SmartenIT ZBWS3 [2014]

I want to be supportive but I don’t think your observations are accurate. I’m curious are you basing your comments on developer experience or just how you think things work based on user experience? Have you developed any custom device types that talk to ZigBee devices? Its absolutely possible for this 3 button ZigBee switch to trigger an event in the cloud. The fact the SmartThings Hub is not ZigBee certified has nothing to do with this.

Just because someone hasn’t created the functionality doesn’t mean it cant be done.

@JohnR ,

Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

It looks like from the conversations above that no one, including @sjansen , have been able to get the device to work using the Minimote-like button controller code from @thegibertchan . SJansen went back to using your original contact sensor type.

So you’re saying forget using the switch as a secondary, just define it as a contact sensor (not a button controller) with 3 sensors, and that that then have the sensor event trigger the Hello Home Action?

Very cool. I see how that could work from a different direction, because we know ST does accept push input from sensors.

So it wouldn’t be a true secondary because it couldn’t create groups, scenes, or join other end nodes. You’d have to do all that at the hub. But that would be OK for most people’s purposes.

Certainly it would work for my own use case.

Just to confirm: your code does cause the ST hub to recognise each of the three switches as a separate contact sensor? And if you’re using them to, say, turn on each of three lights, one of those lights could be zwave, you’re not just using local binding with other zigbee devices? And ST correctly shows the status of the three lights in the mobile app?

Thanks!

@JohnR

The more I think about it, the more I think treating the switch as a sensor instead of a secondary could work for me, using your excellent contact sensor code. It wouldn’t be a true secondary the way the Minimote is, but it wouldn’t matter, it would work like 3 pressure sensors set next to each other.

I think you were answering a different question than I was asking, because I was thinking about the known Zwave secondary controller issues, but the problem was I was asking the wrong question since I don’t really need a secondary!

This could be very useful, thanks! :blush:

@JohnR

At some point you asked about my background and if I’ve coded any custom device types.

Plenty, but not for ST. Some are commercially in use in utility company installations. (My first custom install was in a nuclear power plant.) College major in Computer Information Systems, became a network engineer and worked for IBM, life took an unexpected turn and left me quadriparetic.

JDRoberts so sorry to hear about your “unexpected turn” that is very a tough break!! Its great to see you on here and still plugging away please keep going!! Very impressive background sir!!

Was it you who was talking about a service dog that is able to turn on and off certain sized toggle switches on command. If you are looking for switches that are ZigBee enabled and are a toggle it wouldn’t be a huge deal to connect the switches to a ZigBee radio. If you can send me a picture or a link to one of the switches that works best for you dog I would be happy to give it a look.

I’ve mentioned my service dog, so it may have been me or someone else. Like most typical labrador service dogs trained for people in wheelchairs, he can work a lot of different types of light switches with his nose to go up and his chin to go down. From a form factor standpoint, it’s real similar to me working a switch with my elbow.

He can do a conventional toggle switch, but if you get two or three of them next to each other, it gets tricky to get the correct one.

Anything that’s just a button press is simple. (He loves the Staples Easy Button, which we use that as a training toy.)

He’s good with touchless proximity switches, although in most cases if he did touch it the switch still works.

Some dogs can learn the concept of doubletap or press and hold vs press–he just doesn’t get it. He can count to 3 or 4, but he just doesn’t understand the biomechanics I’m asking for. He’ll press until something happens, like a light or a noise, but he won’t do a doubletap with one cue or a single tap with another on the same object.

Big rocker switches are physically comfortable for both of us, so we do use those a lot. But single press switches that don’t toggle are good, too. It’s just little rockers, little flip switches, or small buttons packed in a tight grid that are problematic.

My occupational therapist, who is big on using everyday items, uses a tennis ball to test switches. Hold the ball in your hand and try to work the switch with it. If you can, the dog will probably be able to do so easily. If you can’t, it may still be possible, but it could get tricky.

