Smart Home Monitor

Is there a way to stop this annoying push notifications from SHM custom rules?

Sure. Go into your custom SHM rule, and then go into “Text and Push Notifications”, and remove all entries.

Maybe you’ve already tried that?

Maybe delete the custom rule and then recreate it?

Not sure why you’d want a custom rule if you didn’t want the notifications? Isn’t that usually the point of the custom rules? I use them to tell me if a door has been left open for too long, or when Presence sensors come and go, etc…

I tried this all, but w/o luck. I have an arlo cam which is monitoring my porch. And I only want to get notifications in the Home and Away mode, but not at night :frowning:
Unfortunately it’s not possible to say SHM only to send notifications during certain modes. The idea is to stop the SHM push notifications and to realize with “Notify me” or (web)CoRE.

SHM definitely allows you to customize the rules to only run for specific MODES. There is a small “More Options” + symbol at the bottom of the page where you select which sensors you want to monitor. In that section you can exclude your “Night” mode and only select Home and Away.

Yes you are totally right, there is an option. But if my understanding is correct that would switch the entire rule on and off and not only the push notifications. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t want to get push notifications in night mode, but the porch camera shall record if it detects a motion in night mode.

You are correct. So what purpose does the SHM custom rule server for you, other than notifications? I guess you could create 2 custom SHM rules: 1 for notifications (which only occurs for 2 of 3 modes) and 1 for whatever else you need the custom rule to do for all 3 modes.

I want to have the porch camera recordings in the Smartthings app without any alarms and without a push notification in night mode. The issue is that I get notifications still there are no entries in “Text and Push Notifications”

I don’t believe it will help me to create more SHM custom rules. Unfortunately Smartthings support doesn’t really help on this. I opened a ticket one week agao and only heard, they have to talk with the engineering team. :frowning: Maybe “My Contacts” is the problem. Do you have this activated?

I do have “My Contacts” but I have never tried to “not have a push notification” when using Custom SHM Rules. I’ll take a look at it over the weekend.

have you tried deleting the custom SHM rule and recreating it without ever setting up the Push/Text notifications? Maybe that will work?

That would be great if you could try it out.

Yes, I tried to remove and recreate the SHM custom rule, but without any changes. The push notification will be send out to all users in your account. Also the Hub is offline and battery level push notification doesn’t work with the “My Contacts” activated.

Thanks for trying this out! over the weekend!

Just ran a quick test and you are absolutely correct! Even without setting up the Text/Push settings, I received a Push Notification.

However, I did find a workaround! Add a new contact to your “Contact Book” with just a bogus phone number (e.g. 999-999-9999). Use this contact for your SHM Custom Rule used for the Cameras. This will suppress the push notifications altogether for this rule.

Then, add another custom rule and use your real Contact(s) for the push/sms notifications. For this rule, use the advanced options to suppress the rule during the Night Mode.

Thanks for that. Sounds interesting. I will try it out and will let you know if that works for me.
Good workaround, I believe. Would be great if that would work.

Hi im new to all this. I just started using smart home monitor. Hiw do i add to it to call my cell phone if there is an intrusion?
I also want a keypad to disable the alrm when a let sitter enters the house. I guess rhe unlocing with a code of my achlage connect smart lock could disarm the system amd a lock code could arm rhe syatem.
I have no idea how to do this can u help?
Thanks
Todd

Hi
Do you write custom apps. For consumers?

How do i do that?

Hi Todd, welcome to ST and the Community. You’ve replied to a discussion that’s a couple years old, and a lot have changed since then.

SHM (or anything in ST) doesn’t use the contact book anymore, just push notifications from the app, and anyone you’ve set up to use the app under Manage Users. You can also configure it for text messages.

1 Like

HI JOhn,
Thanks for the note

I am new to smartthings, Just put sensors on all my doors and motion detectors in lots of rooms, and a touchscreen lock on a door.

There are a few things missing for me and I dont know how to “download the SHM” latest and modify it, are there people who do this ?

1. I wanted to have a button to ARM the alarm in Stay mode or Away mode, are there buttons that can signal two states or a keypad that hooks to the system ? so anyone in the house can easily set the alarm when they leave.

