SmartThings API Browser+ ... Now Available to All

@TAustin is it possible to add Reboot Hub command?

1 Like

[quote=ā€œmilandjurovic71, post:226, topic:249907, full:trueā€]
@TAustin is it possible to add Reboot Hub command?

@TAustin has said previously there is no published API for rebooting the hub, but will investigate if there are any non-published methods he can find and use.

4 Likes

thanks for making this! my biggest issue with using CLIā€™s is not knowing what i need to type without reading a book about it first, so this is quite helpful.

i see this allows me to change device driver, even seems like its possible to change a zwave driver that hasnt been migrated yet. since i havent heard of this being an option, would that actually work or cause problems?

I have a bunch of devices that have not transitioned yet (some z-wave dimmers and some others). When I bring them up in the API Browser and click on Change Driver I just get ā€œIneligible deviceā€. What does that mean?

Please ignore my first response, which Iā€™ve deleted.

The driver change function only works with Edge drivers - moving them from one Edge driver to another Edge driver. You canā€™t use it to convert a DTH device to an Edge device. That has to be done with a migration.

2 Likes

I read your question too quickly. You cannot use the driver change function to migrate a device from a DTH driver to an Edge driver. Itā€™s only for moving from one Edge driver to another.

Got it, that does make sense. I thought that was the case but then I read your previous answer to steinauf (which I see you have updated) which made me try itā€¦LOL.

This is a fantastic tool and worked straight away for me. Thankyou!

Iā€™m at risk of changing topics here, but am not sure where else to post with such a new tool.

After creating a virtual switch, I am not able to include this switch in routines (within the SmartThings app). I can toggle the switch on/off in the main screen but it simply says ā€œstatus: connectedā€ on the device controls tab.

Is this related to how the switch is created or is there a next step Iā€™ve missed?

Scratch that. It just took a few hours then was working ok.

1 Like

hi, do you think it is possible to request the ip number of the devices connected via wifi? the aeotec360 cameras for example, i donā€™t see the ip anywhere and i was trying to do some cleaning

Iā€™d recommend submitting that as a request to SmartThings, since I canā€™t do it through the API today. There is no common way that IP addresses are stored by LAN drivers, so this info could never be gotten through device data, but rather would have to come from the underlying Edge networking layer to get a list of what is currently connected.

1 Like

Just throwing an idea into the mix Tod

Is there anyway the details available in your browser app can be presented in a device ?

A general synopsis of a users hub

Connected edge driver total
Current devices switched on
Current devices showing off line
Etc etc

It should be a platform standard feature but it will never happen so just wondering if its possible to create a general system tile/device ?

Appreciate we have the hub driver page but it presents very little useful info

Thanks for opening this up to all. I just started browsing around, but noticed this. I created some virtual presence sensors last month with your vEdge creator. They show up in the API browser in the devices list. I would have thought they would show up in the virtual device list.

This is a bit of a nuance, and I can certainly understand the confusion. In the API Browser+, any reference to virtual devices is applicable only to those created there. This is a relatively new feature of the CLI where instead of using a community-developed driver like vEdge, you can have virtual devices created by the Edge platform itself, and they donā€™t require a driver at all. These are specially-designated devices and treated uniquely by the platform.

The downside is that these virtual devices are quite limited in what they can do. But for some they may be sufficient.

Virtual devices created by community-developed drivers typically are much more functional. They often appear as ā€˜LANā€™ type devices since that was the only way to create them originally. And so yes, they are listed as ā€˜regularā€™ devices in the API Browser+.

Confusing? Yes. Maybe I need to name these ā€˜CLI virtual devicesā€™ to distinguish them from othersā€¦

6 Likes

Good explanation, thanks. Though some of this stuff is beyond my level.

Hereā€™s another thing I found. When selecting Devices, then my cell phone (a presence sensor), then the Details button, it displays the details. If I select my wifeā€™s cell phone, then Details button, I get an HTTP Error 403 message. I click ok, the message disappears, and the details appear. I tried recreating the token as suggested in another message in this thread, but the error still appears.

Thank you for reporting this. I will figure it out and get it fixed!

1 Like

Let me know if you need me to test anything out based on my devices/configuration.

By the way, I have 2 locations each with their own hub, and that error appears on my wifeā€™s cell in either location.

1 Like

not really inherent exclusively to the topic, but it has something to do with it:
I happen to see offline devices and the status tells me itā€™s been offline for half an hour .I check from the app and I see that the device is actually offline. I trigger a routine, and the offline device turns on. So I wonder, was it really offline?

It rather depends on what you consider ā€˜offlineā€™ means.

My Edge driver based motion sensors are frequently reported as offline but will immediately return online with active motion. This is because ST is expecting a pattern of activity from the devices that the devices canā€™t be or havenā€™t been configured to provide. So offline for those devices as currently installed is really ST saying it doesnā€™t know if they are online or not. There may or may not be an issue.

On the other hand, if my smart plugs show as offline I can be pretty sure that something probably isnā€™t as it should be.

3 Likes

Just to add to @orangebucketā€™s response: online/offline status is indeed determined by SmartThings for zigbee and zwave devices, whereas LAN devicesā€™ online/offline status is controlled by the driver.

1 Like