Smart Lamp

10 seconds seems reasonable to me. It’s unlikely anyone flips the switch and immediately calls for the echo for the scene.

Well, if you want to create a rule that says if you turn on the hall lights, turn on the lights on the stairs too, then that 10 seconds is an eternity.

1 Like

I thought the “not instant” on was simply a status update after a manual flip.

If both are off and then you turn on the hall light is there a 10 second delay all of the time?

I have a hall light that is on it’s own switch and a stair light that is on a separate switch. The switches are in different locations, and I regularly walk from one to the other to turn them both on or off. I’d like them to both be on or off together.

So, I created rules.
Hall on? Turn on stairs.
Stairs on? Turn on hall.
(same for off.)

The rule runs in the hub. The trigger of the rule is the hub recognizing that Hall or Stairs came on. The 10-second delay is longer than it takes me to get from one to the other.

-Todd

If the hall and the stair lights are controlled by the same switch, there won’t be a delay. If instead one “follows” the other, you have to wait for the hub to know that the first changed before the follower will change. So it all comes down to the details.

There are a lot of ways to set up that scenario depending on the exact devices involved.

1 Like

If those are both Zwave switches and both support association and they’re within one hop of each other, keep your rule (to update hub status) AND associate them both ways and you’ll get rid of the lag for the actual lights coming on.

1 Like

You and I have had this conversation before. The linear a do not support association.

Thanks.

Might try a touchless motion sensor narrowly targeted at the first switch, then. Motion sensors are not subject to the instant status patent.

1 Like

Wow! 10 seconds before the lights come on? Trust me, that’s not reasonable. I have only GE switches, and they are instant.

It’s not 10 seconds before the first set of lights come on. It’s 10 seconds after the first set of lights come on before the follower lights in the hall come on.

I agree that still seems a long time, but it’s the follower aspect that is getting caught with the lag.

Gotcha… Still, for me, I will not accept anything that lags for more than 1/2 a second.

If it does, I find a way to make it work better!

1 Like

The way to make it work better is to buy the more expensive switches that have paid for the patent.

Once you get used to it, it’s not that bad. It’s actually kind of nice at night, I can turn the first switch off as I’m leaving the room and the lights don’t all actually go out until I am out of the room.

This is an aspect of my HA setup, (Possibly the ONLY aspect) that bothers me a little, but my family just accepts it. But, boy, when a minimote button press doesn’t work, I never hear the end of it…

Sorry, off-topic.

Back on topic.

My Lowes buttons are not as perfect as I had hoped they would be. I had to make press and long press the same, because sometimes even though I only tap the button, it waits the three seconds and then does the long-press action. I made the deal 1 second and made them the same so that it appears to be working as expected for the main button function.

-Todd

1 Like