"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

I don’t think we’ll see classic Routines in the new app. The custom automation builder can do (or is shaping up to do) the same thing as routines and more.

1 Like

I kind of agree, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have a way to migrate what is in the Classic app and then also make them avaliable to apps like Action Tiles.

I hardly use them, but i do see there value. Before i started using some of the smart apps i have i did several things in routines.

Hopefully they just really the new rule egine powerful enough to do whatever we like

1 Like

Which is great… except that I can’t find any method (new API or old…) to directly execute an Automation from a “SmartApp”, and thus, from ActionTiles (or WebCoRE, custom Alexa integrations, etc…).

They should, but SmartThings history of migration tools isn’t very good :wink:

3 Likes

Yea… I have heard that. I haven’t been here long enough to really deal with that yet, and though i have kind of taken the plung with the ADT Security panel on using smart things my usage is far less then most.

I’ll start off by saying that none of this is finalized yet and things may be different when actually released in production but… I can offer you what the current thinking is in regards to how Routines will be handled in the new app.

You guys are correct in thinking that Routines won’t exist in their current form in the new app. We are looking to have a migration process that will convert existing Routines into a combination of DIY Rules and Scenes. We are currently in discussions on how the migration would actually happen (what the UX would be of the migration itself). This is still a ways off - so I wouldn’t expect this to happen soon. Given our history, I’m always hesitant to speak about the future especially when the word “migration” is involved but I do think this one will happen.

In regards to APIs, these are currently being built. You should expect to see the Scene API released publicly before the Routine migration happens. (and remember, by API I mean REST/HTTP, not Groovy)

EDIT: I haven’t read far back into this thread but if you have a question feel free to ask - I’ll try and give an answer if possible ( as long as its information I am allowed to share).

14 Likes

Hi @vlad, I’ve got a question that I know concerns many other users too.
Why does the new app need access to all my phone contacts? Just to turn lights on?
I’m sure Samsung is a morally upstanding company, will keep this information safe and not let it be used for nefarious purposes but the risk is always there, but I still feel it’s unnecessary.
So the question is why is this permission necessary for you?

3 Likes

Will try and track it down - my iPhone doesn’t require it but Android does and the “official” reason is:
• Contacts: Verify user information that will be delivered while transferring files.

I’m not sure what that means and don’t know of any feature that transfers files, will see if any of the mobile devs can provide a response that makes a little more sense.

6 Likes

Hi @vlad ,

Will custom device handlers be migrated? I’m using a modified DH for Aeotec multisensor 6 to make it report lux every minute (this is not possible in the standard DH where 4 mins is lowest it can be set; no good for control of my lighting automation)

Also, how about smartapps? I’ve got Advanced Button Controller to provide dimming commands to an Aeotec remote controller.

Thanks

3 Likes

@vlad
Why has there been resistance from Samsung/St to adding a new section on the forum for NEW smartthings? Why is there no information in the Announcement section about new smartthings

The inclusion of any or both would surely help confused users and developers alike

4 Likes

It would go a long way if you guys “ST Staff” created an Announcement in the Announcements section, even if it was locked from replying to and it contained everything that everyone needs to know (and is actively updated on a regular basis):

1. Why it’s there
  2. Who should use it (Samsung Connect Pro customers for iniial Configuration)
  3. What capability it has (growing list).
  4. Shares same IDE so anything you do here, affects ST Classic (example if you turn off Location services, it will remove your mobile phone in Classic and remove Location and impact you if you are trying to use both apps)
  5. Comes pre-loaded on these devices
  6. The plan for migration (still being worked out)
  7. Account Migration beta users have tested functionality and differences between both (their accounts are prime candidates to beta the new app).
  8. Have an active beta (official customer, not internal) for the new app as you introduce new functionality.
  9. Equivalent of everything in Classic will eventually be available (when we go live for real) in the new app.
  10. Etc.

