Smartthings give me back my dashboard and shortcuts

SharpTools has a widget that displays state (including motion sensors). There are two different Thing widgets:

• “A Thing” is technically a shortcut and uses the blue icon; this allows you to control your things
  • “A Thing (Widget)” is a widget that displays state; this allows you to control your things and see their state

PS. I’m the developer of SharpTools, so feel free to tag me @joshua_lyon or PM me with questions. :smile:

4 Likes

I was out of town for 3 months.
When I left everything was finally working.

I returned Oct 1 and I’m burning out on this.

First, I was using my phone as a presence sensor. I hadn’t been easy to set up, but I got it working. I return in October ans ST no longer sees my phone as present. I am in contact with support, but have not had the time to try there suggestions.

Next, a Zigbee bulb (GE Link) lost its’ wifi capability. I deleted the bulb.
I replaced it with a dimmer.
Now I discover that it doesn’t show up in dashboard. It doesn’t show up in SHORTCUTS.
I try to create a room and add it as a device and it doesn’t add.
In order to find it I have to go to things, so much for being able to do a quick check and quick on/off.
And I created an app, but can’t seem to find it now

It just ain’t right

2 Likes

Really? My schedule is all over the place. So is my wife’s. We both wake, sleep and work at wildly varying hours. I use smart apps to turn on lights and other things, but I used the things page to control what can’t be scheduled more than a few days in advance. I guess I’ll just never be cool enough to become “true smart home user” like you.

4 Likes

I understand your frustration. However, you should be designing your HA around key events in your schedule. I have 5 people at my house, and we have designed events around their schedules, and based on Presence detectors along with motion detectors to light up or turn off lights as needed, It is hard to develop the various routines, but it can be done and implemented nicely within the home environment

It can be done in some households. Not others. There’s no one answer here. Different things work for different people. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I don’t often pull this out of my hat but I’m going to this time.

I spent more than a decade in industrial automation. In that time I designed /built / installed extremely complex control packages for machines with a footprint up to 20’ by 80’

While I no longer do industrial work, I still do something similar, albeit on a smaller scale.
I am very familiar with the concept of automating things.

Every machine I have ever worked on had manual override switches on them. This isn’t because the automated parts aren’t well planned out. They are there, because situations arise that don’t fit the pattern.

Whenever I mention wanting the things page back there’s always someone there to tell me I’m not a “true smart home user” or that I’d be happy without one if only I were smart enough. Just because you are happy without a feature doesn’t mean that those of us who want it back are ignorant, or doing things wrong.

I want it back because and I have my reasons. Stupidity and / or laziness aren’t on that list.

Would someone from SmartThings please let us know what the deal is with this, one way or another.

3 Likes

yes there may be few exceptions BUT if its something that you regularly do then you must figure out how to setup apps and utilize modes. i have no problem with my modes at all. my wife and i only turn on lights manually(using a switch) bc we do not have the item purchased yet that doesnt automate what we do. so just bc one doesnt have the “thing” needed to automate doesnt mean ST is bad. it def is a investment and over time you just continue adding. hopefully everyone can figure it out. it took me quite a while to be comfortable with my setup but now i know exactly what i want next and am already planning my next automation.

Why are you so strongly opposed to users asking for a new things page?

You don’t know me or my household. I’m telling you that we’ve automated everything that makes our life easier, but with there are a lot of times when I want to control things manually. This is especially true, since many of my smart apps have lag or are unreliable.

I don’t know why I’m even bothering to explain myself. I don’t need a reason to want that function back.

By the way, would you mind explaining what a “true smarthome user” supposed to mean.

This isn’t a competition.

4 Likes

I also work in industrial automation, and you absolutely cannot automate everything. Only extremely well defined tasks that NEVER change can be fully automated with no manual overrides. Sure it is worth identifying and trying to automate anything you can within reason, but I would have backups on anything critical, and I have manual override for everything. These are consumer electronics folks, not jet engines (and even they have failure rates).

