"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

What’s the difference? What’s the expected rollout to existing users?

5 Likes

Samsung connect is the new SmartThings. Current(old) SmartThings is now SmartThings Classic. This might be the beginning of the end.

8 Likes

The iOS app has a 1.8 rating…joy. This should be fun.

4 Likes

Ouch, that’s not promising.

Android App has a 3.7/5 rating though, which is better, and better than the Smartthings App ever had, so actually that’s promising for Samsung Galaxy users.

I’m still waiting on a Gear S3 app at some point…

3 Likes

Just had a poke around in the new connect/smartthings app and it appears to be bring across all custom apps with settings and configs… nice job

Still needs work though as it seems to remember and list any app you have changed the name off or deleted so i have a massive list of things that dont exist and cant be connected too

2 Likes

I know I posted this before, but now that SmartThings is officially renamed…
16A1ADC8-FEFC-4218-8487-E56C37C2BC7ECoke%20Classic

We all know how that worked out…

19 Likes

Funny how they updated the app today with the new name but they didn’t update their logo. New logo on SmartThings.com and community but old logo on the renamed app.

1 Like

Where are the smartapps in the new smarthings app? I can only see in automation 3 apps that I am currently using but I can’t find the list of all the smartapps. Also where are the Good morning, good night, goodbye and am back routines ?

4 Likes

I only have the Classic app, in IOS where is the new app?

Get ready for a new SmartThings

We’re delighted to announce that a new SmartThings app is coming.

The SmartThings app you’ve been using has been renamed “SmartThings Classic” in the app store.

For now you don’t need to do anything, please continue to use this app as usual.

We’ll notify you as soon as the new SmartThings app is ready to transition with next steps.

1 Like

Aren’t we jumping the gun a bit? It specifically says in the email:

“We’ll notify you as soon as the new SmartThings app is ready to transition with next steps.”

And the iOS update to the Classic app says:

“Existing users will be notified when they are ready to transition …”

7 Likes

yup, people don’t read the whole email and go looking for other old apps by the sounds of it

We’re delighted to announce that a NEW SmartThings app is coming.

The SmartThings app you’ve been using has been renamed “SmartThings Classic” in the app store.

For now you don’t need to do anything, please continue to use this app as usual.

We’ll notify you as soon as the NEW SmartThings app is ready to transition with next steps.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’m finding no comfort in this interpretation.

Given samsung’s Routinely crappy support, I’m leery of seeing a wholesale change like this to bring it more firmly into the Samsung ecosphere.

I’ll be using the ‘classic’ app as long as possible.

2 Likes

you haven’t used the new app and your are already pissed off. Hue did that same thing a few years ago renamed the old one and released a new one without any issues

My post was aimed at people downloading the Samsung connect app thinking its the NEW smartthings app

Don’t think it will be very long as DH’s and App’s will be changing very quickly

3 Likes

The email did not come out until after the apps updated and the thread started. So… We did not jump the gun, ST did by releasing apps prior to sending the email.

Also did everyone enjoy the migration path that was set up for v1 hubs to v2 hubs. I remember that going well, with everyone waiting patiently until it was ready…

4 Likes

I didn’t realize it my iPhone updated to the new app, yesterday, and I received the email today. When I looked in updates, it said that existing users would be notified when to use it. T late for me, as it already is being used. Anyone have any problems yet? So far it looks like all my stuff shows. But I am concerned.

The release notes included with the (Classic) app update said the same stuff as the email.

2 Likes

Not “pissed off”. Just leery, based on documented history.
Don’t put words in my mouth.

3 Likes

Most people here must check the release notes prior to updating. I mean what normal person would let apps auto update…

4 Likes

What about the people that SmartThings calls their user base the other 99%.

4 Likes