Smart Windows - a new smartapp for those without AC

For those of us without AC, make windows smarter throughout the year!

Smart Windows compares a user’s preferred comfort zone to the current indoor and outdoor temperatures. The outside conditions support temperature devices, or pulls current conditions from Weather Underground. It then sends an alert if windows should be opened (or closed!) to cool or heat the house.

Here’s an example:

• comfort zone: 65-70°
  • inside: 73°
  • outside: 65°

These conditions will trigger a push message suggesting that windows be opened. Magic!

Bonus points for somebody who comes up with an Arduino actuator to automatically open windows! :slight_smile:

NOTE   This is theoretically v1.0, but there are almost certainly going to be some issues.

3 Likes

First I want to say thank you. I’ve been really looking for somethings like this for a long time. I seem to have a logic bug though in my situation.
If outside temp is 80 or above AND warmer then inside I’d like my windows closed. However, I’m getting this with max temp set for 79. If outside is 80 it doesn’t seem to matter if inside is warmer.

debug No notifications sent. Everything is in the right place.
9:00:44 AM PDT: trace Found 0 events in the last 0 minutes
9:00:44 AM PDT: info In: 90.0; Out: 80

9:06:53 AM PDT: info Open some windows to cool down the house! Currently 90.0°F inside and 60°F outside.
9:06:52 AM PDT: debug sending push message
9:06:52 AM PDT: trace Found 0 events in the last 0 minutes
9:06:52 AM PDT: info In: 90.0; Out: 60
9:06:52 AM PDT: trace Temp event: temperature:90
9:06:44 AM PDT: info Open some windows to cool down the house! Currently 100.0°F inside and 60°F outside.
9:06:44 AM PDT: debug sending push message
9:06:44 AM PDT: trace Found 0 events in the last 0 minutes

09:39:04: debug No notifications sent. Everything is in the right place.
09:39:04: trace Found 0 events in the last 0 minutes
09:39:04: info In: 100.0; Out: 80

10:47:10 AM PDT: info It’s gotten warmer outside! You should close these windows: sensors. Currently 90.0°F inside and 80°F outside.
10:47:09 AM PDT: debug sending push message

Hmmm… I’m not sure I follow. Going from bottom to top, it looks like:

1. max: 79
    in: 90
    out: 80
    currently: open
    suggestion: close windows
  2. max: 79
    in: 100
    out: 60
    currently: closed
    suggestion: open windows
  3. max: 79
  4. max: 79
    suggestion: do nothing

is that a correct interpretation? The logs seem correct, but I may be expecting the wrong behavior… in case 4 (the one I think you’re concerned about) it’s suggesting that you open windows because it’s hotter inside.

I might be missing something here. Without using the logs, could you explain what you’re expecting, with some examples?

Sure,
( I hope I explain this correctly)

My hottest comfortable temp in the house is 79, so if the outside temp drops below 79 and it is above 79 in the house tell me to open windows. But lets say my AC is off and my house has risen to 87 by the evening when the outside temp is dropping. It may be 86 and dropping outside and I’d like to be notified that and I should open my windows because it’s cooler outside.

Now lets say its morning, it’s 79 in the house, and the windows are open and its just risen to 80 outside. Then tell me to close the windows.

Ideally this behavior:

max: 79
out: x < inTemp (example x=80)
suggestion: do nothing

out: $currentOutTemp < $currentInTemp (example $currentOutTemp=80)

in: 79
suggestion: close windows

in: 100