Smartcam HD Pro feature support

:calling: Yup thatā€™s coming very soon! Look for it with the 2.0.4 release. :watch:

Good point! Our product team hasnā€™t discussed this quite yet but Iā€™ve ordered 10 micro-SD cards and started playing around with the APIs. :racehorse:

2 Likes

IAmA: Software Engineer @ SmartThings

Since my badge says ā€œstaffā€, I thought Iā€™d do a IAmA here - Iā€™m working on the SmartCam HD Pro Device Type and would love all your feedbacks!

jack@smartthings.com

2 Likes

Yes,Iā€™m using a Google OnHub (router), and it tracks down and up bandwidth for each individual device to the internet.

Update: And per recent answer from Jack, I now know the OnHub is tracking the upload bandwidth between ST Hub and camera.

Now all the readings for my OnHub make sense.

1 Like

Great photo!

Always happy to whinā€¦give feedback.

Do you think the issue might be the Samsung SmartCam app? I donā€™t use it at all, except when I first set up the Smartcam. I really prefer the ST app, which is the only one that allows me to inactivate the camera.

When I do, then the bandwidth upload goes idle in OnHub. But when I donā€™t, I get 332 MB upload in last hour. And thatā€™s without looking at anything, or any alerts happening.

Is the uploading only going to the ST Hub, and my OnHub router is reading it wrong?

Update: I missed the earlier message from you, where you answered my question before I asked it. Sorry.

So whatā€™s happening with OnHub is that itā€™s reading the traffic to the Hub from the camera. OK, that makes sense. Itā€™s unlike my Dropcam, which is actually streaming the video to the cloud.

Well, then, thank you for the correction. I feel much better about using the camera now that I have a better idea of what exactly is happening.

Now if only the SmartCam wouldnā€™t blow out details when you point it outside on a sunny day, it would be perfect.

1 Like

Very interesting! That makes sense as the camera is constantly streaming to the hub across your local network. Thatā€™s how we can pull video from before an ā€œincidentā€ occurs.

1 Like

It is kind of cool to see the communication not only from OnHub to the internet but between the devices.

I wasnā€™t being observant enough, because you can see from the readings thatā€™s what is happening.

I took a screenshot, and you can see how the device to the internet bandwidth doesnā€™t incorporate the communication between camera and hub.

Like I said, my bad for not being more observant.

1 Like

Very nice thread. Thanks for all the info. Now I will set up my HD smart cam that was setting on the table. Thanks all for the info!!! :wink:

1 Like

Correctly documented

http://hackyourhome.space/2015/10/smartthings-hub-and-samsung-smartcam-for-security-with-a-little-google-onhub-action-thrown-in/

1 Like

That does make sense :smile:
Glad you got it figured out

1 Like

Shelley I have been following this thread with great interest and just read your writeup on the blog. First thank you, it helps calm some of the concern around the camera/app using huge amounts of data. Based on your write up it appears you are using the ST hub and camera as I would like, that is as a security system. My concern is however that if motion can only be integrated into the camera via an independent motion sensor, it severely limits the ability to detect motion OUTSIDE the home, as the threads seems to indicate outdoor motion sensors are filled with false alarms. Though it based on @jackchi Jackchiā€™s comments, this may be changing as the cameraā€™s motion may be integrated into the ST hub to trigger an alert. This would be a huge win.

Assuming that pans out, being completely new to ST and camera etc. Can the camera be positioned to look outside a window, pointing at a front door for example, with motion setup to detect movement and actually work? I ask because movement inside the house is one thing, but if someone is casing the house or approaching my front door trying to pry it open, this would be the point at which I would want to be notified/alerted.

Being altered after the someone is inside the house, while still beneficial, diminishes the value of a security system, for mer anyways. The damage has already been done, the response time to get the police their becomes critical and most likely they are going to be leaving with something of value.

Ideally I would want cameras both inside and out, But have read your critique of how the resolution stinks, if one is planning and having it positioned outside a window. Does Dropcam do any better is this regard? Does an outdoor rated camera exist that can be integrated into ST at this point.

Iam all ears @jackchi or @Shelley_Powers for suggestions or an opinion on this.

None yet that I know of, but there is an outdoor camera in the SmartCam HD line that Iā€™m hoping will be integrated - http://amzn.to/1VUTgxv

The D-Link HD Outdoor Wi-Fi Camera DCS-2330L is supportedā€¦

1 Like

Oh really? It works with Smart Home Monitor?

Oh yeah, I just found this from Ben. I didnā€™t realize there were any outdoor cams supported. Thanks for the heads up!

toomuch,

(First, sorry Iā€™m posting so much in this thread, per community forum warning)

Anyway, I tried the SmartCam in the front window, where I have the Dropcam now. It worked well when the weather was cloudy, but the details were totally blown out when the sun was out. I tried to change the settings and no luck.

Dropcam really does have better video, but no ability to integrate it into ST or anything else. And it costs $9.95 a month to cache video. A no go. But one of the advantages to Dropcam is itā€™s small and dark, so it doesnā€™t reflect in the window. SmartCam is neither small, nor dark.

Iā€™m also trying to figure out what to do outdoors. The motion based cameras get false positives, and none of the cameras seem to do well inside pointing out, except Dropcam. And that option isnā€™t really all that great.

We talked in another thread about the new Blink, thatā€™s currently funded in Kickstarter. And thereā€™s Arlo, and Samsung has an outdoor camera. If they have motion restrictive areas you can identify, then you might be able to limit the false positives.

I really wish the SmartCam had worked out for capturing video through the window. But that isnā€™t its purpose.

Other than that, Iā€™m still looking for cameras. Thatā€™s the last piece to my set up.

I canā€™t wait for 2.0.4 to come out!

I got the smartthings outdoor camera working it was complicated I had to manually add it as a device through the ide with the correct idā€¦ then I could add it and configure it through the appā€¦ it still thinks it is the 6410 vs the 6440 but it works, oh and you need to edit the preferences in the device settingsā€¦ recommend only set profile 4 not 5 as it gets a bit flakey and doesnā€™t seem to have the horsepower as the indoor modelā€¦ but it did work and works for recording security clips on intrusion as wellā€¦ I have one installed at two locationsā€¦ pm me if you need more help.

Larry, thanks for the details on how to get the SmartCam outdoor camera to work. And Iā€™ll holler if I run into problems.

Do you like the outdoor SmartCam? Does it do better with bright sunshine compared to the indoor one?

Will the motion sensor notification capabilities be available on Ver1 of the ST Hub?