"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

From the product page:

Now, that’s Smart!
Q SMART
Find favourite entertainment in the one place, with streaming services, TV and your connected devices collected at the Smart Hub. Select and enjoy right away, or view thumbnail previews before diving in.

Family Hub, Smart Hub, SmartThings Hub - thanks for the clear branding, Samsung…

2 Likes

They defo got the naming wrong, looking at the tv specs it appears the tv has a smartthings app that mirrors a connected samsung phone which in turn is running the smartthings app

My samy has a smarthub and it is easy to understand the confusion by users

It would be pretty short sighted to add a smartthings hub inside the tv as v2 is now long in the tooth, doing the app mirror makes much more sense

It gives the tv a longer lifespan with regard to home control

Tbh i would very much like that app inside my sammy, in the app section there is a lovely big samsung banner that does jack, its just begging for that app

Maybe it’s something similar to the ShieldTV, it come with the hub software pre-installed and you can start building automation with WiFi devices and devices that have Cloud integration, then if you want ZigBee or Z-Wave you can plug the USB radio accessory to it… so no certification for the TV itself…

I received a response from Samsung support, but the agent didn’t really answer the question. She went on about the app and controlling the TV with the app.
So I wrote back trying to get a clear answer on whether or not there is a hub inside.

Wouldn’t it by easier to look on the back of the TV (or maybe the box it came in), find the FCC id and then look it up? That will tell you if it has Zigbee and Zwave radios in it. Support aren’t going to know, they’ll just read the specs from the public web site.

2 Likes

TV is being delivered to my new condo in a couple of weeks.

I just received a definitive response from Samsung support:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.

I understand your question. The Smartthings hub is not installed in the TV. You need to connect the smartthhings hub, smart devices and this TV to same Wifi network, in order to connect use the SmartThings. The TV will display the devices connected to the Hub.

So, we need an external hub to connect all the smart devices. "

So now we know

3 Likes

Exactly…You Still need a Samsung SmartThings hub.

I’m new to smartthings, only moved due to the TV integration. I used to use Vera/Eventghost/RTI remote. I have a 2018 QLED TV, in the UK, and it does have the app. It connects to my smartthings hub and has shortcuts/buttons/scenes for most devices, separated into rooms. It displays tracking of presence sensors but not phones/tablets. Notifications work just as on phone, as you set them in Automations. Voice control works great too. Not yet connected my IP cameras

How you connecting your cameras to the Tv Simon ? Be interesting to hear your method

Not sure yet, was hoping to use smartthings and it would pop up on TV, sure I saw a video of someone doing this.

Hmm dependant on your type of camera there was a smart app somewhere here on the forum that allowed ipcam integraion unless you are using a smartthings partner camera

I believe I saw a video of this with Arlo cameras

Vlad,
Any idea why there was a new update requiring yet another App Permission? I just got an update for the Samsung Connect app and it’s now asking for the “Device & App history” permission. Why does SmartThings need to know what other apps I have installed?

Screenshot of the new permission request on the update:

2 Likes

I remember the days when a tv was only that… i did chuckle today when my Samy Tv dropped an on screen banner about GDRP and to review the updated text, probably related to the Connect app notice

2 Likes

Apologies for the late response - have been in HQ lately and haven’t really been checking the forums.

As I said before, everything below is subject to change - but here is the latest from the engineering side on permissions.

1. For Device and app history - the reason was for crash reporting but it sounds like this is going to be rolled back in an upcoming release.
  2. Product teams at Samsung and SmartThings have taken notice of the complaints about intrusive app permissions.
  3. Mobile teams at Samsung and SmartThings are both currently wrapping up work on overhauling the permissions systems.

From my understanding, it sounds like in an upcoming release (not sure which one exactly), accepting all permissions that the app may potentially use during install time is no longer going to be the way it works. What will happen is when a user attempts to use a feature that requires a certain permission, the app will then ask for the permission. I’m not sure if there will be a certain set of permissions that are mandatory for install/and if there is what that set would be. If I get any more info I’ll try and share but yea, the complaints have been heard and are being acted on.

11 Likes

I sign up with the Samsung account (not Smartthings) to the old app.
I also sign up with the Samsung account in the Smartthings Console.
Most things do not work in new application.
Will they notified me to when everything is settled on the new app, even if I already use a Samsung account?

They probably won’t notify you until the Classic app is retired, which seems to be a long ways out. I usually check at least once a week what’s new with STSC. Xiaomi devices started working a couple weeks ago.

I have 6 Xiaomi devices, but none are responsive in the new application.
Also, the Sonoff switch does not work.

my contact sensor and motion sensor work. using an old version of bspranger handler.