Smartrules vs Rule machine

My Rule Machine app was free. How much did you pay for your version?

Please, let’s not make this a thread about Bruce’s decisions. That discussion is well covered in the main Rule Machine thread.

3 Likes

Well I tried to do my first rule from switching over from Rule Machine and hit a wall
Pretty simple, if contact sensor is open for 5 minutes, do a push notification.

So I do not see anything in the conditions that says, “if x time passed” do something.
@obycode

Hi Dan. That feature is coming in v2.0, we call it “
and stays that way”. Version 2.0 has already been approved by Apple and SmartThings, and is just waiting for SmartThings to publish, which I’m told will be happening next week, Monday the 25th.

2 Likes

I am really hoping that an android release or atleast a webversion will come out soon. Would love to be able to use this.

3 Likes

I need an smartapp that turns switch on and off based on 2 temperature sensors difference. For example, one temp sensor gets hotter than another by X degrees- switch turns on. If it is hotter less than X degrees- switch turns back off.
Can Smatrules do it? I played with lite version and do not see how.

No, you can currently only compare a temperature sensor to a constant value, not to another temperature sensor. I will add this to the list of requested features that we will consider adding.

I just bought Smartrules hoping I could use it co control my (zoned) heating system. But it seems it won’t set either the temperature or the mode of a thermostat.

Big disappointment

What thermostats do you have? I have mine fine tuned thanks to ST

@obycode Hey Brice, any update on the release of v2.0? I’m really looking forward to the “stays that way” feature.

I think he said next Monday.
I am still waiting for that too until I buy the app.
Need to make sure it can everything I had Rule Machine doing before I fork out the $$.

Yes, this coming Monday is what we’re expecting, but that is out of my control, so don’t hold me to it if it doesn’t happen.

Also, I agree @esakowski, “and stays that way” was a big missing piece before. I was desperately missing it before and doubled my own rules after implementing it.

Thermostats and color bulb control are the two biggest feature requests right now. They will both be in v2.1.

3 Likes

will we have to buy the new version or is it a free upgrade?

It is a free upgrade :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How you gonna get rich like that? :moneybag: :thinking:

Evohome, using a third party integration.

Didn’t know about smartrules, used rule machine before, interesting
 Looks easier to use than RM for me as a non coder to especially.

I know it’s “only” £8, but I hate buying apps and then they get no support. What worries me is if ST gets a update, then this stops working, and then it either can’t be fixed because of a ST platform problem, left in limbo by no fault of the app or developer. All the rules made could be defunct.

Well all upgrades always be free or just for this version?

Is there any price reduction coming, especially for v2 next week? Noticed it went up ÂŁ3 in March.

There’s no trial version in UK so, it’s a buy and see.

Can you as a trigger do a “if this motion, or this open/close” ie can a trigger be a “if”?

Is there anything specific that you can’t do in the app because of the ST platform limits?

Good questions @R2D2. I’m Brice, the founder of obycode, the company that builds SmartRules. Let me try to answer them for you.

We’re in this for the long haul and have lots of plans for the future, so we’ll definitely be supporting and improving SmartRules for the foreseeable future. Of course I can’t promise it will be supported forever, but since it doesn’t rely on any third party infrastructure, just the SmartThings cloud, you could keep creating and relying on your rules even if we closed up shop.

Updates to keep the app up-to-date and fix and add core features will always be free. Apple doesn’t give us a way to charge for them anyway. There may be advanced features added in the future that require in-app purchases or a subscription.

No price reduction planned for the time being.

If you wait just a few more days for version 2.0, you will be able to get the app for free and try it out with 1 rule, then purchase unlimited rules via an in-app purchase.

I’m not sure I understand this question. A trigger is always an “if this happens” (or “if any of these happen”). You can have multiple triggers which allow the rule to trigger if any of them happens. Then there are also conditions (“while this is true”) that are tested once the rule is triggered.

So far, the only thing we’ve discovered that we can’t do because of SmartThings restrictions is to control the state of Smart Home Monitor. The API for that is closed, and although developers have figured out how to do it, it is not accepted for apps like SmartRules which are reviewed, approved and officially published. There are still some other features that are not implemented yet, but not due to any restrictions from SmartThings. See the site, http://smartrulesapp.com, for a complete list of currently supported features.

I’ll be happy to answer any other questions you have here or via support@smartrulesapp.com. We also love hearing ideas for future improvements. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering @obycode. I’ve looked on your website, it looks really good, especially for non developers/coders like me. Will you be active on here also for questions etc ask the time too?

I know requests are sometimes specific to an individual and the way Apple certification, testing etc is sometimes long, but are you receptive to requests to add to your app?

If I bought, and then you decided to add even more IAP for more functionality I wouldn’t really be happy. £8 would be (I’d imagine others to?), the most I’ve paid for an app. And then to later on only get further “updates/additions” via IAP would be a bit disappointing. Although obviously you deserve all you get got your hard work, just to then ask owners already to get stuff in, but only by buying again would be hard.

On the triggers, that is what I meant, " if any of these" so either a motion OR a open/close for example

I bought ST really expecting this to be built in. I know routines are there, but no rules like this I couldn’t understand.

As I say, my biggest worry would be to rely on your app and then either you disappear, or Samsung decide to do similar and build it in, and probably on purpose break your app somehow, it’s happened before, Hue stopped other lamps talking to their hub for example.

On the SHM where you say you can’t, what would you do if could? Send alerts to it? Not sure what you could do on this as far as I understand, SHM just monitors any sensors (things) you want while either in/away and alert you. Your app could do similar by monitoring sensors of a routine was run