Smartthings Camera Problems

I got a couple of the Samsung Smartthings cameras at a great price. However getting them hooked up through the app was an ordeal. I had to reset each camera several times. Once I got them installed, they are offline most of the time. I use an iPhone for the app and I have an Eero mesh router. I tried to pause the 5GHz band but it didn’t work well. I am ready to sell or trash the things, but I am sure there must be a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mine go offline occasionally, although I mostly stopped paying attention to them, but mine are on the 2.4GHz.

I think there had been some speculation about them overheating, and possibly disconnecting due to that, but I can’t really say. One idea was to ease the load on the processor by reducing video settings to HD and turning off HDR. Might see if that helps

Anyway, other than that, I’m curious how far from your router they are, and if locating them closer, or further away, helps or makes it worse?

Thanks for your response. I moved one of them to the room with the main router and it didn’t help.

I dont know the eero router, is it possible to split the 2 signals so you can see the 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately (on most routers you can). I have some kit that couldnt see the 2.4 channel but as soon as I split them they worked fine.

I did have to rename the 2.4Ghz on my meshed Asus routers to work well with my Ring cameras, so maybe it could help.

So it looks like the eero router doesn’t allow different names for the 2.4 and 5 networks. They claim that doing that would reduce the performance. I like my eero performance so I am not getting rid of the eero. It looks like the cameras are going to have to go.
Thanks everyone for helping me figure it out.

I can’t get a stable connection on 2.4ghz even the router is just 10 feet or so away, I switched to 5ghz and had only one issue so far so I will keep observing
I heard others have better luck in 2.4ghz

There is an option under advance settings in the eero to disable 5ghz for 5 mins to connect to a device. I Have 3 ST Cams on my eero and never have issues with connection

I dont have a lot of data (n=1, 1 day of experience) but mine was so bad, disconnecting, felt pretty hot all the time, that I decided I’d take it apart and try and see what was wrong. I was going to drill some holes in it for ventilation if nothing else, but I think I found out what’s wrong with most of these.

I followed this video and when I got to the end found a GIANT chunk of thermal “paste” at the very end. I replaced it with arctic silver and it’s been working flawlessly for a day…

I had peeled part of the paste up (I thought it was one of those non-spreadable pads) and it may not show it very well, but it was like 2mm…WAY too thick…

2 Likes

And i thought i was the only one who had done this… I did this to all 4 of my ST cams last year and it does indeed work. Neither of my cams have gone offline since. Poor engineering at its finest…that thermal compound used is complete trash.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well this is one of the first things that popped up when I searched this problem, so hopefully now there’s corroboration for anyone else who comes looking for the solution!

Good to know… I’ve not had many issues while staying on 2.4ghz. But if I have any malfunctions, I know what to try.

Thanks!