SmartRules 2.0

I just so happened to have Live Logging running around the time that a scheduled mode change was supposed to occur. Reviewing the SmartRules log I found that a mode change that should have occurred @ 10PM didn’t occur. Furthermore, there isn’t even anything in the log or SmartThings app notification/activity history that would suggest an attempt to execute the rule took place.

Would this be an issue with SmartThings or SmartRules?

Android coming?

2 Likes

Does this smartapp need frequent interaction?
Meaning, if I set it up on my ipad, will I be able to use my android and have things run correctly? or is this app really dependent on iOS devices (such as presence, etc?)

Is it still the case that if you had an existing 1.0 license, upgraded to 2.0, and (as in my case) activate a new phone the fully authorized license will not transfer?

I’m on my new phone now, have attempted to restore purchases to regain full access. However, no success.

Do you have plans or is there anyway currently to have nested variables.
For example.

Trigger:
Motion sensor = active

Rule:
if
(Time of day = x, or. time of day override switch = on)
and
Mode is = home

Turn on light.

It’s not overly complicated, and I might end up using a lux sensor instead, as its for a room which if it’s not a nice day outside I would like lights to “pretend” it’s night time (which using Rule Machine, I currently use a virtual switch “time of day override”).

Cheers
ROfu

Also do you have plans for an Else variable? So on a trigger it’ll do something based on conditions or else it’ll do something different?

Can see this being very useful in normal rule situations?

Cheers
ROfu

1 Like

I’m having similar issues with events triggering that should not. Did you figure this out? I’ll post the details next.

Here are details on a problem I just started having a few days ago with SmartRules. I reported this through the Contact Us section of their website, but am putting a copy here in case it will help others or if the developer prefers to answer here.

SmartRules recently started to trigger alerts when it shouldn’t. I’m using the latest version of it on the latest iOS on an iPhone 6S.

I have a rule that says If this happens: AEON MULTISENSOR6, GOES ABOVE48
while this is true: blank
then do this: SEND SMS NOTIFY & SMS PHONE NUMBER MESSAGE: Humidity getting high

For the AEON MULTISENSOR I am positive I selected its Humidity Sensor. However I am getting this alert regularly even though the humidity level is nearly constant around 45%. When I look at the “Recently” section in SmartThings I can confirm that the humidity is never crossing above 48 where the rule should trigger. What I did notice, however, is that the alerts are triggering each time the Aeon Multisensor reports a change to its temperature. Even though I made the event trigger based around the humidity sensor in the unit, not temperature. For instance right now I see in the Recently log in ST reports of the temperature changing at 12:16PM, 11:51 AM, 11:36AM, 11:26 AM, 11:21 AM and at ALL of those exact times I also have SMS messages from the rule saying the humidity is getting high. So it looks like to me that SmartRules is monitoring the temperature, instead of the humidity, despite me being 100% certain I selected the humidity sensor for the rule.

What is also odd is that I’ve been playing around with SmartRules like this with this sensor with the same type of rules for weeks, and this issue only seems to have started recently. Perhaps at the time I updated the ST app or perhaps there was a ST hub update. I have tried deleting the rule and recreating it, as well as logging out of SmartRules and logging back in and recreating it, but it hasn’t made a difference.

Any ideas of what may be going on and how it can be resolved? Please let me know what additional steps or information I can send to help you troubleshoot it further. Thank you.

What I meant was, we’ve added this new feature to our todo list. The new feature being a condition that lets you specify how long it has been true, similar to the “and stays that way” option for triggers, this would be “and has been that way” option for conditions.

1 Like

I can’t say for sure, but scheduling issues are still common in SmartThings. We are still investigating these strange scheduled trigger issues, but they seem to be inconsistent and difficult to reproduce.

Yes, that is true. Only the in-app purchase can be restored, not the version 1 purchase. We are still trying to figure out a solution to this.

We don’t have that yet, but it is a long-awaited feature for some users. The tricky part is how to display this and avoid confusing more basic users.

I’ve gotten a few requests for that one too. It is on the list to be investigated further.

Thanks for the response - Great stuff, keep up the good work, nice to see a GUI centric alternative to RM and CoRE

@obycode
Is there a way to have a rule like this:
If contact open, turn switch XY On
But switch XY needs to have been Off for at least 1M.

I think I need to do If Switch Off for 1M under the “while this is true” section but it doesn’t give a time delay option here.

No, there’s not right now, but its on the list of todo items. It will be easy to add since its similar to the “and stays that way” in the triggers.

My question is what is the earliest iDevice that SmartRule will support?

I paid more than enough for all smart hardware, so I have no problem buying an old iDevice just to get an actively supported Rule Engine again (loved RM and helped Bruce debug several times sad to see it go).

@obycode
I recently bought a Sonos - I see SmartRules does not allow you to enter a custom message.
How do I get about getting a “URI” link for audio files? I am having a hard time getting something to play using SR.

You can’t enter a custom message because for some reason, the Sonos device type does not support the “Speech Synthesis” capability, even though the commands are there. You can use this modified device type ( https://github.com/obycode/smartthings-smartapps/blob/master/Sonos.groovy ), then authorize your sonos as a speech synthesizer for SmartRules and you’ll be able to speak custom messages from a rule.

2 Likes

@obycode
Why can’t i make a rule that says:

If Door is Open

While All are True:
Night Mode is Inactive
Kitchen Light has been Off for 1M

Then:
Turn Front Light On

We can’t have a condition that the kitchen light has been for a certain time? I can say If Kitchen Light is Off for 1m then do XYZ but why can’t I have it has a condition?

Is there a way around this?

@obycode
Also, Quicktaps no longer work for me.
I just upgraded my iOS 9.3.2, not sure if that has anything to do with it.