Smartthings Button no longer arms new app SHM

Thanks @Brad_ST

Is there any news on this? Iā€™d like to get an ST button but whatā€™s the point if I canā€™t control SHM?

Hi, slightly morbid thought. My hope was to use a button to disarm Smartthings SHM as a worst case scenario, I live alone and if I died suddenly at home how would a keyholder be able to disarm the system? In Arm stay mode I use two multipurpose sensors on front and rear entrances linked to a Aeotec Doorbell6 (siren) Iā€™m in the UK so no ADT panel option. Any thoughts how I could achieve this failsafe?

If this is a trusted friend or family member, just give them a regular key, tell them where the siren is and how to shut it off, and that should be enough for the situation you describe.

Give the person who will handle your will a sealed document with your account password (the same as you would do for your other online accounts), and they can handle the long term.

Hi thanks it would be a friend in the presence of my landlord, my issue is how to turn off the siren without access to the app, which they wouldnā€™t have? The Aeotec doorbell/siren has a rechargeable battery which gives it a long run time. Using the classic app Iā€™ve created a routine which should turn the system to disarm at 9 in the morning if Iā€™m at home, Iā€™ll find out if this solves the problem tomorrow. Good advice on the will which I already had done thanks. I should add that my next of kin is a technophobe.

1 Like

I have my alarm auto arm in ā€œat homeā€mode during the evening and then fully arm at a later time in case I forget. I also get Google Home to tell me verbally when the ā€œawayā€mode is 15 minutes away from activation in case Iā€™m still downstairs as I donā€™t want to set off a false alarm.

It also turns off in the morning but I have not added the refinement of checking if Iā€™m at home first. That sounds like a good idea - I will have to add that.

Dave

Amazon just delivered a smartthings button, five minutes later and using the classic app, I have the emergency solution I needed. One press turns SMH to disarm and double press sets it to arm stay. Of course being a pessimist no doubt Samsung will kill the app before the week is out. Thanks again for the help.

Pete

Just remember that SHM ( Smart home monitor in the classic app) & STHM (smartthings home monitor in the new V3 app) look very similar, but are completely independent code. Security Automations and notifications in one app will not show up in the other. And dismissing a security notification from one app will not affect the other.

So the button solution that you now have will only work with smart home monitor from the classic app. It still doesnā€™t work with smartthings home monitor in the new app.

And since theyā€™ve already told us that the classic app will be going away eventually, although they havenā€™t said exactly went, thatā€™s just something to be prepared for.

Yeah I worked out that. I guess when the classic app goes, Iā€™ll need a new solution or a different system. Such a shame as the classic app and smart devices just work.

Thanks

Pete

1 Like