Smart air vents

Noting all this for when we replace our HVAC system next year! Good stuff!!!

Nest calls this “AirWave”

1 Like

Just a comment to a lot of these issues. In an attempt to reduce duct work in my house, and have better evenly cooled house, I have been eyeing one of these: http://spacepak.com/consumer-central-air/small-duct-high-velocity-central-air.asp

A bit more expensive, but it runs smaller duct work (ergo I can run between my floors easier and remove the kitchen’s lowered ceiling). These are “High Velocity” A/c units. Check it out. Might solve some peoples problems (at a premium though)

1 Like

It sounds like that might be really loud. I didn’t see any mention of that on the website - can you confirm?

When they first were released, they could, but they claim (they, meaning the technology as a whole) that the sound has been greatly reduced thanks to Sound attenuation wrapped venting. To be honest, your pushing air 3x faster than a traditional A/C. The good news is even though it wont be as silent as an existing unit, it wont be on as long either, and it creates air flow in the whole room.

I’d evaluate High Velocity Air Conditioners if your interested.

Maybe I’m not understanding that technology correctly but it requires all new ducts, albeit much smaller flexible tubes, be passed through the whole houses walls and ceilings? That’s a lot of work unless you are talking about a new construction

If that’s the case, I wonder why they didn’t consider the same system but with the tubes running down existing A/C ductwork.

Well the technology has many benefits:
Better cool air circulation
Quicker cooling of a room
Smaller ducts (removal of drop ceilings, new houses, or retrofits)

You surely could run them through existing duct work—they never said it wasn’t an option. And my focus on suggesting this technology wasn’t to Segway into a duct work conversation, but more just for people to be aware of another A/C option for better cooling and air circulation. I am personally considering it to remove some drop ceilings that I absolutely hate on a house built in the early 80’s.

Our EV100 vents have been tested and certified by the SmartThings engineers. The bugs they had in their standard Multi-Level Switch driver have been fixed. (a problem with the SmartThings driver, not with our Z-Wave certified vent) SmartThings has also added a vent icon that shows up when you pair our EV100 vents. We have have also developed a SmartThings app. that supports simple configuration of vent control based on schedules, temperature or room occupancy. In the coming weeks, we plan to introduce a new lower cost decorative series of Z-Wave vents.

2 Likes

Lower cost
that has a nice ring to it!

Can the vents be ceiling mounted?

Yes, ceiling and wall mounted is supported.

@EcoNetBlake - be sure to let us know when the new ones are out as well!

@chrisf is spot on about this. The resolution is a plenum/door system, designed to divert air to other areas with the same effective “load” for each zone, but much more expensive than these little registers.

@EcoNetBlake this is great news. Will the new decorative plates hide that bright blue and green Econonet logo? The colors won’t float with my better half. A reduced size black and white advertisement might be ok.

1 Like

My wife feels the same way. She doesn’t even like me using our home for testing our vents. There will be a choice of styles/types and the logo will only be visible on the bottom side of the vent. High tech for the designer home is the idea. The small red/green led indicator will be visible through the space in the grate bars when it lights up.

You can get a look at what the vents will look like at: http://www.econetcontrols.com/newst.php
(This EcoNet site post is preliminary and has not yet been published)

2 Likes

Awesome again. I’ll be first in line when they go up for order.

Make sure that the LEDs can be disabled. My life doesn’t need any more indicator lights.

1 Like

@EcoNetBlake - Those decorative vents are very nice! I have a feeling you will get a bunch of customers from the boards here
especially if ST puts it in their blog as well.

I have one (1) EcoVent installed, and will probably be ordering several more. Works great with my SmartThings hub, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to schedule the Open / Close on a time schedule. Ideally, I’d like it to Open at 7am and Close at 6pm. The device installs on the SmartThings app as a switch, but Open / Close functions don’t translate to On/Off in the SmartApp config. Any ideas??

On/Off events should translate to open/close. What SmartApp are you using?

Thanks - working perfectly now. The only option I had for the App is for a Light/Switch.