Smartthings Hardware being licensed to Aeotec?

Too bad the ST hardware business wasn’t sold to a more capable company like GE or Amazon. I don’t think Aeotec will be able to support the platform well.

2 Likes

Autopilot I think was a product that came out of their acquisition of Popp. it was the first certified z-wave 700 series gateway, but I don’t think it’s on sale yet. Hubitat got that honor.

2 Likes

GE isn’t a hardware company anymore for any consumer-facing devices. Their brand is licensed to Jasco for Home automation and has been for many years. And head to head Aeotec devices compared to Jasco are better engineered with more advanced technology.

Aeotec is one of the leading Z wave manufacturers around the world. My concern is that they have no experience with Zigbee.

4 Likes

For someone like me with mostly Zwave devices, this Aeotec deal is not bad news, although I really need more specifics. I have some Aeotec devices that work well, and they are bigger then many think. Not, “Samsung” big, but I think there is a big commercial market for them. As we’ve seen with Samsung, bigger is not always better anyway. It just adds to the overall uncertainty with everything going on with the platform though. I’ll try and ride the wave as long as it lasts, but it just might not be a bad idea to start thinking of a “plan b” if all goes south.

3 Likes

How I see it, this adds just another layer of bureaucracy between end users and software/firmware releases.

I have an ADT SmartThings hub that hasn’t been updated in years because neither Samsung or ADT will claim responsibility for updating the firmware.

:man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Interesting, so it may not be for all markets

They certified it on the US Z wave frequency. That device is not even legal in the EU.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3994?selectedFrequencyId=2

And they have not yet certified it on the EU frequency. Just sayin’…:wink:

5 Likes

Looks like it’s official now:

1 Like

OK, but why has Aeotec certified a hub on the US frequency but so far not on the EU frequency? Proof of concept? :thinking:

I wish someone would edit the title on this thread.

I have never liked the wording with the current one :slight_smile:

1 Like

The last paragraph seems to contradict the European Market earlier statement…

Our partnership builds upon Aeotec’s world-class experience and commitment to quality in manufacturing smart home devices. We are pleased to collaborate with a company that customers trust and excited to continue bringing SmartThings into every home around the world.

Must say - I am not feeling the ‘Zigbee Love’ from Aeotec… :wink:

1 Like

I actually see it the other way around: I’d guess this is Aeotec‘s path to adding Zigbee to their line. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have desire, just not experience.

Time will tell… :wink:

2 Likes

Said certification doesn’t seem to be listed any more. Perhaps they decided to start off with a cock up to make us feel at home.

8 Likes

I really hope this is the case. I have 98% Zigbee in my house. I prefer it and am too invested to switch now. I’d like to see a brand like this offer both solutions.

2 Likes

I came to smartthings in the first place because I wanted to combine zigbee sensors with Z wave fixed position devices like door locks and wall switches. Zwave doesn’t have to worry about WiFi interference, but zigbee still has better power management and a higher number of hops, which can help with getting signal around tricky obstacles. :sunglasses:

(I actually very recently was finally able to add zigbee contact sensors to my HomeKit set up via Aqara, which made me very happy.)

4 Likes

Aeotec make very expensive sensors and only z wave.

The smartthings motion sensor, button and multi sensors were the best sensors I found for those jobs and also at a reasonable price.

1 Like

:eyes:

1 Like

Lotta familiar faces there. With a new coat of paint…

4 Likes