Smartthings android app update 1.7.69.23 - 4 Aug 21

That is actually quite useful. The Samsung Find My Mobile Service on top of which SmartThings Find operates and which doesn’t have a mobile app, can see other users mobiles but only in a full on ‘guardian mode’. So a more passive location tracking as an alternative to Google Location Sharing is welcome.

However it would be even better if it were possible to restrict the access Members have as those I am most interested in sharing my location with do not need full Member access.

SmartThings is still crying out for a mobile presence only app access, to which this would be a useful addition.

Yes, and that has happened since the app update. Even better is that Galaxy Companion now acknowledges I have Lighting. Before it just said ‘No support device’ (sic) and I couldn’t do anything.

I don’t remember being able to scroll down for Switch and Outlet either but maybe I’ve never noticed or I forgot.

3 Likes

Lets hope more good things keep coming. From what i know October will probably be when groovy gets the axe

Whenever it is, let’s hope they actually give notice unlike this 200 device limit mess.

3 Likes

Isn’t there a Samsung event on the 11th ?? If so probably pushing this stuff out for new devices and press coverage

In the meantime, groups don’t appear to have been included in the new automations tab per device, if you select a group tile there is no sign of what automation it is part off

As in lighting groups? They can’t be used in automations.

I’ve been wondering what has been going on and impressed how pretty much nothing has leaked out from users for some key stuff. Even the existence of closed alpha and beta tests hasn’t leaked out.

Which is super strange to me. I makes so much for sense to use LGs for lighting automations with buttons

1 Like

Ah… now you posted that Jimmy, I just realised how I came to that conclusion, needed you to point it out though, I have virtual switches to turn on groups, when creating an automation I selected a group example(lounge group) assuming it was the actual group, infact as you pointed out, it was a virtual switch named the same

1 Like

Mess is an understatement.

I have legitimate reasons for the number of devices I have, which in turn are part of automations and SmartApps that do all sorts of things from automating lights for all sorts of modes, shutting off valves, notifying us of certain events, etc. - especially when we have/had in home care of elderly parents, long term guests, and/or mischievous pets. Now I’m being forced to not doing a lot of those things to try and fit into a 200 device limit. It’s BS. That doesn’t stand for beer and sunshine…

I’d like to see the limit increased to 300, or grandfather those of us with more than 200, or allow us to stay as-is plus or minus a couple devices, or tell us we’re unsupported until we hit 200 or below.

My Note 20 was notified today in the ST app that there was an update through either Google or the Galaxy store, but neither had it actually available. I’ll try it to see if the app itself is better (I like the Find improvements), but I’ll also keep my old tablet from updating until there is a device limit imposed through other methods besides the app (like the hub or other backend changes), or if any other workaround fails.

Needless to say, this mess now has me looking at other options besides ST.

5 Likes

200 is a nice round, random number. There’s no rational reason the app should enforce such a limit.

3 Likes

Galaxy S3 watch not supported in find, although I’m probably wrong

That’s what I was thinking…

Especially if the virtual device loophole was left intact. How many ST users actually use virtual devices, anyway?

Yeah, I do, a fair bit tbh James :eyes: I’m on a roll tonight, nope I use virtual switches… god dam@ naming convensions

1 Like

Well, sure… I meant percentage of total ST users.

Probably not so many virtual refrigerators etc…

Unless the limit is the price to be paid for the folly of using mobile clients.

3 Likes

I was just looking to see if I could in any way get my 235 devices below 200. I only have 9 virtual devices, so it’s not looking good. I’m certainly not going to delete any of the 14 leak sensors. All door/window sensors were installed to run an automation project. And the scary part is I already removed Rachio forever ago since I wasn’t using it and I don’t have things like my Wyze cameras integrated at all minus one virtual switch to arm/disarm because they aren’t compatible. So once Matter rolls around and things hopefully work better together I would be really f%&cked.

If we assume every single user on this forum uses them (which is highly unlikely), that would mean less than %0.15 of SmartThings users use virtual switches.

2 Likes

Well, that wouldn’t be very lucrative if Samsung were to start selling virtual switches.

1 Like

Something I have noticed since this update, random tiles do not immediately link to the correct device, no rime or reason to which tile or which part of the app

Example
Tile label lists light switch, tap tile to open device page and something different appears, contact sensor

Never seen this issue before this update

After a few attempts at taping the tile eventually the correct device appears but if you are not paying attention it is easy to edit an incorrect device if that was your intention when initially tapping the tile