If I can get the pet immune motion detectors I can make ARM always be Away.

1. Are there motion detectors that work with the smarthings hub that are PET immune systems? I bought the samsung smartthings motion detectors and my dog sets it off.

2. I wanted the system to call me on my cell phone when an intrusion is detected so its not just a popup notification.

3. I wanted the alarm to be turned off via the smart lock , when a valid code is punched in.

4. I want the alarm to turn off when Either my wife or myself drives up, and ideally armed when we leave.

Whats the best way to modify the system or do people write whole systems from scratch ?

thanks for the help with Smartthings.

Todd Basche

650-346-6718

Hi Todd,

There tons of things you can do, and I know it can be overwhelming, but hang in there. BTW, you might want to remove your phone number from your most recent post.

Let’s start answering a few of your questions. First, SHM isn’t something you download like a typical custom app, but it should be in the Marketplace if you’ve never set it up before. Please NOTE, SHM is different in the Classic app compared to the new app.

Second, there are tons of other posts that will help you with this, and many other ST stuff. I know some of them can be long, but it’s worth your time finding and reading through these, especially since you’re new.

Yes there are, as well as a few very good device handlers (DTH) and smartapps. I use @RBoy’s code for both the DTH and the app, which he does charge a small fee for, but well worth every penny. The link is below for more detail about the app and DTH. I don’t use a button controller, like Aeon’s device, instead I use Lowe’s Iris keypad. It works great, it let’s you use individual codes, and has been very reliable for me.

Yes there are, but ST and the previous gen Lowe’s aren’t. This is a popular question, so try searching for people’s recommendations and experiences. This is what I use, and it works great with our medium size dog, and average cat (RBoy has a DTH for this too):

ST can’t do that “out of the box”, but you may be able to get creative with IFTTT (another good tool to learn about).

I don’t do something like this, but I believe @RBoy’s app may do this. Be sure to read up on that link, any maybe pose your question there if it’s not already answered.

This is how I arm SHM. I use a combination of mobile presence (phones) and ST’s arrival/presence sensors in my cars. After some fine tuning to my geofence, and ensuring I had a zigbee repeater in the garage (highly recommended), this has been working very well for me. Again, lots of posts in the Community about use cases just like this one.

It depends on what you want to do and if the built-in ST functionality doesn’t do what you want. Many people use the WebCore smartapp to get very creative with ST. Search for that too. Some folks like me have created little apps to fill in gaps that ST can’t really do vs. using larger apps like WebCore. Again, it all depends. I think you’ll figure that out as you learn more and see what others are doing.

1 Like

John
Wow thanks that was a HUGE help and a giant step forward for me.

I love the lock management from Rboys and I am still struggling to get the control panel(to set away, home, night) for the security app working .

Good tip for the pet immune sensors I ordered those today. !

Regrading presence detection for me and for my wife.

Can you be more specific how you do that ?

I can put life360 on both of our phones or ifttt but which applets to run to detect Arrival and Departures ?

then I want to disarm system when either of us show up, and ARM when BOTH leave or we are home and its 1AM.

THANKS

Todd

1 Like

I have 1 of these in each vehicle, and another for a guest that comes over to take care of the dog while we’re away:

https://www.smartthings.com/products/smartthings-arrival-sensor

I do not use Life360, instead I use ST’s mobile presence capabilities that’s already part of your system:

The way I arm/disarm SHM, and do a lot of other automations, is through a Routine. Here are a sample of some that I use. Some are built in, and some are added by me:

Within the Routine, as well as most apps, you can specify how to trigger them through presence, or in the example below, when certain sensors leave: (note that mode in the picture below is the hub’s mode, not SHM. there is a difference)

Remember, I’m doing all of this in the Classic app.

There’s a lot to learn, and there are a lot of posts about SHM, so do’t get frustrated and research on the Community because I bet you’ll find what you’re looking for!

1 Like

Thanks John for all your help
The rboys apps make the hw into a real solution.

I think i have everything working now wow
Thanks so much.

Todd
650-346-6718

2 Likes