Slow Android phone presence sense

I currently have a galaxy note 3 and it takes a long time for when i arrive home to detect that I am home to switch modes and/or complete actions. My wife’s iPhone 5s detects her presence immediately when entering the geofence. I have to be inside the house before mine picks up. Anybody out there having this slow detect problem too?

Hi
I am having similar issues. I have a Nexus 5, and I have some delays to, which results in me being inside the house before I appear present. Sometimes I’m not picked up at all, and I have re-start the phone.

I had to restart the my wife has a Moto x on the first occasion, for it to start working, but now she gets picked up quite quickly, and by the time we are at the house she is present already.

I’m not a developer and have not looked at the code in anyway, but I think it may be the integration between the app and specific phones. Some phones are more active and hence provide present info to the ST app to be able to action it quickly.

Hope this helps

Hi @viks I have even turned on GPS location on my phone to see if it helps and it doesn’t help. I’m hoping I don’t have to get a presence sensor to make this work like it’s supposed to.

I can only suggest one other thing. apart from trying to restart the phone, which is to widen the geofence.

This is done by going to the Dashboard and then:

• Swipe to the left, to show the “Shop”, “My Account” and “Support” options
  • Select the Cog icon on the top right of the screen
  • Select the “Tap to edit you home location on the map”
  • Place and hold your finger on the back dot on the edge of the red circle, for 3 or 4 seconds. This should turn the circle a darker shade of Red. (May need some practice as its not easy to do)
  • Widen the circle (which is the geofence)
  • Select “Done”

Hope this helps

@viks, I tried that already with no luck, I’m going to purchase a presence sensor

I’m actually getting something much worse with my Moto X and my wife’s Moto X. It will detect us fast enough when we arrive, but will mistakenly signal we’ve left and returned every couple hours. This is quite annoying and makes them essentially useless.

If I wanted to trigger anything at all based on presence, even an SMS when one of us arrives home, the thing goes on/off all night long while we’re sleeping. The actual event of incorrectly saying we’ve left is probably every couple hours and then 5-10min later we “return.”

I’ve actually tried playing with the geofence exit settings and radius quite a bit and it doesn’t seem to really change anything. Our geofence is already much larger than our neighborhood, which is also already quite big, and I’ve got the exit delay cranked to the highest available at 5 min.

Both phones have the full battery of location services running as well, including GPS and Wifi. I’m at a loss and am just assuming bug in the app at this point.

I actually have the same issue right now with it being slow to detect my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4, and as a result my lights don’t turn on right away. Sometimes it takes up to 10min for my phone to be detected. Everything worked fine when I first set it up, but I think I started seeing this issue after the recent App update, but I’m not entirely sure if that is accurate.

My wife and I have galaxy S4s. My phone had the issues with leaving while I was still in the house. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app. Now they are both having issues sensing when we leave. We will both leave and sometimes it never detects one of the phones leaving.

I have recently purchased a new iPhone 6 plus and my wife has an iPhone 6 too. All problems have now disappeared. iOS is a superior operating system when it comes to SmartThings. Hopefully things will get better now that Samsung is onboard. Good luck to all Android users, I’m sure SmartThings is about to get a whole lot better.

I have noticed a better response time and better running on our phones recently. Also, to see the up coming things from the Samsung development show, getting really excited.

I’m having a really hard time with this android delay right now. Started about a week ago. Hopefully clearing the app’s cache will fix it.