"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

Thank you!

After I posted here I thought a slightly more comprehensive, new post with that suggestion may be appropriate. I can’t be the only one that is seeing or going through this and is a newbie. No SPAM intended!

2 Likes

Samsung and their staff are all over the map with procedures and who knows what in what dept.

As for Samsung appliances (Washers, Dryers,TVs, etc) there were posts early on in the Account Migration thread about the 2nd Location (Home) being created. For most of us this was a phantom (blank), but for those that own a Sasmung appliance, those were inserted into that 2nd Home Location which at the time, I believe that was the Location that Samsung Connect was looking at so I see the correlation there. So many issues with TV’s and what models show and don’t or what ones actually have control (on/off, channels) working, i hope they figure that one out when the new app is ready for flight.

1 Like

My tv shows up in the new app but it’s a phone to tv connection, I don’t think it can be controlled via ST automations.

1 Like

You are coming into SmartThings at the wrong time, or maybe the right time depending on perspective.

ST has been plagued with a lot of things happening lately from outages to nuances in some functionality.

As for the Login, I can only say that this is probably something flukey and no you aren’t the only one to experience login issues or double login requests.

Ride out the storm. Dryer weather is in store. :slight_smile: Fingers crossed, knock on wood, 4 leaf clover . Wishful thinking.

As for successfully logging in. Use the classic app (SmartThings original app) and don’t touch the new one for now. Whenever they are ready to migrate people they will let us know and maybe with no warning (just a migration banner announcement in the current app). This will keep you out of trouble for now.

You are in better shape than some as your account created now is a Samsung Account. More of the people having issues are those that were created on or prior to 05/04/17 and they are trying to go from one app to the other and it’s not designed for ST users so they are creating their own Samsung accounts, logging into the new one and affecting their current ST environment in an adverse way.

3 Likes

Do all or any of those buttons work directly on the device?

Yep, reports on/off accurately also.
Side note this just gave me a chuckle…

4 Likes

That’s pretty funny.

Does the Guide, Source and other functions work as well?

Yeah I tried every button but guide because I don’t have an input that uses that, they all work. (Driving my wife nuts right now)

2 Likes

Well that has promise then. So many threads and complaints about TV’s and integration and even those that integrated, no specific control including power on/off, channels and volume.

What is the exact model of your tv?

UN55KS800D
Firmware 1207.2

1 Like

Have him give you model number when he has a chance. Curious as to what is working and what is not in the new app.

1 Like

@Ryan7777 should have used “shiznit” instead :grinning:

2 Likes

Ok, So I think I missed something. Are we supposed to move to the new app now or are we still waiting for ST to tell us its ok to move over to the new app?

@txsarge
You are supposed to keep using the Classic version until you are told to migrate.

Brian

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I thought. For some reason I thought I missed something about migrating over. :):smile:

1 Like

If your Tv has Bluetooth it could be a Bt connection, my series 6 Tv does not have Bt but i had the same Tv ui for weeks except where your swipe area is i had recent images stored on the phone for quick sharing from phone to Tv, was definately working via there servers except you couldnt turn the Tv on
recently that same Ui has been revoked and i now have the bog standard sharing options with no Tv control, no doubt the Tv controller is being worked on for each Tv series
I did notice a post somewhere on the net about new Samsung Tv`s having new abilities for SH control and background screen saver images so maybe all that is being integrated as well

1 Like

You’re not reading this forum close it enough. It IS you. You’re an idiot for downloading an app with the same name as the controller you purchased and then expecting them to co-exists. It’s not Samsung’s fault that you didn’t have some form of sixth sense to know that you were to download an entirely different app. < /sarcasm>

In my case, I had the original Connect app installed and the new version appeared in the app store as an update before I read any email from Smartthings. It was therefore perfectly reasonable that I would update it - there was NOTHING on the app store blurb that indicated that existing Smarthings users should not update to the new app and doing so could break things.

I can’t see how anyone can say that Samsung have handled this “release” (for lack of a better word) as anything but amateurish.

5 Likes

New Hub incoming too?

Z-Wave Certification Date: 3/12/2018

interesting!

Just another Samsung Connect variant from what the manual lists. Doesn’t seem revolutionary in any way.

1 Like

Is that the same v2 hub?

Here’s the manual.

• Screenshots are of the new Smartthings App (not Classic)
  • Mention of up to 4 additional hubs connected to cover larger houses (not clear if this is wifi or z-wave)
  • Bluetooth used for initial mobile connection to hub (not sure if that’s done today)?