So what works best for us is a conventional rocker switch where both on and off are just a push.

http://greenstep.com/images/stories/SINGLE-ROCKER(1).jpg

Anything with that form factor for a toggle, or a single press in any shape that passes the tennis ball test, should work for my house.

That is so cool. I had no idea they had service dogs that could push switches or even double tap. The switch you have pictured is pretty darn standard have you been able to find a ZigBee or Z-Wave switch that meets your requirements? I’m guessing you want to replace your existing switches with these type of switches? If you have found a ZigBee switch I will be very happy to help write the SmartThings device driver.

On the other hand if you are looking to have this switch mounted in a box say on the floor or down low on the wall where your dog can easily get to it you could take any switch you like and hook it up to a ZigBee device that has a digital I/O port. I will be happy to help with this as well.

I can see how this switch http://smartenit.com/product/zbws3b/ wouldn’t work as the buttons are probable too close together and would be very difficult for a dog to tell the difference between left, center and right with his nose.

Just to clear things up regarding Z-Wave controllers, there are a few different ways to configure controllers in Z-Wave and SmartThings only lacks support for one of them: Controller Replication.

Unfortunately Controller Replication is the only way to configure old-style GE remotes to send messages to the hub, but those are the only devices we’ve run into that don’t support any other configuration methods. We expect all future remotes and scene controllers to be integratable with SmartThings.

If I get a chance I’ll try to add Controller Replication to the hub, but it’s not a priority as those devices are basically discontinued anyway.

2 Likes

That is excellent news! Thanks!

@JDRoberts, I think you and @JohnR are well on the way to clearing up the confusion here. To your question above: each of the three switches is identified as a separate contact sensor and you can code your smart apps to deal with those inputs as you like through the hub. I’m not doing any local binding to other zigbee devices. I’ve used this to trigger a wide variety of devices (zigbee, zwave, wemo, etc.)

Also, my initial issues with the @thegibertchan device type were just a fluke I think. I didn’t mean to suggest it doesn’t work. @cassmie was able to use it successfully.

1 Like

More form factor…this 2013 news story from England includes a video of a very well trained service dog doing many tasks, including turning on a light. The video takes about 30 seconds to load after you press the Play arrow so that it blinks. You may need to press the arrow a second time, Sky has a quirky site.

Would be nice if some effort was put into this because these items are still readily avaliable and very affordable…

I apologize for my ignorance, but I’m a little lost reading this thread. Is the Smartenit #ZBWS3B 3-button switch confirmed working for all 3 buttons?

Is it officially supported or do I need a custom device type?

Officially Supported Devices are listed here:
(NB: If there is an “i” after the entry, then it really isn’t fully supported).

https://www.smartthings.com/product/works-with-smartthings/

No official device type I know of.

I’ve ordered the device, it hasn’t it hasn’t come yet. I expect to use @JohnR 's code.

I’ll post a picture of my service dog using it if it works as expected. :pig_nose: He should be able to at least work the left and right, not sure about the center. We’ll see.

1 Like

Thanks. I look forward to your update!

The"I" just means more information. Some of those devices do work fully, and the I just notes that they can be used as repeaters. So you have to read each note for the details.

1 Like

I have my 3 button switch connected to a few different lights and for some reason when I a button once it turns the light on then off. I am using the device type code written by @thegibertchan. Any ideas why this would all of sudden change. It was working well up until yesterday.

There is some really weird problem affecting button controllers that just started two days ago. First reported for the Enerwave sc7 then for the minimote then for the virtual minimote in the IDE(!).

ST has been able to replicate the problem in their lab and is looking at it.
(:mag_right::ghost:)

Might be related to your issue, might not, but sounds likely.

This isn’t working for me, even after the bind.

I installed @thegibertchan 's type above. My device is successfully joined to the network. It shows up in the mobile app and I was able to install the button controller smartapp for it. The mobile app shows the status of all three buttons as “released.”

The log shows the configure command being sent.

But that’s it. The hub doesn’t seem to be processing the actual button events at all.

Any ideas?

Did you use the physical device program button during the configure to complete the bind?