Explain everything and anything about it:

This little email that went out, obviously did nothing to minimize how much pandemonium and issues this has created by having both apps available and who should mess with it and who shouldn’t.

7 Likes

When you go through account migration all smartapps and dths (including custom) will be migrated as well. My understanding is that custom smartapps should already work in the new app. The Custom DTHs are a different matter and will not immediately show up after migration, the reason is that the new app displays DTH tiles differently and we need to figure out how we will move forward there - here is the latest info on this, again, this is all subject to change because this is all currently in design/planning:

1. DTHs available in ST Classic (community written ones that are published by ST) will be the first to start working in the new app - the work to enable this is in progress.
  2. Support Custom DTHs published in the IDE will be next, we know our options here but have yet to decide which implementation path to follow
  3. Support for Custom DTHs published in the IDE WITH custom attributes/commands - we don’t have a clear strategy for this quite yet

Also remember that we are in tandem working on the new platform api, check out Samsung developer docs for this.

3 Likes

I agree that there should be better communication in regards to what’s available or not - unfortunately I don’t have much visibility into that on the engineering side (official channels of communication). I can bring this up but I doubt it will get traction, apart from engineering and occasionally a few select support staff the rest of the company doesn’t actively use the forums as a means of communication. I walk a fine line here and sometimes overstep in regards to transparency because this isn’t an “official” channel - the second product management and communications gets involved its a completely different beast (not just within ST, we are working VERY closely with samsung on the app and the dynamics change when HQ is involved) and to be honest, i don’t think anyone in engineering has the bandwidth to maintain something like that. But yea - I’ll ask Product, maybe a table somewhere public of feature parity gaps between the apps would be enough or something and we can update it as feature releases go out.

4 Likes

At the very least your user info is stored (but contacts are not accessed) using the contact feature in Android (same as ST Classic. I’ve still got this question out to the Android lead at HQ just to verify it’s not being used for anything else.

2 Likes

This is true. You have to install them in the classic app, and then they show up in OneApp

p.s. OneApp is an interesting, but fitting, way to refer to the new app.

Trust me, I get it and a lot of us out here know what you guys are up against and the challenges that you have to deal with and what gets communicated and what you are able to communicate.

It’s just that with so many different entry points (customers with a v1, v2 hub), and those with a Samsung Connect having to use the new app to configure the Router, versus other customers not knowing if they are supposed to download and install the new app. Or those with it already pre loaded on their Samsung S9s and the fact that it is available for download, people think it’s an active and complete app.

The debacle with the email communication and the Samsung Classic update that included the communication for the new app created so so so much confusion and chaos that all of us here in the community are trying to redirect people to what they should be using, what we have heard and when or why this is happening. My point about the Announcement is to give everyone awareness to clarify everything we have been trying to say in 50 different threads to all customers and new ones coming on everyday that continue to be confused or those that thought they were supposed to use the new app and ended up destroying their current and active environment and end up being told by support to reset their hub.

I spent a few days comparing functions in the new app between IOS and Android with @Automated_House and things like SHM existing on IOS but not on Android (this was weeks back).

Anyway, I know you guys don’t have the time to constantly monitor and maintain, but if you could convey the importance to the Product side of the house, who could then draft up an entire article that covers everything from what will transpire, what product owners should be using it, who should remain running Classic. This would help clarify and kill a ton of the confusion that continues daily. The little FAQ that was created only goes so far and doesn’t contain who, what, why and how.

2 Likes

Sounds to me Samsung need a smartthings communicator that can keep the forum updated

3 Likes

They are getting it for free from the dozen or so of us that are attempting to keep people updated :slight_smile:

I have noticed that there have been quite a few new staff members over the last week as well that came out of nowhere trying to assist for various issues including the big EU outage.

1 Like

According to the new developer docs, at the present time an account can only have 10 custom smartapps. Is that still true?

Seen it WB but the information is being lost deep in threads that cant be found and referenced easily