As someone who automates as much as I can, I want the dashboard back too, and ST has said they are bringing it back. I think like the add user thread, we are just winding each other up while we wait for them to bring back these functions. Fun for some I suppose.

4 Likes

I don’t think they are bringing back the OLD dashboard and its shortcut apps, ever. Those apps have been discarded. Don’t hold your breath for the wonderful new things they are going to bring to replace them. Look, their two flagship apps for V2, Smart Lighting and SHM, are both very buggy, with numerous problems. Their focus will be on fixing those, not bringing back the past that they have chosen to walk away from for whatever reason.

3 Likes

I think we agree. They are bringing something back, something better than before, definitely not what was there before, and since it’s not released we have no idea what that all means. We are spinning our wheels.

For the record, I can’t see how they could not bring back similar functionality, it was extremely useful and is highly missed. You can’t create easy shortcuts anymore. It’s called “Dashboard”. That by itself drives a bit of what it will become.

It’d be nice (wouldn’t so many things) if ST had a moment to share their ideas with the community on what the plan is. No need for commitments, just the idea. Yes there would be a lot of second guessing/whining/complaining, but also a lot of silent understanding, interest and possibly really good feedback. Unless it’s a “few weeks” away from release, then just release it already and hear the same whining/crying and feedback. :smile:

They did this IN SPADES re V2 hub, and then fell down COMPLETELY and didn’t deliver what they talked about. So them telling us what they have in mind is pointless, and misleading. We should assume they aren’t bringing anything new, and that will be closer to the real outcome than any empty promises made by enthusiastic employees.

Why do you believe this? What evidence can you point to?

Ahh, that is the point. THEY BLEW IT OFF ON PURPOSE. Why did they do that? These guys are not rocket scientists, they have made decisions that make no sense to us, they ship software that is buggy all of the time, they break the backend every week in some significant way. This has been going on for a very long time. I expect it to continue indefinitely.

2 Likes

I trust @slagle (note, he committed to no timelines, I never expect timing on software, burned too many times not even by ST, by many companies).

And this pic in this article suggests the same.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m bothered they are not there, but for the price/value I get out of this thing, I can afford to be patient. I’m still impressed. Prior to ST, I could not make anything work reliably on as many devices as I have today. YMMV.

Brian,

All v1 hub users that upgraded to the v2 App on their phone, had a dashboard as shown in those pictures. Unfortunately, when one migrates to a v2 Hub, you lose all of the old dashboards, except SHM. So, I wouldn’t try to glean too much information from those pictures on what the future holds.

Dan

1 Like

I have nothing against Tim, but even @Ben, founder and VP, got the V2 hub completely wrong, and led us to believe it would be something it is not. So did @Alex, the CEO. So, I’m afraid that Tim’s enthusiasm doesn’t trump the organization’s ethos.

2 Likes

The specific pic I showed was the V2 app. I use V2, I know what it looks like right now. A big empty whitespace on the front of the app, begging for dashboard type functionality.

Then we do unfortunately disagree, but very respectfully, you make some mean code. I hope I’m right, but recognize that history shows you to be accurate. Meanwhile, love my hub, you couldn’t pry it from me even with all it’s flaws.

What I “should be doing” is what works best for my family and I. You don’t get to make that call for anyone else but yourself.

2 Likes

Where have they said that?

Brian - Please re-read my earlier reply. I know the pics are of the v2 App. When I upgraded my old v1 Hub based system’s “v1 App” to the new “v2 App,” I had all of my Dashboard categories still there, looking and working normally. This is what those pics are showing. They are not showing the future of SmartThings, IMHO.

After upgrading my hub to v2, I lost all of my Dashboards, except for SHM. This is what everyone is complaining about. We know the old dashboards still work. So why not allow them to be used until suitable replacements can be developed?

1 Like