Smart Zone motion detector (Zone Motion Manager) [Deprecated -- no longer supported]

Strike that…I used my device handlers and it seems to work…ill go try the sensors at home.
Thanks so much!!!

yea, it got renamed in the ide recently.

@Mike_Maxwell,

Can you refresh my memory? How do I set up SHM to use the Zone Motion Manager? I don’t see any virtual motion detectors in the list of motion sensors during the setup.

“Device handler” is the same as “device type,” you’ll see both terms used in the documentation and the forums, but they mean the same thing. :sunglasses:

You need to create a virtual motion detector for each of your zones.
This is created from the simulatedMotionSensor.groovy file listed above.

1 Like

Thank you for the refresh. Got the Simulated Motion Sensors setup. One note, when the simulated device is created; the device reports as active for about 15~30 seconds and then resets. After that, I set it up in the Zone setup and it fires as it should.

1 Like

@greg Did you ever find a way of achieving this? I’ve been trying to do something exactly like you described to help reduce false alarms.

1 Like

I did, but only by grouping every conceivable pair of motion sensors into their own zones.

I now have just under 30 motion sensors! That’s a heck of a lot of virtual zones! :frowning:

Thanks for the app! It solved one of my sensor getting false trigger issue.

A minor feedback, after I installed the App, the version number in the ST app show as 1.0.0 (ZMM) & 1.0.0a (Zone Conf).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll correct this in the repo.

I grouped 2 motion sensors for “False Motion Reduction”, sometime it doesn’t trigger the virtual zone motion sensor, but I can see the 2 actual sensors actually reflected “motion” in the app. I wonder does it have anything to do with the Activation Window?

On further experiment, I noted if I trigger 1st sensor first, wait for 2-3 seconds (Activation Window set at 5 second), and go ahead to trigger the 2nd sensor, the virtual zone motion sensor will not get trigger.

If I walk straight and triggered both the sensors almost at the same time, then the virtual zone motion sensor will get trigger.

The activation window is the time span during which both physical sensors must go active in order to trigger the virtual.
This zone type works best when the selected motion sensors are positioned to cover the same target area.

1 Like

Hi Mike, I am trying to install your ZMM applicaton, and have almost got it up and running. I have had to piece information together to get all three pieces installed. I have finally installed the simulatedMotionSensor as a device (it would not install any other way) but I still can’t get past the last screen. Pressing Done on the last screen I always get an “Error saving page” message. If you could help me out I would appreciate it. I think that maybe I must install the simulatedMotionSensor as a device, but I can’t figure that out. I think your work is amazing. Thanks,

Kent Johnson

There are three components that need to be downloaded from the repo and published, two smart apps zoneMotion Manager, zoneMotionChild and simulatedMotionSensor.
The first two are installed and published in smart apps, the device is installed and published in device handlers.
From the market place install zoneMotionManager, hit done. Then go to the smart apps flyout and re open zoneMotionManager. Click create new motion zone, fill out the selections, the motion device will be created automatically for you.
If you followed these steps and you are still receive the error I’ll need some more info to help, namely a screen shot of the smart apps section from your ide, and a screen shot from the ide debug logs showing the error in your mobile app.

1 Like

Thanks for pulling this together! Works great and solves real problems :slight_smile: I have it to tie together an ADT Pulse motion detector and a Aeon Labs 6 multisensor. Great app.

2 Likes

Hey @Mike_Maxwell ,

This is a great idea. I love this concept. I am having some trouble though, and since i am not really a dev, I don’t have a lot of expertise in the area.

I have two motion sensors and i am trying to setup a virtual sensor that combines the two using false motion detection. I was testing it out, and I couldn’t get the virtual sensor to trip even thought both motion sensors showed motion. I was able to test it with just one motion sensor and saw the virtual sensor trip, but no action with two detectors matched to a single virtual sensor. Not sure what i am doing wrong. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this or what i am doing wrong?

I appreciate all the help and troubleshooting you have given on this thread, so I apologize for requesting more advice, but really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

I was able to figure out what was going on. There is something funky with the activation vs. the constant sensing of motion as well as time frames. I’ll have to see which works better for my use case. Awesome software so far, and very exciting.

1 Like

Hey @Mike_Maxwell ,

I’m using your app and very happy with it, this resolves a lot of motion sensor issues.

Would it be difficult to include a Contact sensor along side with a Motion sensor?
Example: Door Opens and Motion is also detected.

-Brian

Try the the triggered zone type, it allows for contact sensors as one of the triggers.

1 Like