"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

I’ll start off by saying that none of this is finalized yet and things may be different when actually released in production but… I can offer you what the current thinking is in regards to how Routines will be handled in the new app.

You guys are correct in thinking that Routines won’t exist in their current form in the new app. We are looking to have a migration process that will convert existing Routines into a combination of DIY Rules and Scenes. We are currently in discussions on how the migration would actually happen (what the UX would be of the migration itself). This is still a ways off - so I wouldn’t expect this to happen soon. Given our history, I’m always hesitant to speak about the future especially when the word “migration” is involved but I do think this one will happen.

In regards to APIs, these are currently being built. You should expect to see the Scene API released publicly before the Routine migration happens. (and remember, by API I mean REST/HTTP, not Groovy)

EDIT: I haven’t read far back into this thread but if you have a question feel free to ask - I’ll try and give an answer if possible ( as long as its information I am allowed to share).

14 Likes