"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

Interesting. So when you go to add a new automation in the new app you don’t get this list?
The new SHM is apparently not the same as the Classic version. It’s developed with the new API.

Nada

I get Conditions and Actions and under actions (Locations not shown as an Action because I turned Location off because my Routines were firing 2x). I’m sure that they have this tied into the same IDE as Classic right now.

I’m telling you that if they go down the same path in which they developed the classic app, they are going to have the same inconsistencies between IOS and Android (Tile sizes, text size, Done versus Save). They don’t follow one single set of protocols which is absolutely horrible. Should be one team working together delivering identical specs for each platform.

1 Like

Interesting. That’s what I get when I choose Custom Automation. It’s better than Smart Lighting at least!

1 Like

They have a long way to go. I’m holding out hope that when they deliver the final product, they deliver identical functionality for both platforms and the fact that they do their own internal UAT, that hope is slim.

I am seeing the same thing as you. I was getting really worried that my beta migration got messed up due to already having a Samsung account and Samsunng Connect when I saw screen shots showing things other than just devices like smart apps. Hopefully things work out with the new app. I am not looking foward to recreating everything.

Just don’t make a single change in the new app because it’s tied to the same IDE. Go look at the last post I made in another thread about my mobile phone being deleted from Classic app because I turned off Location services on the New Connect. I did this because my Routines were running 2x.

I haven’t messed with anything in the new app. I did see where others lost everything by reclaiming thier hub again and other issues. I have stuck to just checking it for changes every so often. I did notice that in the classic app and IDE that I have two locactions (the original and the phantom from the beta migraton), but in the new app I only have 1 location. Back when it was the Samsung Connect app I had 2 locations just like in the classic and IDE. My robot vac showed in both locations after the last hub firmware update and I had 2 versions of the phone in each location. My KS series tv was only listed in the phantom location. Now I only have one of each listed in the new app, all in one location with my other ST devices. The duplicate phone, vacuum and TV still show up in the phantom location in the classic app and IDE. There seems to be a difference, but I am not sure why. I guess I will just wait and see what happens.

1 Like

I’m surprised you are posting this when you have been so vocal (and quite rightly so) about the fact the new app is not ready for prime time yet. You are just adding fuel to the fire where none should exist - at least not yet…

Why can’t folks just leave alone until we’re told to go for it. Then we can all gripe about what’s not working but until then you are wasting your breath.

3 Likes

Given that new customers for the Samsung Connect Home and the new phone are been told to use the new app, I think it’s valid to point out distinctions in features that exist even for those setting up a brand new system. To my mind that’s different than discussing migration issues when we’ve been told not to migrate yet.

So if SHM exists on one platform but not another even for a brand new Samsung connect home customer, I think that’s a reasonable discussion topic at this time.

JMO

10 Likes

All Jimmy and I we’re doing is comparing what exists in the apps for both IOS and Android.

Has nothing to do with who should use it or not. Just making observations as they are adding to the application.

3 Likes

Okay fair enough. Personally, I’m done reading anything more until we’re given the green light. It’s otherwise potentially too confusing given the multiple threads and second guessing going on. I pity anyone coming in fresh to the Community and reading all this right now.

6 Likes

That damage was done when 15 threads on the same topic was thrown up. Nothing we say now is going to add any less or more confusion. People either realize that the Classic app is primary, or they are already confused and running in circles. I am hoping that Jody and team will look at my post in the s9+ SmartThings thread and post an official announcement about the email, in app notification and the why’s, what’s and do nots of the new app right now.

All I know is that trying out the new app completely fried my entire account. The only solution was to completely delete my Samsung account, reset my hub, get my welcome code from support, and start completely from scratch. Smartthings support couldn’t figure out what happened. All I did was login with the connect app and it all crapped the bed from there.

1 Like

Earlier today I was not able to enter into my existing routines’ configuration settings in the app (iPhone) and received a “You are not authorized to perform the requested automation” error. After yesterday’s platform outage and fearing I was about to loose everything, I decided to write down all my routines, SmartApps, modes and virtual switches to make life slightly easier if I have to rebuild from scratch.

I had both apps before the non-update/update.

I purchased a Samsung Vacuum in December that only works the the Connect App, and I had the Smartthings App after I got the hub and started installing the devices in January.

So, I already had accounts and had logged in to both. Which seems to be the key.

If you were using both before the non-update/update, everything is fine. If not, don’t install or use the Connect(new Smartthings app)

Currently,I can go into either and I see most of my devices in both. I am going to make sure not to change anything in the Connect app until this is worked out.

1 Like

Anytime there is a Platform Outage, you can look under General SmartThings Discussion and follow that days outage topic.

After the outage, I raised this to the SmartThings staff and as of a few minutes ago, creating/editing Routines and Smart Lighting rules has been fixed.

I had a Samsung update on my S8+ to version1.7.02-45 on the new app. I can now see my smart apps in the app now. I am now longer worried as much about my account migration. The location differences are still a question. Forward progress…

Hi all,

Let my add my 2 cents.

I just had a plesent chat with SmartThings (ST) support over the phone. What I learned:

1. If you accidentally/on-purpose created a Samsung SmartThings account and it is using your existing Legacy ST e-mail for account name, than it will be that much easier for them to migrate your account to the new Samsung ST platform.
  2. If you have the #1 down, than after they migrate your account to the Samsung platform, and you go into the IDE, you will at that point see only one account. Instead of this:
  3. They don’t recommend that you ask them to delete the new Samsung account for those of us who are Legacy SmartThings users for the above reasons.
  4. From chatting up the ST phone support tech, I got the jest that the migration is ramping up; especially if you already have a Samsung account with same e-mail as the Legacy ST.
1 Like

Just a quick comment on Android/iOS inconsistencies from a general development perspective - it’s more complicated to develop for Android due to the much more fractured installed base - the range of screen sizes, screen resolutions, Android OS versions, smart phone & ISP vendor Android OS customizations, etc. So it should be no surprise at all, especially during a big transition period, that there will be periods when the iOS/Android apps are out of sync.

I understand being out of sync for some in-app features, like maybe the way sorting works on the screen. Or even whether or not you can access the contact book.

I don’t understand being out of sync for platform features, like whether you can set up smart home monitor or not.

4 Likes