Smart Weather Station Tile Device (add using IDE)

Ok, how do you pull that info?

Which info?

[quote=“Toy4Rick, post:131, topic:2710”]
I am trying to use the Smart Weather station tile app for Lux. Find that Lux doesn’t update very often and in the device “recent” log, lux is almost never listed, therefore anything I do in CoRE is not reliable.
[/quote]Just to note that the lux value from Smart Weather is totally artificial. See the code starting at line 308 in estimateLux: https://github.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/smartthings/smartweather-station-tile.src/smartweather-station-tile.groovy

2 Likes

lol that whole setup is so random…

case ['cloudy', 'fog', 'rain', 'sleet', 'snow', 'flurries',
				'chanceflurries', 'chancerain', 'chancesleet',
				'chancesnow', 'chancetstorms']:
				lux = 1000
1 Like

Totally explains why I get light, then other times nothing… and here I thought is was me not knowing how to setup the CoRE Piston

LOL
Rick

1 Like

The aeotec multisensor I use reports lux just fine, if that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t quite sure how that worked but now that I do I’m not that crazy about it (seems worthless). I have a BloomSky at my house and another about 2.5 or 3 miles away so I think I’ll just use them and maybe shit can the weather tile.

Thanks for the info.

Adrian - I’ve been playing with trying to get the two-or-three-digit string into an arithmetically usable decimal variable. I actually thought I had it last night, but now I can’t reproduce my admittedly hazy memory of success.

I have a variable with a string that is exactly two characters: “96” (yes, I’m in Florida, too). This comes from “Save attribute of feelsLike from WeatherUnderground”. I’ve tried to directly set a decimal variable to that attribute, but it never works - just a zero. What I thought worked was setting the string variable, which is right, and then setting a decimal variable to the string variable.

So, my question is: Is any of this supposed to work?

If not, do you foresee ever adding some string formatting/conversion to CoRE?

Thanks for everything!

Any chance of getting a true LUX reading incorporated into the weather tile? I would think the only way this would work is if you put in the name of a weather station that reports LUX. Right now I am pulling data from my Davis vantage which has solar data.

2 Likes

I too am using an aeotec multisensor for lux to trigger some lighting. The aeotec is under a covered patio on the nw side of the house so, while the readings are accurate for its location, it doesn’t necessarily serve the whole house too well.

My PWS is positioned much better to get accurate readings throughout the day. I see that WU is displaying illuminance measurements in watts/m2 from my PWS. I did a quick conversion from w/m2 to lux here:

http://www.egc.com/useful_info_lighting.php

The calculation is pretty simple, w/m2 * .0.249 for sunlight.

So I guess I don’t understand what the problem is for the Weather Tile app. Is it that WU API doesn’t let you query luminance data directly, it just gives you this condition list instead?

How do you get the outlet to report temperature? I can’t see anything obvious in CoRE

Thanks!

@Toy4Rick, Can you please detail your Piston for the refresh? I took a look, but nothing jumped out at me.

Kraig,

If Trigger happens every 5 minutes (this is done through Time Happens at every number of minutes)
Then
Using "weather"
Refresh

Rick

Thank you so much.

pardon me if I’m late to the party on this one.

Is there a way to have this Device.station tile app display info from a local station from WU?

I don’t have a WX station of any kind but a neighbor up the road shows up on weather underground map and I can see his station info. I’d love to be able to have a weather tile(s) that show all local data just not my own (station).

Anyone know if this is possible to point the smartapp to an online source rather than a (personal) local device?

@RBoy - I would like to use this tile/data to drive webCoRE functions for my Hue lights. Basically, if the weather is “overcast” or “cloudy” then I want the lights to be different versus if it is sunny.

Do you know what the actual field is, and what the different options are (actual field data) that I can use in my piston to make this work?

If you’re using the stock ST Weather Station you have a couple of options:

1. You can use the attribute weather and check for values like sunny, clear, cloud, fog, rain tstorms etc (the list goes on)
  2. Better way would be to the attribute illuminance

10000 = clear/sunny
7500 = party cloudy
2500 = mostly cloudy
1000 = cloudy
200 = thunder

The actual values will probably reduce around sun rise and sunset because of the way it’s calculated but during the day it’ should work fine.

I’ve got this app installed and I like it but I’d really like to disable the ‘weather alert’ sms messages I get. Is there an easy way to do this and if so, how?

I’m okay with commenting out the lines of code that might be required to do so if someone could help me show which lines to look at.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve got on my Hadashboard Smartweather Tile added as device under smarthings. Should I need any controller to get the API KEY I need to input in my code? If yes can you suggest me which device controller I can use? Type, model? great appreciate any advice.

@dckirker, when is this going to be active in the new app?