Smartthings Hardware being licensed to Aeotec?

Based on the Business Insider article and Stacey’s interview, SmartThings would still do the hub firmware development. Basically the only thing that changes hub-wise is that all hubs in the future would be WASH devices.

4 Likes

The complete list of devices from Aeotec is available in the app for the UK. 90% Certified, 10% Compatible.

Just an example:

Certified Date 10/08/2020

3 Likes

Hi all
Is this the company that makes the 6 in one unit? as anyone got one? I want a light sensor but these have it all cheers

Zwave Europe is part of the Aeotec Group

3 Likes

Honestly, I am still confused how will this end up at the end. Aeotec is ok, but they managed to make things already which hasn’t followed standards correctly, and they couldn’t provide a solution for the users. But released a newer hardware revision without saying a word, but leaving the previous ones without any identification difference.

2 Likes

Funny, I got an email from them today regarding the new stick.
I noticed the SmartThings hub in their website several weeks ago and the version they branded. I thought very little of it just figuring it was something for markets not already covered by SmartThings or underserved areas.

2 Likes

You know what this shift away from hardware sounds most like to me? Tuya.

Yes, they make some IOT devices, and they definitely make some appliances, but in terms of IOT their big focus is on a platform that enables other companies to deliver IOT solutions.

But maybe I’m wrong, and really they just want to focus on their smart appliances, phones, and televisions and they are offering the partnerships because it’s easy to do so.

2 Likes

Good point!

subcontracting

It isn’t that easy…

https://amp.reddit.com/r/SmartThings/comments/ig1f7u/awair_dropping_support_f_or_smartthings/

I have had one for the past 9 months. Works fine, however motion range is poor as people have previously mentioned. I also found battery life to be awful, lasting around 5 months (with 2 batteries) in medium traffic area (claimed battery life is 2 years), so disappointing. Now it’s plugged in, no issues. Ultimately, if you need a powered device, then get this. If not, get a Fibaro sensor that does all of what the Aeotec does outside of humidity measurment.

2 Likes

Samsung is not going to directly support ZigBee/zwave so why would they need a hub?

Hence the SmartThings wifi plug and soon to come wifi bulb. .

1 Like

False. Not true at all. ST will continue to support zigbee and z-wave

Do you work for Samsung?

2 Likes

How cool would it be if Aeotec hosted the groovy IDE to keep it alive.

Where did you get this information from?

1 Like

Easy on the Samsung side. It’s definitely harder for the partners than it was pre-2019, because now the partners have to write and support the integration code.

1 Like

On a continuously changing platform… (which is not so well documented)

4 Likes

it for sure would help their business!