"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

I like to avoid unpleasant surprises in my life as much as possible, so I never let Apps update automatically.

Unless there is a super urgent update, I make a backup of every App & data before I update it, so that I have full ability to instantly rollback.

6 Likes

I’m using some Xiaomi original motion sensors, contact sensors, they now DO work with new Smartthings app, they didn’t work with Samsung connect app before. Aqara motion sensors and contact sensors are still not working though, same for my Xiaomi original button :slight_smile: . Not much but I think it’s a start, I like this new Smartthings app more than the classic one :smiley:

Please explain this, because I don’t see any smart apps. Are you talking about built in smart apps or are you talking about the community created smart apps like webCoRE. I don’t see anyway to even set up a smart app or edit one I already have. I am getting a little worried about this because I have to use webCoRE to make my complex set up work. If this is no longer going to be supported then I, and many other users who depend on these smart apps will be leaving ST very soon. I really wish we could get some confirmation from someone who works for ST. Please let us know if this is the end of community smart apps and device handlers? I also need my device handlers, because I have hue motion sensors that are not natively supported by ST. I am able to use them only because of custom DH. Please someone tell us that all the work and hours of setup I have done over the years is not going to be thrown out soon.

I’m pretty sure the end game here on ST part is discontinuing smartthings classic app. I see the writing on the wall and it’s a little scary. I don’t expect the new app to support any custom DH or custom smart apps. If that is where they plan to go with this, I will be dead in the water. I guess I will start looking for another platform now.

That is an excellent question! One alternative you might want to consider, should Samsung really pull the rug out from underneath everyone, is Hubitat. It is very easy to port your custom Device Handlers and SmartApps over to Hubitat with minimal changes. I am running both SmartThings and Hubitat, thereby giving me the best of both worlds for now. This provides a little bit of peace of mind that if either changes drastically, my home’s automation will not be disrupted too much. I also really like the local processing of Hubitat, as well as data privacy.

It is good to have options! :grin:

6 Likes

Lots of info here:

1 Like

One of my biggest problems is using my hue motion sensors. On smartthings classic there is a custom DH that was created by a community member that works perfectly. However that DH is not currently supported in the new Samsung connect (smartthings) app. So I can see my hue motion sensors but when I click on them it says it can’t connect. Also when trying to set up automation in the new app the hue motion sensors are not listed at all. So hopefully these will be supported before the end of the classic app. Do you know if hue motion is supported by the Hubitat system? Native or by custom DH?

Dunno if it’s related, but some of my automations that have worked perfectly for months are beginning to do unexpected things. Nothing drastic, but one example is a mode change every other week. Used to occur when a particular event completed; now it occurs minutes after the event begins.

Will have to keep my eye on it.

I have no first hand experience with Hue devices, so YMMV… According to the Hubitat Compatible Devices Wiki, Hue Motion Sensors are compatible. What I don’t know is if these are paired directly to the Hubitat hub, or via to the yet-to-be released support for the Hue bridge. You can always ask the question on the Hubitat forum yourself.

The purpose I believe is to switch from github which is free to host DTHs and SmartApps to storing code in AWS with services like Lambda that cost developers money, as such the developers will charge for apps and perhaps SmartThings will develop a store to sell these apps in genrating revenue… atleast that’s how I see it going and I don’t like it.

1 Like

Hi All,

Do I need to create a new account for the new app?
or I can continue to use the same email and password?

Same email/password. If you’re current login/password do not work then you need to wait for the account migration.

1 Like

Thank you. im guessing we will get an email when that happen

maybe. for the beta we got a banner in the Classic app.

This was posted way up above, but here it is again:

1 Like

In the More tab, there is a new item —> The New SmartThings

1 Like

Just got a push notification about that new item in the more tab

1 Like

Probably a result of the new mobile update in 2.15.1 (Android).

Interesting.

My wife called me and asked what that push notification ment. But I did not get it. But I did download the app to look at it.

I noticed it does not have 1Password support like the ‘classic’ app has. Is that going to be removed? And for that matter are other things are going to be removed? And also- Is this migration one way? As in we get the ‘golden email’ that the account is ready, start to use the app and hate it- can we go back? Is there a TTL on the classic app? Are you guys going to have some kind of demo video or explanation on why this new app is better?

This all concerns me as you guys still don’t have a V1 to V2 hub migration to date. But are attempting to migrate platforms. And the last support issue I had the tech. ‘accidentally’ blew away my config. Which mean I had to spend a better part of a week to rebuild a config that was about 3 yrs old. And I still don’t have it how it was. It surprises me that there is no way to export an end users setup. So yeah. Don’t have high hopes for all this. I am not ready for weeks of ‘why is this not working’ from the family if I don’t have too.

2 Likes

Just got the notification and downloaded the new app.

None of my scenes are present, half the devices don’t work. This’ll be awesome.