"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

grumble grumble… mine and other UE Tv`s dont and mine was bought March 2017 grumble grumble

Hi @fido,

I purcheced my TV just recently and when I logged into the account on the TV to access the smart hub, it created a seperate Samsung account with the same e-mail. I now have a SmartThings Clasic account and a Samsung account. My hub is on the SmartThings Classic and my TV is accassible only via the Samsung account.

I guess, I will have to wait until I get my Banner to migrate my accounts and hope for the best.
Hint Hint @vlad . I really want my entire house to be connected to OneApp LOL.

1 Like

Exactly as it should Imosenko

Well sort off… If you have a latest 2018 Samsung Tv ( dependant on location and Tv specification ) you Should be able to control the Tv with a direct wifi connection now, using the Smartthings/connect app NOT the smartthings Classic ( old app ) but this is only possible IF you have a phone with smartthings/connect pre installed

IF you do not have a phone with Smartthings/connect pre installed the app should be available to you no matter which phone O/s you use, once logged in to the Smartthings/connect app a device search Should find your Tv and provide full control

Some members on the forum advise against installing the Smartthings/connect app and with good reason, however the fact remains that all new users of Smartthings are being advised to use the NEW Smartthings/connect app so doing so should not cause much frustration as long as you accept it is a very new app that has limited functionality and is under constant development

Entire house smart connection or even part house smart connection is possible… but like many things IT it is down to the software devs to make it useable, and from my experience - useable - is very hard to design

In my humble opinion, the current Smartthings/connect app is cold and un inviting with the tactile look and feel of concrete, maybe thats just me

1 Like

@fido,

You missed the entire description once again…My 2018 Samsung 55" Smart TV with is connected via the Samsung SmartThings (Connect) app from the point when I logged in using my SmartThings credentials and it created a Samsung account with my original SmartThings credentials. My request to @vlad is that ST can merg both my profiles which are using the same e-mail into one with out disrupting my Home Automation. At this point it is more about Wife Approval. And Not getting the hub flying out of the back door at that concrete wall in my back yard. The same wall that claimed the life of both of my original Sirens which died during SmartThings FAILURES! @JDRoberts may recall my previous posts telling those stories.

2 Likes

Yup your right i missed your point completely, tbh after reading more i have no idea what your point is. My apologies

No worries. I kind off went off track. I am anticipating another CF by SmartThings. But I am crossing my fingers for my house not to go all SkyNet on me. :wink:

2 Likes

This seems a bit ominous.

from the FAQ on the Samsung (not SmartThings) site:

SmartThings is optimized for Samsung smartphones, so some of its features may be restricted on smartphones manufactured by other companies.

@jkp

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :cry: :angry: :grimacing: :roll_eyes: !!!

3 Likes

Of course, it may just mean the Bixby – related features. We will just have to see.

That’s what I was thinking.

1 Like

Thank you, Vlad, but the implementation is terrible right now. You currently cannot start the app without granting the permission. Either your developers are incompetent or disingenuous (lying.) Are you able to find out which one?

2 Likes

Does anyone have issues with the “SmartThings Panel” never keeping the settings? I like this feature as I have my 3 door locks there so it’s quick to pull down the notifications to use them. However it keeps adding my Gear S3 as a 4th device, even though I always go in and turn that off. Then today I woke up, pull down the notifications and it’s showing the 3 locks plus 1 random Hue light in my basement. I had to go in and turn that off. It does this all the time, constantly just adds random devices to the panel. Are there any other ways to have a quick way to unlock my doors without having to open the SmartThings app?

Interesting you mention a gear s3, i have a gear s3 and for no apparent reason it added itself to a second location called MyStatus and it was listed as an OCF Device ??

1 Like

After update the Login from Classic Acct to Samsung Acct. When I log on the Web site of the Samsung acct, I saw two "Home"s location under “Locations”. One “Home” location was from the classic app. The other “Home” location was probably from the Samsung Connect acct. Is this normal to see both Home’s locations there? I though that they should be merged into one location. Does anyone see the same thing?

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn’t work for me. Both "Home"s location under “My location” on the IDE at https://account.smartthings.com are showing “true” under the “Default location” and both are read-only (Greyed out) so I could not edit either of them!

wowzers. Email support and see if they can set one to false on the back end.

Did they ever roll out the new app? I got an email back about a month ago but never saw anything else?

Its out, but they aren’t recommending to use it yet if you’re already using Classic.