SmartRules 2.0

Sorry to ask a ton of questions.

Is there the ability to back up rules?

I have just over a hundred rules among all of my apps and would love an automatic rule backup without having to spend time updating a spread sheet.

1 Like

Yes, there is! You tap the export button and it puts together an email with a readable listing of your rules and an attachment with a machine-readable version that can be imported back in to the app.

1 Like

Awesome! That makes my day… Now I just need that Android app. (Ios is my secondary (work) device).

Oh, one last question before the next one…

Does smart rules use states?

1 Like

Yes, we do use state. I haven’t personally seen any issues or heard of any problems like those that the Rule Machine users were talking about, but I guess it could be possible.

1 Like

Ok, no problem. The backup ability definitely makes that worry minimal.

I look forward to digging into this.

2 Likes

In for Android. Watching thread until then.

3 Likes

Looks good. I recommend you modify your Apple Watch app to how ST’s is by using bars across with the rule as the display is too small to sell out the rules.

1 Like

Tag me please when Android version is ready (just in case this thread gets lost due to the instability ;))

1 Like

A couple of questions regarding how triggers work:

• When motion is detected as a trigger, does it continuously re-trigger or wait until motion is inactive? I see lots of messages regarding triggering in my notifications, and they have the same timestamp (see image below).
  • For triggering upon motion inactive “and stays that way”, is this ‘canceled’ if motion becomes active again before the delayed action occurs? I assume yes based on “and stays that way”.

1 Like

@obycode
Do I need two separate rules to turn on lights at 11am and turn off at 5pm?

Also, what are the premium subscriptions reserved for?
What kind of features would be included with a monthly payment?

Another useful feature would be the ability to group rules for areas of the house.
I have like 10 rules for my family room, it would be awesome to group these into a folder or something so they don’t mix with my other 50 rules around the house.

Also, the ability to track the battery usage in sensors. If it had both those features… man.
Either way, I did purchase the app…

1 Like

It triggers whenever the state changes from no motion to motion. Some motion sensors report each instance of motion individually, then revert to the no motion state. Others stay in the motion detected state for some amount of time, ex 30 seconds, and only switch back to no motion when there has been no motion for some time.

Yes, that’s right. It will only run the rule if there has been no motion for the specified time.

1 Like

Any idea why my rule below doesn’t work. Seems pretty simple.
If the back door is open, and it is before 7am or after 7pm, turn light on then off after 10m.
The problem is the time, once I remove both time conditions, the lights work fine.
But it is 10:35pm right now and it just won’t work, even with just the After 7pm.

1 Like

Yes, that would require one rule to turn on and one to turn off.

This is still up in the air, but it will be reserved only for features that require some ongoing expenses on our end, such as data subscriptions from third parties, server costs, etc. These would be completely optional and all rules without these features would still work without the subscription. Don’t worry, the subscription will not be required for the basic features.

Definitely grouping of rules is on our todo list and battery triggers got added to the list today. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Is your location definitely set correctly in SmartThings? Is it possible that it’s in the wrong timezone?

1 Like

Yes, I am on eastern. I double checked.

Just testing with a completely separate sensor and switch.
The “while this is true” times do not work for anything.
But once I take it out the time condition, the switch triggers.

I even tried if time is after 5pm - still does not register.

1 Like

Have I read that right - If you’ve previously purchased SmartRule (v1) you don’t need to re-purchase V2 ? I tried restoring my purchases but I think it still shows as wanting the in-app purchase at £7.99 UK. I say 'I think because Basic is ticked - does that mean it’s already enabled ? I suspect not as it goes to the iTunes store…

1 Like

Yes, you’ve read that right. If the “Basic” button is checked, you should be good to go. Are you able to create more than one rule? That is the only limitation without the purchase.

Thank you. What a nice surprise when a developer offers major version upgrades like this, and replies to support questions in what must be the middle of the night for you. Haven’t had a chance yet but I will try adding some rules and report back…

4 Likes

Quick question, I currently use rule machine to notify me when any door opens when I am not home. I tried to set this up in smart rules but I don’t see an option to send an sms with the name of the door that was opened, is there a way you could add that option like in rule machine?

1 Like

No, we don’t have that yet, only static messages. That sounds like a great idea for a future update though. It’s on the list :slight_smile:

1 Like