"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

Does that mean a scene in the new app can include:

Changing a mode
Changing SHM armed state
Unlocking a lock

.?

3 Likes

Currently the new app scenes cannot change a mode but that is in the backlog.
Currently the new app scenes cannot change SHM arm state (only rules can and they can’t be executed by voice) and is not in our backlog.
I don’t have the complete list of capabilities supported by the new app scenes at the moment so I would have to go look for it - it definitely supports more than the 4 capabilities available in ST Classic but I’m not sure if lock is one of them.

OK, well, hopefully the people who made this decision will never need a hands-free system. Fortunately for those of us who do, most of the competition is moving towards more and more voice control, not less. :sunglasses:

(and, yes, it can unlock, too.)

3 Likes

the s3 gear st app is pretty rubbish, infact since the watch latest update the whole watch is worse not better, tbh i have the app installed but really dont use it, setup is just a pain
individual items are working via watch but scenes i am not sure

I can still control my Samsung TV with the classic app. The only thing that does not work consistently is the power on - it stops working a few minutes after a power off (I presume the tv takes a bit of time before it tuns of its IR receiver).

i Wish, My controler was the same as what you see but has disapeared so now even the smartthings app has no control of my Tv

I have Life360 link to Smartthings . In the new application, I see the presence plates, but when I click on the tile I get a notification - the connection can not be established. In the old application, however, this all works smoothly.
Is there any solution?

The solution is to continue using the older app until the new one is completed and you are prompted to switch :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Incase anyone is curious the ADT sensors seem to be working all if a sudden. Now when I click on one in the new smartthings app it displays the sensor information. Previously it would just error out. So is ADT panel users are that much closer to the new app.

Its not law but to save confusion for people reading threads the wording of ‘Oneapp’ is not best used, it was an internal name for the Samsung connect app that later became Smartthings and never meant for general useage

Despite the fact that it is probably a better name it is not an official name so is best not used simply to avoid confusion

1 Like

When is this happening? I have a an android tablet and it seems that I cannot use the new app, and also it seems quite unstable from the comments in the playstore. How long until we need to change to the new app?

There is no timeline right now.

See the official FAQ. Continue to use the Classic app until you get an individual message from support that you should start using the new one.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000114006-New-SmartThings-app-FAQ

1 Like

I am curious which app I fit in. I purchased a V2 smartthings HUB In mid January of 2018. At the time, the only app I knew of was the one that is now called Smartthings Classic so I downloaded it and use it. The email address and password I use to access that app also works to login into the samsung.com website (I just found this out after reading through this thread). Interestingly enough, I also just came to the revelation that the email/password combo I setup here for access to this community is not actually at all associated with my smartthings hub. (I can’t remember why this happened) I’ve actually tried now using my login combo on this site that I use in the app just to see what happens and it says invalid combo (same results when I reverse it). Would I fall under the narrow group of users that should actually be using the “new app”? My main reason for asking is that I currently have only two very very basic routines setup in Smartthings Classic. That is it. Nothing custom. I am wanting to start tinkering with things though but I don’t want to invest a bunch of time and energy into this Classic App and device handlers if I’ll be sent over to the new app shortly. I would rather just start my knowledge base under the new app if that makes sense. Thanks!

What specific devices are you using?

It is laughably elementary. Right now I only have smart bulbs (Hue), outdoor cameras (Arlo Pro) and one samsung smartthings motion sensor. My first foray into “smart devices” were a bundle of the Netgear Arlo Pro cameras on black friday. I then bought the smarthings hub (since the cameras were not Homekit compatible) and got a Philips Hue hub system with a few bulbs (after a bad experience with the Sengled brand) and lastly a smartthings motion sensor in my basement. The only routines I’ve setup in SmartThings so far is when motion is detected in the basement turn on the Hue basement lights. I know. Very elementary. I have some dawn/dusk things in the HUE app (off topic I know) I do eventually want to get more advanced using the motion triggers in the cameras to trigger lights etc (maybe get smart thermostats too). Maybe with something like Webcore. I’ve also looked at getting some smart light switches for some more of my outdoor lighting that I can have trigger off the outdoor cameras or start using my phone to enable home/away rules (although I heard this is finicky) or even create a “virtual button” that I can just press when I hear something strange outside in middle of the night that would then flip on all lights and start recording on all cameras.

Long story short, I am currently a very basic user but wanting to learn and advance.

There will be a lot of people that disagree, but if I was new and was going to keep things pretty basic, I would use the new app. I wouldn’t have said this a week or two ago, but it’s now to the point where it seems usable. I’ve been using both for a while, but haven’t really been able to fully use the new app since I have devices missing from the account migration.

Completely agree tbh, exact same as me except i have not been migrated but even if i was the situation would be the same with regard to a few missing devices

It just depends what you want to do. Right now, for example, you cannot use webcore if you only have the "smartthings ( Samsung connect) "app. You have to first set it up in the classic app.

If you have a 2018 Samsung smart television, you really need to have the Connect app. ( i’m not sure about the 2017 models.)

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I do have a new Samsung Television actually so maybe the "smartthings (samsung connect) " app is the way to go. I love the wealth of knowledge this community brings.