Smart Lock Guest Access Overview

I have Samsung Smart door lock SHP-A30. this lock doesn’t need a hub to connect, instead it has a wifi-module.

Unfortunately, The smart lock guess app is not working and always pop-up message(No Locks are online. try again later) despite having all the door activity visible.

Any one has idea?

@Brad_ST

Brad no longer works at ST

I want to use ‘smart lock guest access’. when I click on it under the ‘life’ section of the app… the error message is ‘There was a problem connecting. try again later’.

what is wrong?

I should mention that i have paired my schlage door lock to ST app and I can do basic lock/unlock

login to IDE at https://accounts.smartthings.com go to the Devices section and locate your lock. What device type is assigned to the lock?

model of the lock? z-wave or zigbee

As always, you may wish to contact ST support directly to report the issue and let them investigate. :slight_smile:

thanks. I called ST and spent about 1.5 hours on the phone, the agent was very helpful but no success !
-my hub had to be reset for it to be registered properly to me and my email address. -we did that and then couldnt even get the schalge fe599 lock to pair with the hub!
-this was a step backwards as it had been paired fine for 6 months!
-remember , my only goal was to use the ‘smart lock guest access’

PROBLEM: the FE999 LOCK will not pair with HUB. I enter the 6 digit programming code into the lock and try to put it into ‘enrolllment mode’ but it immediately blinks red which I think means it refuses to be 'discoverable.

I dont think this has anything to do with the ST HUB, but am i mistaken?

Try powering down the hub for a few minutes, power it up and try excluding the lock through the ST app, then attempt to add the lock.

I will try because Im desperate :slight_smile:

but Im not familiar with excluding a device. what is that and how do i do it?

to perform a z-wave exclusion, in the ST app, open the the tile for your ST hub (in Devices section click on the Home icon in the upper left of the screen and choose "All Devices: and look for your hub to open it) then click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the screen and select z-wave exclusion. When you put the hub into exclusion mode you will then put your lock into exclusion mode… 6 digit prog code + schlage button + 0 (or I believe that is the correct way). Follow your lock guide for detailed info on excluding a lock. The ST app should report that a device was excluded. At that point, you can add the lock.

I did follow you suggestion but no success. I want to make sure Im not making assumptions that are incorrect

1. I put the hub itself into ‘exclusion mode’ for the purpose of then ‘excluding a device’ ?
  2. this confuses me because the lock is not showiing as a device in the app . is excluding a device the same thing as ‘deleting it’?
  3. on the FE599 lock. there are instructions for putting it in enrolllment mode but not for exclusion mode
  4. the instructions for enrollment mode is basicallyl what you suggested
  5. when i do it, the lock immdicately blinks red 6 times which seems to me to indicate an error
  6. are we sure the lock is talkking to the hub when it decides to blink red?

tagging @RBoy who is the lock expert on the forum

1 Like

You may need to bring the hub closer to the lock.

as for this part, when you deleted it, did you put the lock into exclusion mode? or did you force delete? force delete does not remove the connection from the lock and only way to resolve is exluding to get the lock ready again.

check the manual… it is also exclusion mode. There is a footnote: 4 Bridge must be put into enrollment mode before lock for successful enrollment/exclusion

Do you happen to remember what the battery percentage was displayed in the ST app earlier? Perhaps they are low and need replacing.

just curious if you were able to get Smart Lock Guest Access installed?

no. ironicallyl I spent 1.5hours with ST phone support to get the smart lock guest access installed. he made me do factory reset of the hub and now i cant even pair with the lock… so im moving backkwards! :sob:

yes , battery was over 60% so i doubt this is the reason

im not sure that applies to ST HUB, but i did try to put the hub in scan for devices mode and then did the enrolllment command on the lock

this is where im confused , i dont think i deleted the lock. it was not there after we did factory reset of hub. when I tried to exclude the lock, there was no icon to click on , i simply went down the reference list of supported devices and followed the generaic exclusion instructinoss for the fe599 , which again retuled in 6 red flashes

login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com go to the Devices section, if the lock is still there… delete it. Then exclude it again from the app and get the hub close to the lock

1 Like

FE599 can be finicky locks at times. I would start by putting in a fresh set of batteries, bringing the lock to within 3ft of the hub and then following these instructions:

On the FE599 it’s the same process for pairing and exclusion - Enter your Master code → Press Schlage → Press 0

The lock will not pair unless it’s excluded but it can be excluded multiple times.

@RBoy thanks I will try your suggestion…but what does ‘exclusion’ actually mean/do. am I excluding the ‘device’ ie the lock in this case? when i go thru the exclusion process on the app, the app just points me to generic instructions for a schlagle lock. when I execute that proceedure on the lock… is it the app or the actual hub that will then ‘move/exclude’ knowledge of that device.

is there any way to see what is exclulded or included by llooking in a file somewhere?

its hard to beleive it needs new batteries if the llittlel motors can easily move the lock between lock and unlock modes which i thinkk takes energy than zwave transmit…but im just guessing

Thx!

Exclusion is a two way process for the lock and hub to update their databases and routing tables. If there are non excluded devices in the routing tables then they can lead to ghost devices and it can cause all kinds of havoc in the mesh. See this write up on identifying and removing ghost devices.

1 Like

Sorry to bring this old thread up. I have a FE599 that was paired to a different non existent account anymore previously. I can’t get to pair to my hub. Is there a way to factory default everything, including zwave on this lock?

The FE599 looks like it’s a variant of the FE595 (probably specific to Lowe’s). Take a look at the factory reset instructions found on page 13 of this doc.