SmartApps for automation are no longer available

I am not able to find SmartApp for Automation option in project creation under Developer Workspace anymore.

Are those going away @nayelyz

Thatā€™s rather annoying as I was intending to something with that today.

Iā€™d happily use the API via the CLI as I really dislike the Developer Workspace, but although I can create an app and register it, all that gives me is a confirmed app. The deployment bit remains a mystery.

It seems a bit off to completely remove functionality without a little hint about what is going on.

4 Likes

There was some talk about SmartThings doing away with SmartApps (with hosted UIā€™s) and only pivoting to API based apps

I vaguely remember API based apps that could also make subscriptions were available a few years ago but they seemed a bit of a mess at the time and eventually disappeared from the documentation.

The Developer Workspace doesnā€™t seem to have the SmartApp based cloud integration either. At least not that I can see. It only covers the Schema.

Theyā€™re already in production on the new platform. There are SmartApps and API apps. The former is what I heard SmartThings wasnā€™t keen on pursuing / keeping around because it it creates too much overhead on maintaining the UI experience. They would rather the devs implement the UIā€™s on the web instead of through the mobile app.

Fine by me, but I still need to subscribe to stuff and that needs an installed app as far as I can tell.

I think the apps I remember reading about would have been more along the lines of the OAUTH apps which are kept under lock and key these days.

@nayelyz

Nayely, do you have any insight on the sudden disappearance of apps from the Developer Workspace? You can work with existing ones but you canā€™t create new ones. Itā€™s a bit like a pub with no beer at the moment, except in a pub theyā€™d put a sign up to warn you.

The Developer Workspace is currently being treated like an embarrassing relation that the family donā€™t mention. The developer.smartthings.com page, with its vivid blue colour scheme that is completely different to the look and feel of the pages it references, doesnā€™t mention it at all and if you are using a mobile browser the documentation and API reference pages donā€™t link to it as the desktop versions do.

Iā€™d be quite happy for the Developer Workspace to disappear tomorrow. It seems to inhabit the parallel universe of Samsung Developers where stuff is done in very strange ways. However the functionality would need replacing and it isnā€™t tomorrow yet.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Iā€™d like to know the answer to this as well.

1 Like

@nayelyz Is there anything to report? (Sorry to chase, Iā€™d just like to know if Smartapps are going to survive -:slight_smile: )

@nayelyz Hi there! I also wonder if Smartthings automation would work in the future. Is this possible to create a new automation project through your API (even if you removed it from UI)?
See docs.

I did try this and got ā€˜quiteā€™ farā€¦I managed to create an app and confirmed the url hosting (with the register), it now shows as app when I use the api to get apps. However, I canā€™t find a way to install it -:slight_smile:

@orangebucket I think tried this as well and could probably be clearer on what happens

2 Likes

Aha Sorry I see he did indeed follow the same process (and as I thought described more articulately)

@nayelyz @SupportTech Any updates?

1 Like

Tagging this again. The SmartApp shell that would allow webhooks and/or Lamba is no longer available.

@nayelyz @SupportTech

(and you cannot API develop one, since there is no ā€˜publishā€™ function in the API)

For example you canā€™t do this anymore:

2 Likes

I did the same, you can get all the way with the API building up the SmartApp, you just canā€™t publish it to the mobile device to install it.

4 Likes

I found some info about installation flow here.

App installation involves an OAuth process that allows a user to accept any requested permissions. After authorization, an Installed App is created.

So I tried to follow this instruction. I managed to register an Automation App and see it under the ā€˜/appsā€™ endpoint.
The CLIENT_ID and CLIENT_SECRET were created successfully. When I go to the ā€˜Website URLā€™ from the server log, Iā€™m able to log in with my SmartThings account credentials.
On this step the URL in my web browser looks like this:

https://api.smartthings.com/oauth/authorize?client_id=my_client_id&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fmy_app.eu.ngrok.io%2Foauth%2Fcallback&code_challenge_method=S256

BUT!!! When I click the ā€˜Authorizeā€™ button I get a 500 error from SmartThings.

Error:
GET /oauth/callback?error=invalid_request&error_description=The+request+is+malformed. 500

What should I get according to docs:

https://my_app.eu.ngrok.io/oauth/callback?code=blablabla&state=blablabla

In conclusion, I cannot install my app, because I cannot authorize it. The authorization code cannot be generated through endpoint https://api.smartthings.com/v1/oauth/authorize.

1 Like

@nayelyz any news for us?

2 Likes

@andresg Hi, Andres! Does your comment apply to my OAuth authorization issue as well?

Tagging @jody.albritton as well as @nayelyz since a lot of the demo apps are from his desk.

The silence on this topic is very odd. It should be easy to say: ā€œwe made a mistake and they are fixing the dev portal to allow automation apps as documented everywhereā€ or ā€œsorry, we donā€™t support automation apps anymore, please go elsewhereā€.

Hopefully it is just an oversite on the dev portal updatesā€¦but the silence says otherwiseā€¦without notice.

6 Likes

This is true. Despite the change in their developerā€™s platform, we always wanted to stay with SmartThings due we think it has many advantages from other Smart Home systems, but since we are stuck here, and we just donā€™t know for how long, we have decided to continue going so we already bought other HUBS to start the migration process.
Hope they can give us insights soon enough before we are forced to use other systems.