Smartthings extend bait and switch

I just can’t believe how absolutely abysmal customer their customer service department is. Basically saying how i made this all up? I really don’t understand why they continue to treat customers this way. I’m really second guessing ever buying a Samsung product again. I find it infuriating as time passes with no response.

I still can’t believe the only response I received was buy a new TV.

It’s not like I have thousands to throw around and who’s to say that they won’t do the same thing again

and FYI, the new TV doesn’t act as a hub either. It’s just another app. So not the same as the original concept of the extend which made the TV a hub.

So take it to the media, like you suggested.

You may generate enough bad press temporarily to get someone to follow through on offering you a freebie, maybe an apology.

But they’re not going to give you a ST extend, as @Automated_House mentioned it doesn’t really exist anymore.

Threats to sue, in a situation like this, seem like a total waste of time though.

2 Likes

Like I said. I called support 6 months ago and questioned when the extend would be released. After 2-3 minutes on hold I was asked for my address and received a v2 hub in the mail in a couple days. Nothing you post here on this user forum is going to resolve your concerns.

I called support and i was on the line for an hour and got no where.

Did you call Samsung support or smartthings support?

Samsung seems to keep blaming ST

try emailing support@smartthings.com This seems to get directly to SmartThings specific folks instead of wading through the sea of Samsung phone support. Or call support and choose the SmartThings option instead of TV (not sure what you chose before). If you can get to the SmartThings specific folks then i think you’ll be a lot happier.

1 Like

Samsung support.

That’s exactly the problem. Imagine in your anger, you opted to wage an expensive public relations campaign against Samsung. Even if you used their own words against them, they would clearly be able to afford to “out-lawyer” you… and you’d end up paying them for defamation or something.

And so the Samsungs of the world get to keep lying to prospective customers, with impunity, in order to make sales.

1 Like

Which ginormous, multi-national, mega-conglomerate is primarily looking out for their customers’ best interests anyway? As opposed to the interests of shareholders and executive management, I mean.

I’d buy my next TV from them, if there is one.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve stated as much here more than once. I don’t buy on anything other than current capability, and I no longer buy Samsung.

But it’s about more than me. It’s about the way the free market is “supposed to work”, where hypothetically a litany of lies and bad products warns others about a bad company, and puts that company out of business.

The reality of course is that the mechanism is mere hypothesis. It does not in fact occur in the real world in most instances.

1 Like

It is very ironic, but true…

• SmartThings probably wouldn’t exist today had they not been acquired by a big company, due to needing the resources of that big company.
  • The big company is strong enough to withstand reputation issues. That wasn’t the original reason for SmartThings needing acquisition (as it had a steadily improving reputation completely within their control); but it is now a component that keeps the platform alive and growing.

It’s a better system than most alternatives, but sometimes it does fail.

2 Likes

Anyone have an update on this? I bought this TV in part based on the promise regarding Smartthings Extend made at CES 2016 and advertised as part of the TVs description. i.e. “We’re making it available free of charge to every customer who purchases a 2016 SUHD TV”