SmartLighting Migration Beta

I will join beta to hopefully start getting my stuff working like it use to

Would be glad to join

I’m interested in participating the SmartLighting beta

My hub is an uk version (v2) and i am based in ASP and smartlighing app has never been available to me so i recall years ago i install it through groovy myself, actually i don’t know why some regions cannot access it for whatever reason

1 Like

As per above - how is this different to whats on the discover tab now? If it is and gives us more options then please opt me in.

Please dont shoot me down in flames - but just So that I understand more clearly, what is the reason for the extra “smart lighting” why not just make the routines section more powerful and versatile instead of having two options?
Or is that the end game?

Something ive always asked for is a calendar option in the time section. Some routines only run at certain months of the year. Rather than think ‘i need to do that now’ it can be set and forget. This allows flexibility for the holiday seasons / greenhouse heating and lighting.

2 Likes

Great question, and something I was also wondering. Other than being specific to lights, I wasn’t sure why all automation wasn’t deferred to Routines now. In the past Smartlighting used to be the “local” solution, but with the changes to bring most everything local, why is Smartlighting still needed?

1 Like

This beta is for the migration of automations from the Groovy version of Smart Lighting to the new plug-in Smart Lighting.

3 Likes

In the past there were at least a couple of reasons that the Groovy version of Smart Lighting was useful.

• When I got started about 3 years ago it was the only way to have automations that ran locally on the hub.
  • It still has the mirror/sync automation which can be set up with the fewest number of automations.

My guess is that they’re retaining it because the old one was very popular in regions where it was available and they hit issues trying to automatically migrate automations from the Groovy version of Smart Lighting to standard Routines.

3 Likes

I think we can only speculate. My tuppence worth would be that Routines are intended for simple standalone ‘if 
 then 
’ automations and it was never the intention that they be combined to create more complex solutions.

To fuse Routines and Smart Lighting you would either need to allow for more complexity in the logic of Routines, or you would need users to appreciate that much of the Smart Lighting functionality needs at least two Routines to implement and isn’t quite as trivial as it seems. I don’t think either is desirable. One way makes Routines too complicated, the other expects too much from a significant installed base of users.

If Smart Lighting didn’t already exist I doubt ST would bother to create it now except perhaps to demonstrate how Rules could be packaged as apps for niche solutions.

3 Likes

It also allows you to break up your automations into two groups so you don’t have quite so many to scroll through, as long as you can remember which bucket a given rule belongs to.

1 Like

I thought this beta was about testing the automatic migration process for old smart lighting rules To new smart lighting rules. If you aren’t in the beta, right now you have to rebuild all your rules individually. So this was a test of the migration process, not the new smart lighting itself.

Or am I mistaken? :thinking:

2 Likes

Nope. That’s the title.

1 Like

Yes mirror sync was great. But still all stuff they could just build into routines

Agree.

When the limit on routines was low, I was hoping automations in Smart Lighting would not count towards that limit. But now we know they do count towards the same limit but it’s raised to 1000.

I’m planning to recreate all my Smart Lighting automations other than sync/mirror to Routines.

3 Likes

I would like to participate

I would like to participate in the beta.

Thankyou

@Khoeye - do you have any information regarding the ability to mirror RGBW bulbs? This is a very major oversight of basic functionality. Many of us have Groovy SmartApps installed, such as Color Coordinator, or Trendsetter, that allow for bulb color to be synced. This is useful for many reasons, for example, if you have two bulbs in one light fixture, or if you want to set numerous bulbs in the same room to one color without having to adjust 10 bulbs individually.

5 Likes