SmartThings Community

"SmartThings Classic" (V2 app) vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)" (V3 app)

+1 for being able to set security based on presence. If not incorporated that feature, as well is momentary virtual switches, will be greatly missed.

Thanks for the update! I didn’t notice the Change Security Mode in the schedules - that helps some.
Although it would really be nice to say:

If Schedule Time - and - both phones are “home”
Then set security mode to Away… (full motion and alarm sound turned on)

I’m not a “Classic” user, so I’m looking forward to seeing what is to come…

Thanks for the updates @vlad One other interesting thing coming down the pipe is a combo pin pad contact sensor that has a presence fob. Surely this will be able to set SHM.

This is fine, but I also really hope the development team is listening to feedback about the overall usability of the new app (Rooms, how devices are viewed, and a lot of other feedback in this community).

Once ST support resolves my almost 2 month old ticket on why the new app is not in sync with Classic, I may actually try using the new app one day and work on some of my DTH’s to make them work in the new app.

5 Likes

Me too. About half my devices are missing from the new app. Also reported to support.

2 Likes

So @vlad (and anyone else in ST who would think the following suggestion from ST support is outrageous and unacceptable), do you think I would actually delete everything and start over (almost 300 devices) just so I can have a worse experience with the new app? This can’t be a serious suggestion from support!

My favorite part of that reply is the last line about “if this still doesn’t work…” . Seriously? I’m expected to nuke years of setup that’s working just fine in the Classic app, and all I get from support is “seems like” this may work? BTW, I just asked for escalation, and was just told “sorry, but you’re screwed” by your “higher team”.

Are you guys trying to tell me that when the day comes that Classic will be dead that I must delete everything and start over? Count me out if that’s the case.

I’ve been trying to accept and work with the new app, despite all the negative feedback, as well as commit time and effort to make my custom DTH’s work with it, and participate in numerous hub betas. If I have to start over, I might as well put my time and effort into Hubitat.

I’m so angry right now that I’m stopping here because anything I say isn’t gonna be nice. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

@ogiewon, one step closer for me…

13 Likes

I’m mad just reading about it! I can’t imagine how you feel. :rage:

There have been at least two previous occasions when support erroneously told a customer that they would have to delete everything and start over with the new app. There seems to be a flaw in the script that sometimes takes them to that answer when it shouldn’t.

In one case it was someone who had a Samsung TV on one location and all their older stuff in a different location and they were told they would have to remove all devices from the hub and reset it. Which is not true. They just had to move everything from the old location to the new location, which are the instructions in the official knowledge base.

4 Likes

I think I saw that one as well. It’s a shame to be a witness to the demise of ST’'s support. I remember much different and better days, but unfortunately those are gone (and some of the people too). It is all script based support, and I see it elsewhere unfortunately.

4 Likes

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

2 Likes

Wow! That’s pretty shocking.

Where/when was this announced?

CES 2019. That, an AI motion sensor and Air Quality Sensor.

1 Like

I am currently using my Iris Keypads outside in an enclosure so this would be a nice upgrade

1 Like

So what are the alternatives? Wink? Amazon?
Presence - Life360 connects but presence is not displayed after connection.
Echo integration -
Audible Alerts - this was never a Samsung solution, their speakers are very hard to find, expensive and still do not work consistently. Big-Talker was the solution for me, like life360 it displays in the new app but doesn’t do anything.

For me, as johnconstantelo said, there’s so much time involved in just understanding the difference, I’ll spend my time for now looking to see if I can accomplish what I want in another system, that won’t be yanked out from under me.

If you’re looking for something that won’t be yanked out from under you, I personally wouldn’t have wink on my candidates list. :wink:

As far as audible alerts, Echo has pretty much solved this now, and it works well with smartthings as long as you don’t need it to be local. The only thing is you do need a virtual device which is both a switch and a contact sensor, and to be honest I’m just not sure if that works with the new app or not. If it does, you’re all set for that feature. And in any case my guess would be that Amazon will add the ability to trigger an Amazon routine (not a SmartThings routine) from a switch in the next few months, which then simplifies everything again.

2 Likes

I’m using this exact feature with the new app without any problems.

1 Like

Has anyone from ST ever given a reason why when you try to create a custom automation in the new app that you can’t use the device as a condition and then control the device?

Example:
If Switch 1 is off, Switch 2 is on, and Door is open, then turn Switch 2 off.

1 Like

If Switch 1 is off, Switch 2 is on, and Door is open, then turn Switch 2 off.

Unless I’m missing something you don’t need to use SW2 as a condition. If SW1 is off and Door is open then turn off SW2. If SW2 is on, it will turn it off. If SW2 is off, nothing will happen.

Is that ios or droid ?? Never seen that lot before

Android, “It’s the latest and greatest”