Smarthings Outlet. Fire Hazard

Sorry Smartthings, but I’ve logged a ticket and had no response. I’ve tried to contact you through twitter and also recieved no response. I now need to see whether posting on the public forum has any recourse

Have a look at my YouTube upload. You can clearly see where my smartthings outlet started to smoke and burn. Luckily I was in and able to isolate the device before causing any serious fire damage apart from damage.

This isn’t the first time a Samsung product range has been subject to self combustion. I have four Samsung outlet plugs in my house and I’m worried about the safety of these products not just in my house, but all ST users homes.

The plug was so burnt it had to be prized apart to separate it from the device plug. Needless to say the outlet and device is now no longer working.

Please advise.

Regards

Josh

1 Like

Just curious. What appliance are you plugging it to and what’s the wattage?

Wow that sucks, sorry. Maybe someone like @Aaron can help with your difficulty reaching support.

Also curious to know what was plugged into the outlet.

1 Like

A low voltage convertor heater. Open conservatory door, heater comes on, that kind of thing.

Did you get a ticket number for your submission? If so, please DM it to me and I can see what is going on. If not, shoot the images over to support@smartthings.co.uk.

To address the root of your concern - many UK heaters say only to use directly on mains. Although their standard draw is within operating parameters, they can spike when the heating elements flair up, which causes the fuse in the outlet to pop (the whole home circuit has a larger fuse and can take the fluctuations). If you are within warranty, the support team will definitely take care of you.

1 Like

I had exactly the same with mine, about a year ago - same scorch marks on the same bit of the socket. It had got so hot that it almost welded in the 13A Plug, and it took some force to remove it. I raised a ticket with ST Support and they requested it be sent back - plus they gave me a new one.

Just a bit concerning that at least 2 have failed in such a dramatic fashion.

Mine had a tumble dryer attached, so quite a load - but at the time of failure it wasn’t on.

Shaun

1 Like

The connection between the plug and the socket is poor - if you use a plug with partly sleeved pins then the area of contact is very small. Look back through the posts here and you’ll see loads of people complaining that their socket doesn’t work, but when someone suggests they try a different plug, or wiggle the plug, it works again.

If your plug is only making partial contact like this, and you’re using a high current device (and form of heater) you’re going to see problems like this.

I’m surprised these plugs weren’t recalled when the problems first started being reported. I now only use mine as repeaters, and/or with very low load equipment plugged in.

3 Likes

I’ve had a look through specs and there’s nothing relating to wiring directly to the walls. Joe’s been in touch with me now and has requested a few details. I’m not just being difficult customer here, but I’ve got one of these attached to my daughters bedroom light with the same load as this heater. I’m not confident with this product now in her room.

What sort of bedroom light to you have that draws about the same current as a 2,000-watt heater?

It outputs to 2000kw just like the heater. Doesn’t mean they both reach that.

Wow 2000kw that’s some light!! Will put most lighthouses to shame. :wink:
(Yes I know it’s a typo but can’t help it)

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “it outputs to 2000kw” (though I know you meant 2000w) with regard to the light. Is it a fixture with 2,000 watts worth of light bulbs in it? A spot light? What exactly are you referring to?

The SmartThings plug in device is rated for 13 A in the UK. It should be able to handle a resistive load of 3000 W. (3kW)

That doesn’t account for the issues of surge that @aaron mentioned or the issues of fit that @PailOckenden mentioned, but the standard draw wattage sounds like it’s within spec.

It’s this. Why do ask? It helps her sleep.

Sorry, I’m clearly messing up my w/kWh, aren’t I.
They’ve replied and are going to sort it. Still concerning though. I’ve loads of these around my house. I wouldn’t trust it with anything stronger than a lamp.

1 Like

Here are others reporting similar / related problems:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?4639-Samsung-Outlet

I’m sure I’ve seen others, too. And I’ve certainly experienced the poor connection here.

P.

1 Like

Don’t worry about this! Never hesitate to ping me, @Joe-UK, or anyone else on the team if you feel like the team isn’t taking care of you.

2 Likes

So what could be happening inside the Samsung socket here that’s causing this?
How does duff connection on one of the pins of the appliance plug cause this?

Scary - I’d stop using mine immediately.

These outlets are rated 12A (MAX).

Spec’d at 13A on the U.K. Samsung site.

Agreed,
according to the spec sheet but actually stamped at 12A (MAX) on the actual socket.

1 Like