Smart Zone motion detector (Zone Motion Manager) [Deprecated -- no longer supported]

Sorry for the novice question in advance. I am 2 days into learning the ST programming, therefore I am fairly new to all this. I have managed to install my nest thermostat today, so I can use the software console.

Ok, so far I have managed to install the ZONE MOTION MANAGER and ZONE MOTION CHILD code to create my SmartApp. The Zone Motion manager program shows on my phone. So all is good!

My confusion lies with the simulated virtual motion sensor. I read above that this used to be created automatically, but not anymore!

Do I use the simulatedmotionsensor.groovy code to manually create a device or device type, or do I create a generic ST SIMULATED MOTION SENSOR using ST Code?

@NHENRY
Use my simulatedMotionSensor.groovy to create a new device in My device Types, save and publish this.
Then go to my devices, create a new device, from template, select simulatedMotionSensot, it will be at the bottom of the list. Give it a name that matches the zone you created, I use mZone-“zone name” so these are easy to find and keep separate from any real motion sensors you have.
In the child zone that you created, select this new device.
Unfortunately you need to create a new device in my devices for each new zone.

I’m over the moon thank you Mike! You have been a great help! Thanks for the time that you have spent to create this program.

I was not far off. I had created the device type and device using your code, but when I created the device, I had selected the Samsung simulated sensor instead of your simulated sensor at the bottom of the list!

Thanks once again!

Hi @NHENRY. I tried your virtual motion device and it doesn’t seem to be detected by the Smart Home Monitoring.
Can you help me out?

@lmosenko
what do you mean by detected?
All of the virtual motion sensors that I have are available to select in SHM.

You missundersteand. Sorry. I selected the vitual sensors in SHM and set the house to Arm(Away) and it waited for a few minutes for good measure. I than walked from my kitchen to the family room which has 2 motion sensors in between. This action should have checked if in fact both of the sensors were triggered and activated the siren. But nothing happened.

what zone type did you create in zone motion manager?, and does the zone work as expected when you look at the in the mobile app and the IDE?

@Mike_Maxwell
I just PM you.

I just released a patch for zoneMotionChild:
fixed: Motion Aggregation and Triggered Activation zone types incorrectly going inactive when a zone motion detector remained active longer than the timeout setting.
Please update your instance of zoneMotionChild, there is no need to update Zone Motion Manager

This issue has been driving me nuts for weeks, but of course it couldn’t have anything to do with my code… :grin:

3 Likes

I was wondering if it was possible to add a door sensor and a motion sensor together for false motion detection.

I am just trying to anticipate a situation where a door sensor could go flaky, and would trigger my alarm.

If I could create a logic state:-

Door sensor + motion sensor (within a set time) = true.

This would be great!

The zone motion manager only excepts motion sensors from what I can see!

Did you try a triggered zone type?, that zone type accepts a contact sensor, switch and a motion sensor.
That might work for your use case.

1 Like

LOL. I’ve been running into this in one of my zones and my troubleshooting process was “Mike does good work. The problem is probably in my setup.”

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, it’s perfect now. A well thought out SmartApp…Brilliant work!

1 Like

When I select “Create New Motion Zone” I get the dreaded “An unexpected error occurred.” Did they break your app?

Hmmm, doesn’t look that way, I just tried on a Samsung note 5 and galaxy s2, didn’t get the error.
Maybe try again in a little while.

1 Like

I really like this app - I have been looking for something that is very similar but not precisely what this app does - which is to look for motion on only a single motion sensor, and once it sees that motion, start a timer. If the motion ceases before the timer stops, then the action would simply be to do nothing, but if motion was still being detected once the timer stops, then continue on and activate a switch or whatever you would normally do.

The use case is this - I live on a fairly busy street - we occasionally have a problem with kids or homeless people stopping in front of our place and just hanging out - this is the scenario where i want to activate a floodlight and hopefully have them move along. But I don’t want to activate the flood for the casual person just walking by.

Does this make sense? I am not much of a coder, so not sure how much luck i’d have figuring this out on my own, but my gut tells me it shouldn’t be a terribly difficult addition to this already very cool app…

Let me know if this might be possible - and thanks for the neat work already…

Derek

It is, but not right now unfortunately…

Great work Mike,
Quick question on the simulated Motion Sensor. Can the ST Simulated motion sensor be used, or does it have to be a Virtual sensor created by your App?
Also not clear to me what the child is doing. Probably my ignorance, but should I be doing something special to configure it?

Thanks!!!

Has to be the one I provided, the ST sim sensor doesn’t work correctly.
However the app no longer creates this device for you (ST issue, not me), you need to create it in the ide, then select it within the motion zone that you create.
the child represents the motion zone that you are configuring, the parent does nothing than provide a container for the children.

Mike thanks so much for the reply. I don’t get the “my device types” menu in ide. I only get “my devices”, and “my device handlers”. Not sure why. How would I create the new simulated device? I dont seem to be able to create a device from code on the my device types.

Thanks again