SmartThings API Browser+ ... Now Available to All

We need some virtual devices that are based in the cloud for the over 90% of smartthings customers who don’t have a hub. :wink:

2 Likes

“buy your mom an hub.”

:joy:

2 Likes

Hi – sorry for a silly question, but how do I add a location? My pulldown list of locations is empty.

I have a hub in the same WiFi as my computer. How does the webpage know which hub to connect to?

Thanks!

You may need to update your SmartThings Personal Access Token (PAT) to make sure it gives you the permissions to read all your data, including locations.

Once you update your token, you should get a list of available Locations in the upper right dropdown box. Then you can go to the Locations->Hubs menu item to view your hubs and select yours.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly!!!

I have a token.

[screenshot hidden]

But my locations are empty:

When I go to hubs, there is an error:

(And when I click “ok”, the bar under “hubs” keeps spinning forever.)

Are there extra steps I need to take?

Thanks a lot!

For security reasons you should hide your token in the 1st screen shot.

Done – thanks.

You may have a token but does it allow you access to everything? Every token is configured with specific permissions.

I checked all the boxes when generating it – is this sufficient?

To be honest it does feel like there’s a step missing. I go to a website somewhere out there, how would it know where to look for my hub? Sorry for a naive question, I suspect I am missing something very basic.

The website is communicating with the SmartThings API servers in the SmartThings cloud which is where all your information is. There isn’t any interaction with your hubs at all.

Your personal access token will identify your SmartThings account and a range of access permissions.

It can also be used by absolutely anyone so you might like to make sure you have deleted the one you posted in the screenshot earlier as it is still accessible. It is like giving someone your username and password with secondary authentication turned off.

2 Likes

How does it know about my cloud though? When I generated a token, there was nothing on the webpage that asked me about my Samsung Account or any other accounts anywhere else.

So after you entered your token, you should see your location listed in the drop-down box in upper right. If you click on that is there nothing to select? If not then for some reason no location is being found associated with your account.

You won’t be able to get a list of hubs until a location can be selected first.

If you still seem stuck, try deleting all cookies for the website using your browser tools. Then close the site. Then go back and start again, starting with configuring your token. Be sure it is correct and no extraneous spaces at the beginning or end, just in case.

How does it know about my account, though? It’s not like it asked me to log in with SmartThings account when I generated that token.

You have to be signed in to your SmartThings account in order to create a token.

2 Likes

Hmmm. I have several accounts on ST associated with different Google addresses. Don’t ask how or why, but one of them is empty. I wonder if it logged me in with that, empty, account?

1 Like

Yes that may be the problem!

1 Like

in the API I have several devices that show nonfunctional in the provisioned box as show below, do you know what this means? It seems like they ared devices that I have changed the driver.

That seems strange. All mine show PROVISIONED. Can you control the switch from the app or the website?

Sometimes i can and somtimes I cant. I was trying to track down why some of my routines no longer work now that there running local and worked fine in the cloud.

Depending on what your make/model of switches are, you might try switching drivers if there is a community one available. I know there have been issues with the stock driver for GE switches for instance.