[OBSOLETE] Smart Weather Station Tile Device

There is a built-in device type to start from. In the IDE when creating a device you just have to scroll down to the entry for SmartWeather Tile in the device type list.

Then you set the ZIP code or PWS:stationID (from weather underground) in the mobile app and hit the refresh tile. However, it will NOT refresh on its own…

It has been stated in other places that the SmartWeather Station Controller doesn’t work in v2 hub - I haven’t tried it so this is UNCONFIRMED by me. To make it refresh on its own you need to use a SmartApp called Pollster. This will periodically call and get new data. Search in the community here for the latest version and how to install it.

A slight wrinkle here is that Pollster doesn’t work with this device type, as is. You need to make a local version of the device type, using the original as a template, and then add the Polling capability. The IDE has a way to create a new device type from a template, however, the new device type has the same name but is located at the bottom of the device type list - need to make sure that you pick the new/local device type when creating a device.

Why someone would create a weather tile device type and not have it out of the box support polling is a good question… At least it is fairly easy to add and I appreciate that someone did 99.9999% of the work.

1 Like