Smartthings devices becoming unavailable too frequently to be reliable

My Smartthings temp/humidity sensors and also motion sensor with temp/humidity sensor showed unavailable in Jan 2019 and the same back in Mar 2018. I have returned to my house and paired the devices again. That is not acceptable. I live outside the US for part of the year and rely on those devices in the winter to tell me if my house is freezing up. I have owned a v2 hub since 2015 and use the system to control lights also. The Smartthings platform has always been too unstable for alarm sensors but I am rethinking the use of temperature sensors now.

1 Like

You might try deactivating the “Device Health” swich. That action seems counterintuitive but it solved my “device unavailable” problem. Now, if I can just get the Automation routines to reliably work …

I think that “Skippy” the programmer needs to get his butt in gear.

2 Likes

Sounds like the devices that you are having problems with are all Zigbee… the guide may help:

Battery operated devices, especially Smartthings devices drain batteries quickly, it would be unwise to trust thousands of dollars worth of real estate on battery operated devices, it may be worth searching the forum for a power conversion for those devices so they run on usb power rather than battery

Hub firmware updates also affect hub up time and on occasion devices fail to reconnect on reboot

Internet down time can also affect device stability, for lots of reasons trusting those devices to solely protect a property is un wise and not wholly Smartthings fault

Infact if that is your only issues your doing very well indeed

1 Like

It’s tough to have to rely upon just one platform particularly when you are far away for long periods. I think redundancy is the key. A smart thermostat, for example, will monitor for temperature and humidity and alert.

My Honeywell Prestige thermostat has been very reliable. I only rely on ST for a remote area such as a crawl space.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks for the link to the guide. The guide is well written and should be required reading for wireless users. It will take time to digest.

For a condensed version from a practical viewpoint, see the community version of the guide. Start with post 11, read that, then go up to the top of that thread and read the whole thing. (The thread title is a clickable link)

1 Like