"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

:grinning: I wasn’t disagreeing with you. It all gets buried. I was just stating that we are doing the work for them. If we didn’t all post for everyone, there would have been an even bigger uproar and upheaval, then someone may have stepped in to moderate.

Hopefully Vlad can convey the importance to the Product side.

Shortly after our other posts, we received the new email. This won’t have any impact on the folks that previously participated in the Account Migration Beta. That email refers to the same process that everyone else will be going through.

This was another opportunity that in addition to the email, they could have been posted in the Announcements section. So now we will see more panic and chaos from this latest email.

Having just recieved the transition email i really really wish there was a dedicated section for OneApp … good luck to support your gona b busy

The email was about account migration but said to continue using the classic app until further communication :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since this thread seems like a popular place, i’m going to post two links to info about the account migration

4 Likes

There really should be somethings posted in the FAQ about having to log back in to the Alexa skill.

1 Like

They addressed some of the bugs such as the GitHub integration in the 2nd and 3rd beta test rounds.

I posted that summary of bugs (that you and me went thru in round 1) in the new thread that was created.

@slagle I believe confirmed the GitHub one. Not sure about the Alexa Skill or other bugs as listed in the post above

I thought Slagle posted in Centercode that there wasn’t anything they could do about the Alexa one. hopefully the new location bug as addressed.

Hopefully OneApp will report 35 devices after the transition rather than the 70 it currently reports :grin:

In any case, any nuance, issue or big that they didn’t get resolved in the final beta test rounds, should be documented in some sort of procedure as to what you need to do post migration of your account (@vlad can you convey this as well?)

There were 10 or so bugs that came out of the Account Migration Beta which resulted in all of us testers needing to do a bunch of manual things. I documented the summary of these bugs before but as an example:

1. We had to reenable GitHub and then retie all our SmartApps and DHs to them
  2. Disable/Enable Alexa Skill
  3. All Favorites on Dashboard we’re deleted. Had to manually add.
  4. Widgets for IOS users we’re removed
  5. There’s more but you get the idea

Here’s the entire summary of the bugs from Round 1 of the Account Migration Beta:

@vlad can you make sure that this isn’t overlooked as part of the Migration instructions? This will be a Support nightmare otherwise!

1 Like

If you can already login to the new app then you won’t get a migration

Its rather ironic that the clarification from Smartthings on the two apps (whilst welcomed) will inevitably result in further confusion with the addition of another pseudonym for the new app.

1 Like

I learned a lot when Iris moved from “old” to “new”.

1. Wait as long as you can to “upgrade”. Let some other suckers be the beta testers.
  2. When they couldn’t get their crap together, switch to a different service.
    The Iris “upgrade” is what led me to SmartThings. Hopefully I don’t have to switch again when SmartThings forces me to upgrade.
2 Likes

What the what !! I use the new app but am unable to login to the Samsung account from the old app which uses the St login details

Natural assumption means the New Smartthings app is seeing both IDE accounts hence 70 devices … 35 in each but really only 35 exist in the old St account

Transition to one single IDE ( samsung New St ) and i get just 35

In theory

Just to be clear this aint a call for help just things i notice in usage

Please do track this down. The Google Play Store Samsung reps are answering with lies, saying that you can start the app, just some features may not work, if you don’t provide Contacts permissions. They’re wrong; it won’t even start.

when did you setup your hub?

Already been 3 rounds of Beta Testers

This migration has nothing to do with moving you to the new app.

It is coordinating and migrating all information from your ST account to a Samsung Account. You will continue using the SmartThings Classic app just like the rest of us who participated in the Account Migration Beta. It’s the same IDE, just a new account which can use the same email account you are using now for your ST account.

A year or so ago, i have samsung and st accounts, classic only signs in with original St details, pre installed Connect on phone signs in with Samsung account but displays 70 devices, most devices work fine in Connect / New smartthings except items that are not st stamped and i do not expect any of those to work yet as integration for non st stamped kit is still on going
If classic st signs in with samsung account it means the ide has switched over so stopping the 70 device count
In theory

If the APIs haven’t been written, and DTHs aren’t yet supported and support for custom smartapps isn’t complete… It sounds like the OneApp is a long way off from being remotely ready, at least for “power users”. Frankly, I’m worried. If I were a new user, it sounds like my capabilities would be crippled in comparison to the “classic” version. Seems to me the first rule of any upgrade is to IMPROVE the experience. To be blunt, the smartthings platform is already more than a little dodgey even without a whole new set of issues. (If it weren’t for WebCore, custom DTHs and smartapps, I’d have long since found a different solution!) Smartthings will remain my choice so long as the following conditions are met:

1. Finding an alternative solution is more difficult than fixing my existing problems.

Add more problems, and finding an alternative will be looking a whole lot easier. I guess if there’s a question in that, it’s what you feel the time line here might be. Am I going to get an email next week saying I’ve been migrated, or an email 4 months from now saying I can keep using the old version for a few more months before it’s turned off?

You will have a banner in the SmartThings Classic app that you will press to begin the migration process. All of the Account Migration Beta testers went through this process already. You will be going through the same procedure that we all went through is my assumption.

The Migration will go as follows. You will create a Samsung account if you don’t have one and then log in with that account and then everything you have in your SmartThings account will be moved into the Samsung account.

This migration has nothing to do with using the new app yet. ALL users for SmartThings moving forward will be using a Samsung Account. After you have migrated everything over to the new account, you will continue using the SmartThings Classic app, period.

Whenever that day comes for the new app to be ready, and yes, I agree it’s quite a ways off, at least from what we visibly see right now. I’m sure it is a lot further along in their development environment.

1 Like

I’ve installed it, and two-thirds of my stuff didn’t work, and it messed up some of the rest. I rather quickly removed it before it spread, and not much damage was done, but it certainly wasn’t a pleasant experience. Based on what we’re told, it’s because support for… well, most of my stuff hasn’t been added yet. And that’s fine, if it’s true.

1 Like