"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

remember i started again from scratch from the new st app; so i discovered the hub and all my stuff with this new app; later i installed the classic app and over it installed the webcore smartapp with github integration and automatically on the new st app was shown under “automatization” tab.

1 Like

I don’t believe this…for MONTHS our automation are screwed in a way or another, now you introduce a new iOS app ALONG with account migration which got ALL messed up at the end of the day!

WHEN, just an OFFICIAL ANSWER WHEN:

1. ALL account with ALL pistons and automation will be migrated?
  2. Which application should we use for now? I get push notifications on new app and SMS from other app, I can’t see all my devices and not updating on the the new app.

You WILL loose customers if you havent already done in the past few months due to:

1. downtimes
  2. migrations
  3. unstability
  4. 2 apps done with the worst communication and publishing EVER i’ve seen.

I’m sorry i am a little bit harsh, but I AM angry and frustrated as EVERYDAY i go through some faulty experience in my automation!

All I want right now, is an official answer when will this all dilemma be over?!

“Pistons” (all/any of WebCoRE, actually) are in no way an official or even an approved part of SmartThings.

Of course it would be wonderful and customer friendly all ad hoc SmartApps and automations and device type handiers to be migrated: but SmartThings has no obligations - especially for unofficial stuff.

And what good us knowing when?

I understand and respect the feelings of frustration; but after more than 5 years here, I can assure you that it is absolutely a waste of energy to ask “what and/or when”…

If an ST staff member or even an Executive promises a date, then we risk this all being rushed and unstable and a royal pain, or SmartThings risks an endless amount of bitching and whining that they don’t keep promises and a bunch of cliché immature impatient "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet"s.

Things will be ready… whenever (and IF-EVER) they are ready.

Life’s a lot easier without setting yourself up for unmet expectations. Life’s also easier on the hardworking engineers at SmartThings if they can focus on their work and management expectations, rather than our whining.

2 Likes

The problem a lot of us face is that we will be forced to use both apps together for a while. I have a 2018 Q7 TV and you need the new app to set it up and use it. The new TV also has the hub integrated. I can use that hub for a lot of my standard devices, but for all the custom stuff, I will need to setup my V2 hub and use the classic app. And they are not talking to each other.
Not even sure if I can get Google Home to “see” both hubs at the same time.

Yup - It’s a shame that Samsung didn’t port 2018 TV and Appliance technology to the Classic App.

But, pardon me to being extra snarky: Cutting edge consumers really ought to know that risks, delays and hiccups are par for the course.

Folks have survived without “smart TVs” for decades. A few more months won’t kill anyone (nor hurt Samsungs long term success).

1 Like

It does? I thought it was just an app? Didn’t think there was a z-wave and zigbee radio inside.

“extra snarky” :rofl: Snark away my friend. In fact, even though I listed it as a problem, I see it more as a challenge to make it all work in the interim. I’m just a bit miffed that a huge company like Samsung did it this way.
I have a $4K TV that will not actually do what they advertise it should do. So yes, I can live with it, but they still have my money, so I want what I paid for.

1 Like

The Q line has a full hub inside

1 Like

So there is still no way to set smart home monitor to armed/disarmed through an automation process when all members s are away from the new app ?

So the new Smartthings app now supports the ADT system. As of yesterday when I saw the new app, and tested it i was able to see the ADT Alarm states and it worked to change it’s states.

Looks like the main things I see missing at this point is custom device handler support, and a proper way to really manage custom smart applications. All of the custom device handlers, are still not usable from the app, and there is no way to install custom smartapps.

They use the term “Smart Hub” as a reference to it having apps, but there is no certification for a TV on the z-wave or zigbee site, so it doesn’t have a z-wave or zigbee radio. You can still use the smartthings app with it and connect cloud and maybe LAN devices, but no z-wave or zigbee devices without a separate SmartThings hub.

2 Likes

Many articles describe the integrated Smartthings hub. This is one:

https://www.techspot.com/news/73610-samsung-unveils-their-2018-line-4k-qled-tvs.html

From the above article:

“Unique design features aside, Samsung’s new QLED devices will also come packed with smart home control via the company’s proprietary Bixby virtual assistant and their SmartThings smart home platform.
If you haven’t bought into the SmartThings ecosystem yet, don’t fret - the Q-series TVs can act as individual SmartThings hubs, meaning you won’t need to shell out another $100 for a standalone version. As with most other smart home platforms, SmartThings-compatible devices include smart thermostats, locks, lights and more.”

Mine is not yet installed, as I am in the process of moving. So I will know for sure in a couple of weeks

Wouldn’t be the first time a tech journalist mis-interpreted a product launch :slight_smile:

1 Like

It definitely has a SmartThings app. I’m just doubting the “hub” distinction since i’ve seen nothing to indicate it has a z-wave and zigbee radio. Maybe @Zach_Varberg or @jody.albritton can clarify.

Maybe it’s a literal interpretation of Samsung marketing speak - “Make your TV the hub of your smart home!” or similar.

1 Like

I don’t think they need specific certification for the TV if they just integrated the hub’s core, which already has certification

I hear ya Jimmy, just found the image in the Q series blurb

1 Like

Someone on the FaceBook group actually showed a video of the app on their Sammy TV. It’s pretty slick. You can get notifications from Arlo or Ring cameras through it and jump right to the live feed.

1 Like

I wrote to support to clarify. I don’t really care either way since I already have a V2 hub.