[OBSOLETE] Smartthings-for-Broadlink-RM-Pro - Smartthings Handler for Broadlink RM Pro using RM Plugin, RM Bridge & Home Assistant

1 Like

Darn it. I should have made better documentation and taken pictures along the way. Basically, I used this vendor on Amazon:

And used these adapters:

The manuals are pretty helpful, and there are numerous videos on how to do it (search for roller shade motor).
The biggest hurdle for people has been the inner diameter of their existing tube. Some reported they had to use a PVC tube, or there is a single vendor that ships specific tubes cut to length ( the link of that provider is in Amazon comments section). Mine was not so, 3 shades had 28mm and the biggest one has 32 mm diameter. I used the bigger (38mm) one for that.
Eventually, I set up a BroadLink, taught it each remote’s frequency, and used it for a while. Next, I used the RM bridge method, and connected BroadLink to ST. And from there I set up IFTTT to open and close them. I was able to even make the weather underground applet to open and close shades at sunrise and sunset.
Let me know if any of this makes sense. Be happy to help.

1 Like

Hi

This was the method i first looked at. I could not for the life of me get it to work but then suddenly it did and i honestly cant remember what i did as i had tried so many variants and options of this system and different DH!

I have started all over again and back to square one cant get it to work.

I can learn the rf codes and i can get the on code to work great when i test it on a web browser. I now however have issues learning the off code and keep getting a warning about 128 bytes!

Either way, now when i set up smartthings and try to switch my device on it does nothing. I cant see what step ive missed at all. Ive got the DH installed and that shows up fine. Ive input the ip adress, port, username abd password but i must be missing something
What other bits of the DH code do i need to modify in order for this to just work?

Can you show me your set up?

Thanks lots

I know how it feels. Sorry I am not sure what have you done wrong. This is probably a dumb set of ideas, but:

• are you on the same network and with same network settings (same ISP, same router)?
  • are you using the same scripts for DH? everytime you set RM bridge app on a device, it generates a new IP. it might be the cause.
  • have you tried to start from scratch?

I have noticed that the codes can be saved, and recycled for future use. I have RM bridge on my phone, which was not gonna be a durable option (I carry it with me out of home, battery life issues…), so when I used the new device, the IP generated differed. But you can import all your codes: login using the RM Bridge web interface, and then load your old settings, but logging in to your broadlink using the old IP and port. now go back a page, use the save settings option, and then load the broadlink again, and copy and paste the long string of JSON code into a plain text file. now you can go back and change the IP and load a “new device” (it’s same broadlink device, just using the newly generated RM bridge IP, and use restore option.

lastly, I suspect the fact that you can use the web command to send on command through, means the RM bridge app as well as the broadlink itself are functioning properly. maybe the ST is at fault?

yeah i am wondering if there is a way to add google play services and play store to the fire tv stick so i can add my google account i purchased the app with and get my paid licence onto the fire stick , right now i am using an old samsung galaxy s5 alpha that i jerry rigged to run without a battery trouble is that it sometimes wont stay booted if you shut it down, once it is running it is golden but if the power goes out it sometimes takes me like 50 boots or more to get it to stay up without shutting off because says low battery , i wired a charger to both the usb charge port and to the battery terminals and i used a 270 ohm resistor to the temp pin too but it is still picky to get it to boot up and stay on

also i am using the RM taskr plugin with alexa bridge turned on and my devices added through there , with alexa and the the ST alexa skill obviously so i am wondering if this is going to cause any conflicts like my devices showing up twice, because the ST alexa skill shows devices and then alexa detects them as smart home devices outside the ST skill
will i get copies of my devices and get conflicts? will i have to delete all my devices in alexa bridge and re add them in through ST?

