SmartenIT ZBWS3 [2014]

@JohnR, I think I’m having a similar issue as @cassmie. When I go to assign the contact sensor(s) there is only one in the list for the 3-button switch. I’ve been able to assign that single button, and it works, but the other two aren’t listed with the contact sensor(s).

When I tap the gear for the buttons in the Things menu I can see all three contacts and they all actuate properly.

@sjansen, I can’t even get a button to work at this point. I tried the steps provided but no luck. What steps did you take to get where you are?

@cassmie, to confirm, it sounds like you were able to connect your switches and add the device type? Are you able to see the 3-button switch under Things? And when you click the gear icon under Things, do you see all 3 buttons? Do they change state when you press the buttons?

From there I used the SmartSetup button (plus sign at bottom of main app screen) to add an Action. Under Lighting there is an app called Turn on when a door or window is opened. After adding this I was able to Add new light/switch, give it a name, selected turn on when a door or window is opened, Choose a contact sensor(s), and then 1 of my 3 buttons is listed as a contact sensor. That’s where I’m stuck on how to get the other two buttons (contact sensors) listed.

Let me know if these instructions don’t get you to at least 1 button working, I’m happy to clarify. Then again, I’m not sure this is the right approach since I’m only getting 1 button…:wink:

Right now in the app I see the device and when I click the gear I see 3 contact sensors. When I press the buttons on the remote the state does not change in the app.

Thanks

@sjansen Good Job! I think you have gone as far as you can without more custom code. To access the other two switches you will need to create a custom Smart App. I’m a ZigBee device guy so I was able to hack together a custom device type to get you guys this far. For the next step it would be great if a Groovy web guy or gal would create us a custom Smart App to respond to the other two switches. I do most of my work in Spin and C# so I have to hack my way through the Groovy Java stuff.

Cassmie if your buttons don’t change you may need to delete the switch from your SmartThings database, reset the switch to factory and rejoin the network. This switch it is pretty dumb it just sends the toggle command and has no clue if it actulay was received or not. It is a ZigBee end device that sleeps until you push one of the three buttons. When a button is pushed it wakes up, connects to its ZigBee router and sends a packet to the hub. This process can take some time depending on how quickly the SmartThings network and servers are running. I usually end up pushing the button again sending another toggle command that counters the first toggle command. Just something to keep in mind.

I purchased 2 of these switches and can’t get either to report that a button is pressed when viewing the app. I have removed the thing and added it and still no feedback in the app. weird

@cassmie, I don’t have any suggestions beyond what @Johnr recommended. I had to remove my switch and add it again as he suggested. I did reset the Zigbee switch before adding it again using the reset instructions included with the switch. If you haven’t tried that already, give it a shot.

@Johnr, I thought that might be the next step, thanks for clarifying. If any of the coding folks out there have some pointers to get me started that would be appreciated. In the mean time, I’m pretty comfortable with coding and will give it a shot on my own.

Thanks for all your help.

@JohnR: I was able to write my own app to assign a function to each of the three switches. Thanks for the help today.

@cassmie: Once you’re able to get your switches connected I’m happy to share the bit of code I wrote to get you started with them. In the mean time, I’ll spend a little more time testing it.

Nice job. Still having the same issue with the app not responding to the button being pressed. I will try resetting it again in the morning. When pair it to smartthings I use the typical connect in the app and then load the batteries into the switch. The app doesn’t pop up that it sees a new device until I “X” out and reopen the app that it says there is an unconfigured device.

Okay, you might actually be on the right track arriving at the unconfigured device. Try going to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list. Find your 3-button switch in that list. Does the Type say 3 Button ZigBee Toggle (ZBWS3)? If not, then John’s device type may not have applied properly. Click on the Display Name of the device, click Edit, and select the 3 Button ZigBee Toggle from the Type dropdown. Then check again to see if the button response appears in the app.

When I go to the list the device type is setup correctly with the 3 button toggle. I will try rebooting the system and see what happens.

what zigbee firmware are you running? I am on 1.5.4.

This is awesome you are restoring my faith in the SmartThings community! Good work @Sjansen!! When you get your SmartApp to a point your comfortable with it how about posting it to this thread. My custom device type is already posted above. This way folks will have a complete solution for the 3 button switch.

I’ve never been able to find my zigbee firmware version - where should I look?

Click on the “my hub” tab and check out the data row

I’m also on 1.5.4.

I’m not sure what the default state of the contact switch was when I first loaded the switch. Each button press cycles the state of the switch for me and I can see that in the Things tiles. If you go to the My Devices, open the device, and look at the Events List - is there anything in there as you cycle the switches?

it is empty…not sure what else to try at this point

Not sure what to suggest at this point either. Change batteries in the switch and try again from scratch?