"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

I’m sure you already know this, but both widgets and full featured voice integration are important for accessibility. Losing those would be a big step backward for those of us in that group. :disappointed_relieved: It would also mean losing some echo, google home, and IFTTT features which are available with Classic.

4 Likes

Does this mean you can use voice with Alexa or Google Home to change the mode with the new app? Because you can with classic, but you have to do it via a routine.

2 Likes

JD is more or less right - can’t really think of SmartThings (the brand) like we existed a year ago (More or less decoupled from Samsung). SmartThings is the branding that all Samsung connected devices use. I’m pretty sure its the bluetooth device manager now too for Samsung phones. The drivers to push for a fast release/rebranding had to do with everything except existing users.

3 Likes

EDIT: This looks like the new thread on the non-beta user ST->SS account migration.

My apologizes in advance if this has already been answered, but I received an email today with the words…“We are updating to Samsung Account!” prompting me to surrender my working after months of Z-Wave issues login for a new “if it ain’t broke, then let’s break it” Samsung login.

Skimming the 400+ replies here, it seems like the ST–>Samsung account migration in and of itself is safe and the classic app still works 100% the same way it did before the account migration? True? Or did they jack that up too like the launch of the new app, which now seems to gyrate and change names weekly…

What happens if you just simply IGNORE the migration email? I’m of the mindset with ST/Samsucks "If it ain’t broke, there is no need to trust a more-than-likely half-baked rushed gotta hit a date " request like this until you absolutely need to.

Update your SmartThings Login

Here’s what you need to know.
We are updating to Samsung Account! This is an initial step in our journey to prepare you for the new SmartThings app, designed to bring you access to Samsung devices and services in addition to the hundreds of Works with SmartThings products you already use and love.

1 Like

EDIT: This looks like the new thread on the non-beta user ST->SS account migration.

I can assure you, I am not a beta tester, unless you count the normal everyday use of ST, which feels like beta testing at times. :slight_smile:

That said, perhaps there is a first round of migrations, or and perhaps they are picking folks with a ton of devices >40, like myself to see how bad they can mess things up.

The email I received in it’s entirety below…

From: SmartThings noreply=smartthings.com@mail63.suw13.rsgsv.net On Behalf Of SmartThings
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 12:06 PM PT

I think that makes sense. I just created a sub category under Mobile for the new app named “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” I think that would be best because that is the current name of the app in Google Play and Apple AppStore. If anyone wants to start some topics with information in them about the app/process feel free to, then we can start directing people to use that sub category while we are in a state of flux as a place to go to get answers.
https://community.smartthings.com/c/mobile-app/smartthings-samsung-connect
FYI: @WB70 @fido @tgauchat

3 Likes

So as long as the Routine ends up as a Scene, you will be able to control it with voice. I think it mostly depends on how exactly the routine migration is implemented. Voice control of Scenes only works for Bixby on the new app right now but is big driver of getting them moved over to our API - as soon as we migrate Alexa + Google Home will start working for Scenes. Like I said before - this is still in the early phases but its good to call out these concerns. I will make sure to raise them in case no one else has when we have our next requirements review.

1 Like

Does that mean a scene in the new app can include:

Changing a mode
Changing SHM armed state
Unlocking a lock

.?

3 Likes

Currently the new app scenes cannot change a mode but that is in the backlog.
Currently the new app scenes cannot change SHM arm state (only rules can and they can’t be executed by voice) and is not in our backlog.
I don’t have the complete list of capabilities supported by the new app scenes at the moment so I would have to go look for it - it definitely supports more than the 4 capabilities available in ST Classic but I’m not sure if lock is one of them.

OK, well, hopefully the people who made this decision will never need a hands-free system. Fortunately for those of us who do, most of the competition is moving towards more and more voice control, not less. :sunglasses:

(and, yes, it can unlock, too.)

3 Likes

the s3 gear st app is pretty rubbish, infact since the watch latest update the whole watch is worse not better, tbh i have the app installed but really dont use it, setup is just a pain
individual items are working via watch but scenes i am not sure

I can still control my Samsung TV with the classic app. The only thing that does not work consistently is the power on - it stops working a few minutes after a power off (I presume the tv takes a bit of time before it tuns of its IR receiver).

i Wish, My controler was the same as what you see but has disapeared so now even the smartthings app has no control of my Tv

I have Life360 link to Smartthings . In the new application, I see the presence plates, but when I click on the tile I get a notification - the connection can not be established. In the old application, however, this all works smoothly.
Is there any solution?

The solution is to continue using the older app until the new one is completed and you are prompted to switch :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Incase anyone is curious the ADT sensors seem to be working all if a sudden. Now when I click on one in the new smartthings app it displays the sensor information. Previously it would just error out. So is ADT panel users are that much closer to the new app.

Its not law but to save confusion for people reading threads the wording of ‘Oneapp’ is not best used, it was an internal name for the Samsung connect app that later became Smartthings and never meant for general useage

Despite the fact that it is probably a better name it is not an official name so is best not used simply to avoid confusion

1 Like

When is this happening? I have a an android tablet and it seems that I cannot use the new app, and also it seems quite unstable from the comments in the playstore. How long until we need to change to the new app?

There is no timeline right now.