that has to be one of the worst most poorly written and put together tutorials i have ever read

first off the way it is titled makes no sense at all it says "broadlink smartthings and alexa integration"
but her project and smart things is not even needed at all for alexa to work with broadlink if you are using the RM taskr plugin the RM taskr plugin apps main function is the alexa bridge
no ST hub or ST cloud service is needed at all to get broadlink RM pro to work with alexa
just the RM taskr plugin app

which brings me to my next complaint about that project
i already have the RM taskr plugin setup with my broadlink and i am already using the alexa bridge and have all my devices and macros set up in there
and i also have ST hub that i use with alexa and the ST slexa skill

but she never addressed how that would even work

alli am looking to do is get the devices in the alexa bridge section of the RM taskr plugin app to show up in ST so i can use PIR sensors and proximity to switch them on or off
none of this is ever addressed of course , just the totally redundant alexa contol

the main concern here is if i install this , her device handlers and i am the using alexa bridge
and i already have it all set up and alexa smart home already has all my devices listed which it does and i am using the ST alexa skill also , which i am
then if i install this DH and tell alexa to discover devices are they going to show up twice?
she make no point to address people who are already using the RM taskr plugin app with alexa bridge
i have hundreds of devices already added in there
if i add her DH and discover devices it is going to add the devices again and cause conflicts and cause me to flip my $hit or what , i am guessing yes because alexa smart home already sees the devices in smart home and if they are added in ST then wont it see them again when they are imported to ST or does her DH make it so they only sow up once?

Hi. Need some advice and hope that u able to help. I installed the rm bride. Can u advice what u meant by on path and off path. I am configuring the st to control by curtain and had successfully install learned the rf in the broadlink app.

Thanks!!

Found this thread that looks promising. Alternatively I side loaded my android apps to my fire stick.

I not been able to integrate rm plugin to ST as of yet, I got bored and left it but I shall be returning to it soon I think.

Just for anyone else googling who comes across this… yes, there is a pc/mac alternative, however the one i found was created by one of the developers that eventually created either ‘RM Bridge’ or ‘RM Plugin’… And i think development switched over to the phone, so the apps would be a little dated but should still work… I’m sorry i couldn’t be more specific but i’m working off of a 2 year old memory of when i accidently found the apps… But they are out there. You could also setup HA on a computer too, HA has full support for Broadlink devices from what i’ve read…

I’ll eventually be taking the HomeAssistant route myself, once i get around to setting up my server… I haven’t gotten that far yet but i’ve read that ST and HA can work together using MQTT, so i’m gonna try it and see if i can get my Broadlink rm and A1 sensor to talk to work

1 Like

I confirmed that it works fine on HA

@btrial like your momentary for a different usage - I will incorporate in my X-10 dh for dimming. X-10 doesn’t really give valid feedback or any feedback on most of the devices all you can do is press button and see the change in the physicscal device. Glad I stumbled on this, thank you for this

Has anyone elses RM Bridge stopped working? Was working fine up until about an hour ago :frowning:

Will be able to tell you in an hour

It’s back working again now​:blush::grinning:

is there anyone using this device handler /smart app who was already using the RM plugin apps alexa bridge with alexa before setting this up
who is also using the smartthings alexa skill?
i am scared to set this up because i am afraid i will end up with 2 of every device in my alexa smarthome if i do it
i already can control all of my broadlink devices using the RM plugin alexa bridge and i use the smartthings alexa skill for HUE , but through the hue bridge and some lixada h801’s with custom FW /DH/smart app
i already have a problem with my HUE devices showing up twice in alexa smarthome even though i switched from the HUE skill to the smart things skill

how do i set this up and avoid alexa discovering the devices through both the smart things skill and directly from the RM plugin alexa bridge?
this is never addressed , would i need to enable the HTTP bridge in the RM plugin and disable the alexa bridge or leave them both on? or does the DH just make it so it just works or ami going to have duplicates in my alexa smarthome when i set this all up and then tell her to discover devices?

Any idea if you can use Home Assistant on a regular NAS drive? I have an old Netgear one that would be good to use… At the minute I’m using RM Bridge on a Kindle that is always on. I find that I can’t use the Kindle for anything else otherwise it disrupts the bridge and things stop working.

Hi btrial,

Have been successfully using this DH for a few months now and its been great.
Unfortunately, this does not seem to work on the new merged Samsung Connect, Smartthings App. I simply get an error saying “Could not connect to device”. Have you tried playing around with it?

Any of custom device handlers currently works in Samsung connect app and in general it is not adviced to use it yet. At least that is their official statement at the moment. For more info check threads about new Samsung connect app.

@DanielJafari Could you please guide me as to how flash Android on Raspberry Pi 3 to install the apk file on it? I’m new to Raspberry Pi world…

Shall i use it with broadlink mini 3? i’m not interested in RF feature just irda to switch on tv and home theatre