Smartthings and Wemo light switches finally working together

Oh, ok I will update it. By chance I had the wemo server on my home screen. There is also the possibility of getting an android emulator on a pc and copying your tasker profiles and everything over to thaT until you wall mount a tablet. Might not be worth it really though

If it helps, there’s a SendHTTP rule in WemoServer (triggered by a wemo state change) that can be used to GET/PUT/POST an event to ST. And as we chatted earlier, ST could send an HTTP request to WemoServer to trigger a rule. It might be possible to leave Tasker out of the equation.

The $20 ZTE Zinger phones from Walmart that can run Tasker + WemoServer with no problem (there’s no need to activate the phone).

1 Like

Mike,

Thanks for your input. I am going to look into this approach. I currently have it all working using Tasker, Sharptools and St but it is slow and a nightmare to maintain (45+ tasker profiles).

Well I used “sendHubCommand” within a St smartapp to turn on a wemo switch via my WemoServer (Java) and it works very very well. In fact, works as fast (or faster) as turning on a ST (z-wave,zigbee) device. Now all that is left to do is actually write a usable SmartApp. Could be a while :smile:

If you use global variables inside tasker to let it know wemo states you can probably cut down on the profiles. Just need to be efficient in using IF statements. That is how I am running it.

1 Like

I created a very simple SmartApp that works very fast and effectively for turning on/off the wemo switches. Only problem is updating the virtual on/off switches in ST if a wemo is controlled via any other app. Anyway
 here is work in progress. My WemoServer rules actually toggle the switches as opposed to on/off rules for each device. In my case, I could do everything I need to do with only one function (i.e. def onHandler(evt) )

/**

preferences {
section(“WemoServer LAN Address and Port”){
input name: “ip”, type: “text”, title: “ip:port”
}
section(“Wemo Switches to Control”){
input “switches”, “capability.switch”, title: “Wemo Switches”, multiple: true, required: true, refreshAfterSelection:true
}

}

def installed(){
subscribe(switches, “switch.on”, onHandler)
subscribe(switches, “switch.off”, offHandler)
}

def updated(){
unsubscribe()
subscribe(switches, “switch.on”, onHandler)
subscribe(switches, “switch.off”, offHandler)
}

def onHandler(evt) {
log.debug evt.value
log.info(“Turning on Wemo ${evt.displayName}”)
sendHttp(“${evt.displayName}”)
}

def offHandler(evt) {
log.debug evt.value
log.info(“Turning off Wemo ${evt.displayName}”)
sendHttp(“${evt.displayName}”)
}

def sendHttp(rule) {
sendHubCommand(new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(“”“GET /event/$rule HTTP/1.1\r\nHOST: $ip\r\n\r\n”“”, physicalgraph.device.Protocol.LAN))
}

Does this app also take into consideration manually going over and turning the light switch off/on?

Like I said

Only problem is updating the virtual on/off switches in ST if a wemo is controlled via any other app.

This applies to turning them on/off manually as well. There is an automated solution in the works but for now I created Tasker on/off profiles that set the state of virtual switches in ST based on the state of the wemo switch whenever it changes on/off etc

The only issue I am finding with ST is reliability right now since wemo and other things like sonos all seem to be in “labs”. I am starting to pull more and more automation triggers out of ST and into tasker using sharptools and I find things run a lot smoother, faster, and taster allows more customization without any real programming.

1 Like

My wemo devices still wont manage either; i’ve tried removing them and re-adding always just get error “Failed to save page: firstPage”.

Anyone been able to manage switches, light switches or motion sensors yet?
I bought 4 light switches, a plug in switch and a motion detector all which I can only control by wemo app now.
I thought ST it worked natively :frowning:

The key word thing is “supposed to” lol, sorry. If you have an android based phone you need to do the smartthing/sharptools/wemomanager/tasker integration I mentioned at the top. That is the only truly reliable way to get smartthings and wemo to work I have found. Haven’t found anyone else with another solution either. If your on iOS I don’t know what to tell you.

If you need help integrating what I did just let me know :smile:

2 Likes

When you view the official Works with SmartThings list, look for a tiny “I” on the far right. If it’s there, tap it. If it says “SmartThings Labs” the integration is in Beta, not yet fully baked.

http://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products/

This issue is now resolved and you should be able to re-add your WeMo switches back.

Hello

Has anyone tried using the smartthing app to control the wemo switches after @rappleg post?

Let me know

Yeah, let me know also. I have my system set up pretty heavily with fake switches in smartthings and tasker to go around the previous issues with Wemo. I don’t want to undo it all and just to find out in a week or so it goes bad again. I did see that Wemo is out of labs so that is promising.

My two WeMo switches are working great with SmartThings. I bought WeMo before I knew about SmartThings so I had a couple switches and bulbs. I now have them all working with SmartThings. In the future I’ll buy more of the GE light switches instead.

Hi

I integrated wemos to smartthings again and they work better, but the problem is when you need to turn on/off several wemos at specific time. I have six, now they work 85% of the time, most of the time I have problems when I need to turn them off so I created rule son wemo app to turn them off.

@rappleg, can you check or clarify the new changes done on wemo devices?

Regards

Michael

I verified the change made on our side and it was specific to fixing the discovery issue, so I doubt it will actually help much from a reliability standpoint if you already had them joined with SmartThings. It is known that WeMo sometimes have reliability issues.

When you say 85% of the time, are you saying 1 of the 6 fail to turn off 85% of the time, or just in general that’s how often each individual switch seems to fail to turn off? Is it always the same switch that fails or random?

We’d have to investigate to see if the hub action is actually being sent for the cases where the switch fails to turn off. When this happens can you check in the logs that you are seeing “Executing ‘off’” for the failed switch. Also you should see an event for the switch at the same time with a value of “off”. If you don’t see either one of those then something may have happened on the ST side and we can investigate further. If you do see both of those and the switch never turned off then most likely the switch just never responded to the hub action command that was sent to it.

@rappleg I’ve been using WeMo connect for a few weeks now and it’s updating is not working properly. When the light turns off, the status is not updated
even though it was the SmartApp that turned it off! I’ve been going back and forth with support on this for over a week now and they’re stating using Pollster to help, but it does not help.

The issue causes the motion lights to not work properly 50% of the time. There’s motion but the lights will have turned off and the system thinks they’re on.

Figures, I didn’t have to much hope for the developers at Smartthings to program it correctly. If you are on android I would HIGHLY recommend using Tasker and Smart Tools to control the lights. I have been using that set up since March and my lights have worked 100% since then, not one single issue.

1 Like