"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

Of course, it may just mean the Bixby – related features. We will just have to see.

That’s what I was thinking.

1 Like

Thank you, Vlad, but the implementation is terrible right now. You currently cannot start the app without granting the permission. Either your developers are incompetent or disingenuous (lying.) Are you able to find out which one?

2 Likes

Does anyone have issues with the “SmartThings Panel” never keeping the settings? I like this feature as I have my 3 door locks there so it’s quick to pull down the notifications to use them. However it keeps adding my Gear S3 as a 4th device, even though I always go in and turn that off. Then today I woke up, pull down the notifications and it’s showing the 3 locks plus 1 random Hue light in my basement. I had to go in and turn that off. It does this all the time, constantly just adds random devices to the panel. Are there any other ways to have a quick way to unlock my doors without having to open the SmartThings app?

Interesting you mention a gear s3, i have a gear s3 and for no apparent reason it added itself to a second location called MyStatus and it was listed as an OCF Device ??

1 Like

After update the Login from Classic Acct to Samsung Acct. When I log on the Web site of the Samsung acct, I saw two "Home"s location under “Locations”. One “Home” location was from the classic app. The other “Home” location was probably from the Samsung Connect acct. Is this normal to see both Home’s locations there? I though that they should be merged into one location. Does anyone see the same thing?

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn’t work for me. Both "Home"s location under “My location” on the IDE at https://account.smartthings.com are showing “true” under the “Default location” and both are read-only (Greyed out) so I could not edit either of them!

wowzers. Email support and see if they can set one to false on the back end.

Did they ever roll out the new app? I got an email back about a month ago but never saw anything else?

Its out, but they aren’t recommending to use it yet if you’re already using Classic.

Why is this?

This has already been discussed multiple times in this thread as well as others.

The new “smartthings (Samsung connect)” app (STSC) is missing some important functionality which the classic app still has. That includes any use of custom device type handlers, any use of custom smart apps unless you add them through the classic app first, other automation features, some Geopresence features, support for the ADT model line, etc. See the official support base FAQ. Everyone who already has classic should continue to use it until you receive an individual message from support to shift over. They do intend to add that functionality, or at least much of it, into the new app, it just isn’t there yet.

If you have any further questions about this, just ask support. :sunglasses:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000114006-New-SmartThings-app-FAQ

5 Likes

Urgh. Gave the new one a try (after receiving email etc).

Advantages? Looks better IMO.

Disadvantages?

• Virtual switches doesn’t work (Virtual Device Creator), used them quite a bit for disabling motion detection, arming alarm etc.
  • Sloooooooow. Slow interface, slow at adding devices.
  • Can’t hit a device and easily see associated smartapps anymore. Instead, all automations are on one big list. Awful.
  • No more routines, it seems.

All in all, a massive step backwards I’m afraid. Why on earth this has gone forward beats me.

1 Like

I agree the app should never have been released in its current state for Smartthings integration, they should have kept it solely for the Samsung appliances with a closed Beta for ST integration when it was more matured

Please do bare in mind we are testing the Alpha/Beta version, it has not been billed as such but for all intense purposes that is exactly what it is, it is undergoing full develoment by various teams with the addition of Harmon now as well

3 Likes

So as always I want to just warn everyone that any information I give is subject to change/may not happen as I am giving this update a few minutes after I learned about this but, I am really excited and I wanted to share with you guys.

So I’ve continued to go back and forth with the mobile team at HQ and since I last gave an update we have continued to discuss the permissions scheme in Android and the concerns you guys are sharing (including this thread). Well it looks like we got this in front of the right people and I was just tagged on a few tickets to do a full reevaluation of the Contact & Location permissions with the end goal of having them be marked as optional. This just happened so like I said, its not a guarantee and I can’t provide a timeline but the fact that there are tasks that are prioritized and assigned to dev teams to try and fix the overly intrusive permissions is a big deal. When/If I get more information/updates on this effort I’ll make sure to share but in the meantime I’m hopeful that we’ll see some improvements here sometime soon.

23 Likes

Do I need to factory reset my hub to migrate from the Classic to Connect?

Sure. Or you can read the thread and realize that you should wait. Your call.

11 Likes

I’ll be honest, 469 posts or ask :slight_smile:

3 Likes