SkyBell 2.0

Hello everyone. I purchased the Skybell 2.0 a few weeks ago and had some issues setting it up. The wifi address it was broadcasting differed from the one on the setup code. I contacted Skybell tech support and while they stated that they couldn’t resolve that issue I was happy with their level of support. I received an email immediately after as follow up and instructions on the return process.
The return process was a little confusing as I had to contact Woot first and was the directed to Global Technology. But in the end everyone was helpful and a replacement was send 2 day from California to Florida. I did have to pay shipping the return which I didn’t care for as that just added to the cost.
Setup and install of the of the new Skybell was easy and took about 5 minutes for it to get on my network.
That being said I am very happy with a wifi doorbell. Some break ins in our neighborhood and my daughter being home alone sometimes the Skybell in conjunction with my SmartThings V1 hub and Foscam cameras gives me peace of mind.
But the video is atrocious in regards to color. The audio has a LOT of noise. The range of view is fine for me as it place in a small area anyways. I have a Nest too so interested in that integration.
I will keep my eye on the HD version and would be willing to test and review if asked!

I have the SkyBell 2.0 and have been fairly satisfied with it. I have 2 major gripes with it that prevent me from recommending it. I just found this thread and I am pretty disappointed in what I am seeing here. From my experience there are 2 big gaps in this product:

1. Video is not recorded. This seems to be solved by HD version but evidently nothing for existing owners. Having not experienced what is provided to HD owners, I can’t say if it actually meets the need. But basically, I find that video is almost useless with being able to review a recording of prior events. Typically, by the time I open up the app and start the video, the person is gone. If they stole a package from my front door I would have no record of that.

2. No integration with SmartThings. Again new version has IFTT and Nest support but neither of these is relevant. What I want is to be able to simply use the motion detection to trigger the light above front door. Pretty simple use case. Camera is useless at night without this. Again, some progress for HD owners, and 2.0 owners are left in lurch.

@SkyBellAndrew, is there any plan to solve these issues for your early supporters? Otherwise, I will look for another solution and avoid SkyBell and other companies that do not stand behind the products they sell.

Incidentally, Honeywell had a similar silo issue with Lyric at first but they solved it through a firmware update and now integrate with SmartThings. Hopefully more companies tear down these silo walls.

Hi There. SkyBell 2.0 should have video recording. If you do not see it, then you should contact customer service.

SkyBell 2.0 is also not built on the SkyBell Connect API platform. Only the HD is built on that platform. Similar to most technology companies, we perpetually innovate and we took a big step with the platform for SkyBell HD. SkyBell HD is compatible with IFTTT, Alexa, Honeywell TotalConnect, Alarm.com, IControl, Works with Nest, Comcast Xfinity Home (pending) and soon SmartThings. We understand the frustration around new features and capabilities being introduced in newer models of product. This is why we had an upgrade program for existing SkyBell users.

1 Like

There are lots of great ways to get coverage at the front door. We’ve now partnered with Alarm.com and Honeywell TotalConnect to give homeowners even more ways to get coverage at the front door and have it be compatible with the platform of their choice.

We look forward to supporting SmartThings and understand if you chose other ways to monitor your front door.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I like this product

Skybell HD just got official integration

Ash - Did you get a response on this from Skybell, how can we have a UNLOCK button on the skybell app?

Hello Andrew, How do I find out more on the upgrade program for existing skybell owners? Does it apply to the skybell trim also? Thank you.

Yes, they are really the worst product company. I have a skybell classic and when they released the skybell HD, they stopped supporting the skybell classic. I cannot get notification or video recording anymore, I can use it just like a regular doorbell now. Then, they tried to convince me to buy the new HD version and of course I won’t cuz they will again stop supporting the HD when the new one come out. Imagine you got a smartthings v1 and when v2 come out, it stops working and the support only ask you to spend hundred of dollars to get a new one, same for v3 and on and on. All they want is to get your money and no interest to support their product.