Privacy policy / Legal Information agreement fails (Network error)

Hi AverageJoe90,

I’m not sure if your situation is similar to mine, but I’ve just had and fixed (fingers crossed) an almost identical issue.

I’m running the latest SmartThings app on a iOS 14.0.

1. A random time period after opening the app (Version 1.6.51-435), this can be anything from 1 to 60 seconds, I am presented with a grey screen entitled “Legal Information”. If I manage to click on a menu or a button before this page appears it seems to delay the “Legal Information” screen being shown, but only temporarily.
  2. There is some text and a link to view the “Privacy Policy”, which opens another page and a button in the top right labelled ‘Done’. The ‘Done’ button appears to be the only way to exit the “Legal Information” page, but pressing it just causes a dialog box to appear. The dialog states there has been a network error, “A network or server error has occurred. Try again later” and just an Ok button to dismiss the dialog.
  3. Pressing the Ok button just takes me back to the “Privacy Policy” page.
  4. Restarting the app is the only way to get out of this.

I’ve attempted the following to resolve the issue:

• Signed out and signed back in.
  • Rebooted the phone.
  • Uninstalled and re-installed the app.
  • Turned off WiFi connection and attempted all the above on 4G connection.
    None of these actions have resulted in the issue being resolved.

At this point the app is effectively useless.

However I remembered that yesterday I enabled GitHub integration within the SmartThings IDE to allow me to add some custom Device Handlers. So I’ve went back and deactivated the integration:

1. From main page of the IDE, goto settings,
  2. Click the link entitled disconnect, just under “Default Namespace”.
  3. Follow the instructions
  4. Restarted the app and the problem is resolved, no instances of grey / legal information screen since.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

1 Like