SmartSense Multi Seismograph

After the 6.0 this morning I got to thinking about how sensitive the Multi’s are. Could they record earthquakes?

1. On the multi’s is it possible to go back and pull historical data? Kinda want to see how a 6.0 registered this morning. I know you can do it with the temp sensors. Anyone tried?

2. I think the true IOT story would be to create an app that sends the multi data to USGS so they can learn how the earthquakes travel. (of course after USGS confirms there was a real earthquake).

(Edward Pope) #2

It would make sense that they could be used this way. Same goes for all the accelerometers in the smartphones of today. I like the way you are going with this, but I think that just relying on the Multi data (which would be only from those of us who have the devices in the area of the earthquake) may not be sufficient for the task at hand. Using the Multi’s along with SmartPhone data would be an excellent way for the USGS to obtain data over the area effected.

I was thinking smartphones originally too but i think there are too many unknown variables in smart phones. They are moving too much. A multi you could provide the height its mounted at, the construction of the building and have enough historical data to normalize it. Then all the sudden you are providing information relative to construction types which would be very valuable IMO.

(Edward Pope) #4

Well, daggit… I certainly see your point. Although the data could be edited out, for movement prior to the earthquake. The real problem is not knowing the location of the data and construction elements as you noted.

Looking at the hardware of a typical accelerometer now-a-days. There are pretty small. It appears that the Zigbee and Z-Wave controllers are the largest part of this device. Maybe, thinking out of the box a bit here, we could design a device with just an accelerometer for this purpose. Use a mesh network, and solar to power them and put them all around the various cities etc?

I mean if this is going to be done, might as well go big right?

I’ve also thought about having an earthquake app for the multi sensors. I live in Oklahoma where we have tons of earthquakes now (thanks, oil industry) and it would be neat to get an alert or something if all of the multi’s in my house sensed an event at the same time.

(Edward Pope) #6

@allison I agree… It would be easy to make an app that does that. Let me look into it… Of course we could do a trigger and then pull data from the USGS site to indicate what is going on.

(Andrew Urman) #7

I think this would be a cool app even post earthquake. Even to just share with the USGS.

BTW, I didn’t feel anything :frowning: slept right through it.

(Geko) #8

That’s exactly why you need an earthquake alert. :smile:

(Edward Pope) #9

Well this is definitely doable, I am still new with ST, and the Groovy language. Any of you developers interested in working with me? I certainly can use this to train myself on the system. And it would be nice to have a helping hand though this project.

One of my concerns is that when trucks or heavy machinery roll by, we do not want to setoff the sensors as if an Quake had happened. So there will need to be a sensitivity slider in the application as well. Maybe even on a per device setting.

(Andrew Urman) #10

hey guys check this out!

(Edward Pope) #11

Excellent. Now, the next issue is a way for USGS to obtain the data using the various similar devices in the SmartHiomes without potentially becoming a security risk.

I assume as we start implementing devices that do more, we will be changing the way this information is gathered and we will have a better picture of our environment.

Something similar to the weather stations that reported back to the forecasters, this allowed them to see the big picture or small picture as needed for the areas with the stations reporting in.

As we make sensors that are capable of sensing all environmental changes, it will allow us to adapt more quickly and respond to changes both positive and negative in our environment.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #12

Wow, great admission of use of people’s data… What other stats are you keeping? how often are pressence sensors not home in a given neighborhood?

What governs the use and release of our aggregated data? As I am sure this isn’t personally identifiable multisensors here…

Anyway, the risk of cloud based HA, someone will use your data…

If you haven’t already seen it, PressureNet on Android does something similar for barometer readings.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #14

So, just reread the TOS and Privacy Policy… Nothing really covers this type of aggregate data from our sensors.

Not a lawyer, but I am a bit disturbed ST published sensor data over a timeframe on their website.

What protections are in place that this data can’t be used to identify us individually?

Clearly, location data, sensor data and time where gathered and then separated to 70 miles within the epicenter of the quake…

As COOL as the data is, usage of said data, isn’t so cool.

Personally, I would love to see ST have some sort of exclusion / opt out option so those of us who don’t want our device information shared with the public (which is vastly different then sharing with partners per the Privacy Policy) can opt out of this data aggregation.

(Edward Pope) #15

@pstuart you certainly bring up a good point. The data that they presented was obviously a representation, and could have been from an employee in the area that they received the ok to show what they found.

As I stated, we need to have a way to approve certain devices like the ST Multi to send the data to a aggregator without any particular information that allows that data to be ID’d to ourselves. As long as we customers can approve what is used and who uses it, then this could be a valuable opportunity for everyone involved.

Edit: Ok, Looking back I did not make that very clear. This is what I meant with it being a security risk.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #16

No doubt, but at least allow me to opt out, if I so choose. Multi sensor vibration data is one thing…

however, gathering up presence data and knowing if someone is home or not is another… Or motion sensors in my house, etc…

(Edward Pope) #17

Yes, but we knew going into this that it was a cloud system. Our data from our house is going to be in logs on the ST server. Even with a local hub and all processes being local, it still for the most part uses wireless. These signals can be intercepted and the same data can be gathered from outside your house. One of the benefits of the cloud system, is if something happens there is no way to delete the logs or if there was an event at your house, the logs would not be compromised.

I like you feel that we need to have control of our data. And it needs to be absolute. I hope that ST will champion this idea and move forward. But, even as much as I love ST, if I do see them selling data or doing things without our permission that I will leave the system.

(Geko) #18

There’s no doubt in my mind that user data will be monetized one way or another sooner or later. That’s why all corporations are building their cloud services. “Big data” is the name of the game. You have to ask yourself why Samsung bought ST and not, for example, Mi Casa Verde (Vera). The answer is there’s no cloud behind Vera.

Building and selling gadgets is a dirty, low-margin business. Anyone can do it. The real money is in selling data. Think Google and Facebook. They provide useful services “free of charge”, but monetize all the data we share with them either willingly or not. The same game is being played with “Internet of Things”. There exist huge data mining opportunities for anyone who cares to exploit it.

(Edward Pope) #19

You do have a point there. Being that ST is open source, their thinking is going to be different. Well, at least I hope it will be (SMILE). Still if I do see them selling my data without permission, then I will be forced to leave. If I say ok to it, that is one thing. And some data I have no problem with them having.

(Geko) #20

Will SmartThings share any of the personal information it receives?

We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information in personally identifiable form to anyone. However, we do share your Personal Information with third parties as described in this section:

Aggregated Personal Information that’s no longer personally identifiable. We may anonymize your Personal Information so that you cannot be individually identified, and provide that information to our partners. We may also provide aggregate information to our partners, who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use our Services. However, except as described below, we never disclose aggregate information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally, as an individual.

Original link: