"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

This thread and the other several on the same subject remind me of the folks that beg and plead to get in on a beta then complain like crazy when something breaks.

And no, before someone reads my comment as suggesting these apps are beta - that’s not what I am saying.

8 Likes

more like friend that has setup webcore they only open ST if they need to do somethings manually which should be very minimal as thats the point of home automation

Tempest meet Teacup

3 Likes

They released the update before the email and the connect app is preloaded and automaticly updated on my phone so when it puts smarthings devices in my notification bar its a bit hard to ignore :slight_smile: . Your a bit off base there bud, cool off :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Agreed. I just asked two questions when I posted. I guess no one has an answer

I always jump in the Betas to make it better for the next guy. Never the one to complain about a decision I made to take a risk.
But there is a difference to announcing a project then starting it, VS starting a project, rolling it out, and then announcing it.

Watch the stereotypes.
That would be like me saying something unreasonable like; Those people in the uk might have a different release schedule than in the US. So they might not see the same release for a while.

1 Like

I tried to answer the first one. The second, only support can answer.

1 Like

You do seem very wound up about it. You are also making an assumption about who I’m referring to.

However, what’s that expression? If the cap fits, wear it.

2 Likes

I can think of a couple of phrases for you as well.

But if I made a mistake about who you were referring to next time be clear who you are talking about when you say passive aggressive things like:

Then there will not be any confusion.

In the Apple App Store, if you use the search feature to search for “samsung connect”, the first result is “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)”. So I think it’s understandable that people “downloading the Samsung connect app” would think it was the new Smartthings app.

1 Like

I read the email this morning and got the impression that the app was out of beta, as, if I remember correctly, the email said if you were a new user you should use the new app. That indicates that it is ready for the public despite not being a finished product. Did I read this incorrectly?

Brian

2 Likes

got the new app installed… does it support anything?

only thing that works is I can finally control my Samsung TV again.

No Smartthings hub that I can add, No Wemo Support, No Google Home support, No Nest support…

again, whats the point?

99% name changes only.

1 Like

I downloaded the new app just to look under the hood and see what the differences are. Wow! From what I see it is a totally different beast, but I won’t know until I have to start adding things.
I was happy that in the devices, Arlo cameras and Cree lights are supported, but disappointed that the Bosch motion sensors were not listed. I only have 4 of them so for now that is not a big deal. Everything else I own is Smartthings devices.
Does anyone know if the two can co-exist at the same time?

Brian

S7 Edge with Connect pre-installed so it auto-updated.

Same exact name in app drawer and the open app list. Thanks, Samsung, not confusing at all for the SmartThings users with Samsung phones with Connect pre-loaded. And no, I did not read or even see the email. I do not spend my time sitting around waiting for and immediately reading emails from vendors. I have a life. Put the messaging in the app where it belongs.

Screenshot_20180305-230919

6 Likes

Was about to say something similar, some of us are using Samsung devices that auto update, the updates are not our choice, an email that says you need to do nothing yet implies it will update when ready… it did !! so please do not lampoon users as it is totally unreasonable, another thing why release something that is not ready ?? we did not know it was not ready, for all we know they thought it was ready and we the Guinea pigs ! I actually like some parts of the new connect app, ST integration is becoming and looking usefull and it definately appears the old app which i still prefer will be deprecated, Samsung do seem to be trying to get the St interface into one unified front end in line with there Os look and feel with added support for new and future devices

So please stop lampooning those who have done nothing wrong, we are actually providing feedback and this will help resolve issues which will benifit everyone

Microsoft do similar things, they push out updates and use general realease feedback to improve and update, usually just update and less improve but it is definately not unusual

So as a forum feedback i am seeing that Amazon Alexa, IFTTT and life360 are available as accounts to connect too, modes are now visible and selectable, automations from smart apps are now showing with on/off switches next to them and if you select a smart app all the configuration options are there and resolving in a unified ish way, i am sure there is much more but this is a major step forward for the connect app

But as i said before it is not perfect, it has issues and is going through growing pains

It would make complete sense to change the ST Classic app to look and feel like the connect app for those that do not have Samsung devices, If you have a Samsung device the store app will say " already installed " and the apple version of Smartthings will get a major Ui update to also look and feel like the new Connect app, that would make complete sense

2 Likes

Now that the noise has died down a little, I’m itching to know when this is really going to happen (as all I can see so far is a name change).

I’ve already been moved on to the new app, I was using Samsung Smart Home for my oven, which wasn’t supported in ST. Following that, the TVs were neutered in ST so I now also have them in Connect ST (which isn’t nearly as good, but I thought I may as well). All of my automation and the majority of my smarthome is still in ST Classic though, and nothing has moved over to Connect ST. I have two separate accounts with identical usernames and passwords.

So, I have to use both. I’m a bit worried that might hinder the migration process. Should I worry?

Lets some up this thread and Facebook groups

Most people that are having problems are people with Samsung phones that have apps preloaded plus get updated without their decision. They both appear to be called smartthings you don’t see the full name of the app only different icons. As its a samsung phone it has a samsung account that it uses for everything. If you have purchased your hub within the last 6 months (maybe more not 100% sure when ST switched) you would of used a samsung account to create your hub the new connect app pulls the ST stuff in without you asking. This is why I stick/recommend stock android phones (OnePlus/Pixel).

Some people can’t wait and have to download new apps (from a fb group)

How did you guys even get to see your devices?
I downloaded it but it doesn’t even recognize my email address and had to register as new user (with the same email address as my SmartThings “classic” app).
After I registered, my hub is not found. So now I had to wait for the instructions…

if your not in the SmartThings/Samsung Account Migration Beta I would not risk doing anything its not worth it.

1 Like

Am I missing something? I got an email from ST saying the old version will be called Classic and the New one will be Samsung Connect. When I go to the play store and search for the classic or the connect, both appear to be installed and linked the the current version that I have. So how does one get the new version? and will the current one be renamed to Classic

@ahmed24
It all depends on which phone system you are using. The users with Samsung phones had no choice, they were automatically updated to the new version. I am not sure if they are able to go back and reinstall the older version. On iPhones, you have to go to the Apple app store and you will find both versions. One is labelled Smartthings (Classic) which is the older version and Smartthings (Samsung Connect). The two versions are very different from each other. But you have a choice with Apple devices for now.
I think eventually the newer app will be a lot better, but for now, there is a lot of pain as most of the users use custom device handlers and custom apps that have been deprecated in the new version. For example the Bosch motion sensors which use a custom device handler are not available at this time.
The biggest problem that I see is for those people that were using Smartthings for home security and had a lot of non-Smartthings devices and those with a lot of lighting devices.

Brian

1 Like