Smart switch trips circuit breaker

ge brand switch and add on switch trip breaker when used can someone help me

Sounds like there’s an overload on the circuit or the switch is wired incorrectly.

3 Likes

Breakers trip because something is wrong. How long has it been connected and working before the breaker started to trip. If since install then definitely sounds like a wiring issue. If recently then more than likely the circuit is overloaded or there a wire has been compromised (frayed).

I’ve checked and rechecked the wiring of the switches and it is correct.in the box where the primary switch is being located there is a second cable on a different circuit. a (black and a white) both capped off in the back of the box. I used the neutral(white) from that circuit as it is the only neutral in the box. Since this afternoon when i posted this i found out that the CB on this circuit is an AFCI. which will trip in this situation. My question now is, what would it hurt if i changed out the AFCI CB with a standard CB?

Depending where you live, it may violate code to remove the AFCI, you need to figure out why it’s there in the first place. Also if you are using the neutral from one circuit and the live from a different circuit that can always cause weird stuff and is not recommended and again is probably a code violation.

Here’s a discussion about that with the code references:

Is this a new installation or one that was working?

If one that was working but just started to do this - then the switch has failed and need to be replaced.

If it is a new install then your wiring is incorrect - more than likely you have a short loop in your traveler line that goes back to your load line (black wire). That is typically what causes a breaker trip when you attempt to use the switch.

since the circuit for this device has a neutral in the box where my add on switch goes but not one in the box where the smart switch goes(this box for the smart switch has another cable in it from a different circuit) can i use this second circuit (hot, neutral and ground) for my smart switch while using the neutral with the add on switch in the other box ? will this work as only the ground, traveler and neutral pass thru the add on switch.

You have to think of this linearly:

• Both the add-on and the master need neutral (white) and ground.
  • you need a dedicated traveler between the two (typically red)
    -the Master needs load (black).

Do not cross or mix-up these. Logically, a typical two location 3-way switch arrangement is done in two ways:
I’m assuming you have construction in the last 20~ years where you have neutrals in all of your boxes.

14/2 romex - white, black and ground (3 total wires)
14/3 romex - white, black, red and ground (4 total wires)

1. the circuit feed (usually 14/2 romex), remote/traveler (can be either 14/2 or 14/3 romex) and then the fixture (usually 14/2 romex) all in one box.
  • For this, one you need to identify exactly what wire you have between the master and the remote side - if you have 14/2 then you will have to identify and isolate this black wire because you will need to make the black line here your traveler.
    -if you have 14/3 then you will use the red line as the traveler and just cap off the black line on the remote side and it will be unused.
    -As I said, you should have 14/2 romex going between the two switch locations and you will just connect the neutral (white) to jump it between the two switch locations.
  1. the circuit feed (usually 14/2 romex) is in the remote box, remote/traveler (usually 14/3 romex) and then the fixture (usually 14/2 romex) is in the master box.
  • For this, one you still need to identify exactly what wire you have between the master and the remote side - Your black wire will connect over to the master switch across the traveler romex and the red is your traveler.
    -As I said, you should have 14/2 romex going between the two switch locations and you will just connect the neutral (white) to jump it between the two switch locations.

Do Not combine circuits. If you are still having issues after trying to make sense of this then you’ll need to call in an electrician.

The AFCI isn’t the issue. My whole house is covered by AFCI breakers where code requires them and I don’t have this issue with GE or other smart switches. Open up the boxes, take pictured and email to Smartest House support. They will help.

It’s a factor if the OP is using the live from one circuit and the neutral from another. Then the AFCI won’t work properly.

1 Like

If you use a neutral on a different circuit the afci will detect a power differential (power out on line does not equal power in on neutral) and trip. You should never use a neutral from a different circuit (code violation) and you can’t use a neutral from a different circuit on an afci because it will trip.

1 Like